Vanda-Lay treenail maker

Does anybody use the Royal Products treenail maker? I have Ave one and like it. They no longer produce them. I guess the demand isn’t there. I see a lot of posts here that ask “how can I fasten this to that” and I want to jump in and say “use a treenail” but, making treenail with a draw plate and some chopsticks is a task I wouldn’t wish on anyone. If there are enough people that are interested, perhaps Royal Products could be persuaded to make them. Or maybe Jim Byrnes could tackle it. It would slot in nicely with his product line. I don’t know about patents or copyright stuff that would need to be addressed.

NEW_HIP_W_TNM.JPG

The treenail maker is mounted on the end of the Dremel motor. It's sort of a pencil sharpener kind of gizmo.  I don't believe Vanda-Lay Industries offers the treenail maker anymore. It's not listed on their website anymore.  You might give them a call and ask.  https://vanda-layindustries.com/index.html

Jerry,

I believe there was little interest in that they only offered two size cutters, 0.02 and 0.03",  which are actually pretty useful sizes for 1:48 scale builds.   A draw plate such as the one from Jim Byrnes can be used for 30 different diameters from 0.017 and larger to 0.057     As to not wishing making treenails on anyone, yep it can be a tedious task.  I did a study over a few days some years back and found that I could produce about 300 bamboo trennals per hour.  With 10,000 to 12,000 in a typical hull of a fully framed model, that's 40 hours of making trennals.   Out of curiosity, how long would it take to make 12000 on the Vandalay unit based on your experience?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

With those sizes, there-in may have been the problem getting anyone to buy these.  For a 1:96 scale those are 2 to 3.5 inch diameter treenails which are way over scale.  Still would be a good fit for 1:48 scale, not so much for 1:64.

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

My last boat is held together almost exclusively by tree nails - I must have used close to 5000. Easy and inexpensive to make in bulk using needles, a drill press and a disc sander down to a diameter of 0.5 mm. Fast too. There is a thread on this somewhere on MSW

A cylindrical sized trunnel isn't always necessary. Cutting a "pie-shaped-sectioned" cross-grained length of soft wood of suitable size and cutting off little wedge shaped pieces parallel with the grain is often another option. Many of these little "chips" can be made very quickly. When a properly-sized little wedge is driven into a hole drilled in harder wood, the softer wedge will compress to fill the hole without deforming it. When finished flush to the surface, these are undistinguishable from a sized cylindrical trunnel.

I don't do much treenailing, but a method I use for making small round parts might do the trick.

Treenail1.jpg.4feee3e81ffc7bf32ba3f0844e06687a.jpg   Treenail2.jpg.2d3310dc032457b5ee4b6f5639ba17f8.jpg

I have this set of brass collets for dremel that I use for rounding off small parts like the axels on my cannon.

Should be just as fast as any other method if you are making them one at a time..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I looked at the Vanda-Lay contraption years ago. Essentially it is what watchmakers call a 'rose-cutter' and as I have a set going from 0.4 mm upward, there was no need for me.

However, it should not be too dificult to make such rose-cutters yourself. You need to drill a hole of the diameter of the tree-nail into a piece of silver-steel, file the cutting teeth (like saw teeth) and then harden it (heat to a red glow and drop into water, then temper to a straw colour). These cutting teeth should be sharpened/honed at their breath, not at the sloping back.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

How do you file the teeth inside a hole that is 1mm or smaller?

The corners on the collets  I showed are plenty sharp for turning soft wood.

—MICHAEL ROSE

I agree with Eberhard.  I made cutters of brass in the past much as he describes, to cut axles and such, and for hardwood like box or similar, they would not hold up for thousands of treenails without continually having to sharpen them.   Carbon steel that is hardened is the way to go.   In the end, I believe a drawplate is faster and will work with the tiny  sizes most of us need.   

Gregory, when you say softwood, which are you referring to?   Just curious.

Thanks

allan 

hypodermic needles of various sizes are available.  Cut teeth on the edge and use it to drill through a piece of wood of the correct thickness.  as you drill one the previous one is pushed up the tube.  BTW drill into the end grain to get stronger treenails.  This method is easy but slow as you have to stop every few times to clear the needle.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Well, with a needle and a drill press 200-300 in 15 min should be achievable. Have a look in this old thread, maybe it would work for you.

Edited by vaddoc

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Gregory, when you say softwood, which are you referring to?   Just curious.

I have had success with bass, cherry and whatever toothpicks are made of.

I have also used boxwood and pear, but I'm not talking about thousands of pieces.  

When I said soft, I was thinking in terms of softer, as opposed to stuff like ebony or mahogany..

—MICHAEL ROSE

• 1 year later...

Try contacting Vanda-Lay.  However, unless you are building 1:48 or larger, they will be over-scale sized.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Tolis,

Welcome to MSW!!!

Assuming it is a ship, what ship are you building and to which scale?  

Allan

Edited by allanyed