Greetings from deepest darkest Dorset

Tim GC

Hi Folks,

Found the site, joined the site, binge read a LOT! Got inspired, checked the workshop (shed at the bottom of the garden), ordered a skip to make some room and will be ready to research and build shortly. Main area of interest, late 18th - mid 19th. However a man's gotta know his limitations, so a Victory kit will not be dropping through the letterbox any time soon! I do however like Alert and have ordered a kit from Vanguard.

I will be starting smaller so I am looking for a kit that would make a good match for one of the boats from Victory, something around 1/24. Any and all suggestions gratefully received!! There is method behind my madness. I wish to make a gift to a very good friend who will be leaving the Royal Navy at the end of the year. I have a couple of chunks of HMS Victory (with the certificates) and will be incorporating some of it within the build. I have already turned a pen set for her and this would finish the pressie nicely.

I will try not to ask too many stupid questions along the way, but if you don't ask then you will never find out.

Enough waffle for now.

Tim

Welcome aboard mate. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new obsession. Sounds like you may have an aptitude for modeling since your already turning pens.   Bill in Idaho

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hello Tim,

Welcome to MSW from a chilly part of Sussex.

Hope that shed at the bottom of the garden is heated and draft-proofed!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

Hello Tim,

Welcome to MSW from a chilly part of Sussex.

Hope that shed at the bottom of the garden is heated and draft-proofed!

Oh yes, (the Master at arms got me an IR heater for xmas). Its a prefab double garage without the doors, insulated and lined, WiFi, 240V 80A power, and a compressed air ring. Bandsaw, Table Saw, Hegner XL 200 Lathe, Drill Press, Bench top R8 Milling Machine with a Bench top 'Metal lathe' arriving shortly and there's a  planer thicknesser somewhere in there. 20 years of wood turning and crafting Rocking Horses you collect a lot of "stuff"

Welcome aboard Tim.

Panart do a 1:16 Victory longboat, not sure how accurate it is, but looks nice enough.  Cornwall Model Boats are stockists, there is also some nice boat kits by Model Shipways of the scale you are looking for, although not of the Victory, CMB also stock these.

Gary

Welcome aboard Tim,

You are doing a very thoughtful thing for your friend.  Keep in mind Victory had as many as seven different ship's boats about the time of Trafalgar so you have choices which is a good thing.   Depending on the time frame of Victory she had changes in the types of boats.  For the most part I believe she would have carried a combination of cutters, launches (which replaced longboats by order of the Admiralty about 1780), perhaps a pinnace, et al.    There are a lot of drawings out there, and if you have a few tools, scratch building may be something to consider.   Other than the kit of the longboat from Chuck Passaro at Syren (and I believe offered at Model Expo as well) there are not a lot of kit choices.  Unfortunately the longboat is not appropriate type  for Victory but still may something to consider.

Again, welcome aboard!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW, Tim.  I can't add much to what's already been said but when you start buiilding, open a build log.  It's a great way to get help and meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)