HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by JPR62 - 1:48 scale

Great Jean-Paul. Everything is coming together nicely... planking.. fashion piece... transom... well done.

Mike

Looking great, nothing beats Chuck’s method for planking. Glad it’s working for you. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you all for your kind comments.
I am fortunate to be able to work on a really well-designed kit, to have a precise and well written documentation and to be able to base myself on the work already done and described by many talented modelers 😁.

Paul, I don't have a large number of finished models, but compared to Alaskan yellow cedar, cherry is a harder wood. It is a bit more brittle and difficult to bend than cedar. But if you moisten it well, it's still pretty easy to work with.  On the other hand its advantage, it is less easily marked than cedar.

Two woods to be apprehended differently but this is what makes the charm of this hobby 😉. However, in my opinion, cedar is easier to work with.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 1 month later...

Hows the Cheerful coming along?  I am eager to see that hull all planked up!!!

Stay well

The work is progressing slowly because unfortunately my job takes up a lot of my time these days and I can only devote a little time to my hobby.
However, I have made some progress.
The electrical part has been installed in order to light the two rooms.

Electric_01.thumb.jpg.b17e4f1a8d9648dffb082a56626ca931.jpg

Electric_03.thumb.JPG.444bad65b1b7c6330af6822b5766ace7.JPG

Electric_04.thumb.JPG.5be7b82677d18b3b207c5784a4052539.JPG

And the planking of the second belt has started. I still have 3 rows to port and 5 rows to starboard to finish.

2_Belt_01.thumb.JPG.6d1c07d93a739c341dcf9326c31855d8.JPG

2_Belt_06.thumb.JPG.76c3e17eb21f20f60d0b099866c5d2cd.JPG

In a few weeks, I hope to have more time to finish my planking. But I'm racking up the hours these days at my office... I  look forward to quieter days 😉.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

So nice to see you still at it - quit the job and work on your hobby full time 😄

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 month later...

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

With the critical period finally over at my job, I was able to devote some time to my hobby again and finally finish planking the hull.

A good step passed. 🙂

CC_Hull_01.thumb.JPG.a5e3a1fd4713eab1f640ad3d90f4dfce.JPG

CC_Hull_02.thumb.JPG.5c718433bda942cc07ac04126c9340a4.JPG

CC_Hull_03.thumb.JPG.c311a00dfa680f42d95c2ed509c42077.JPG

I decided to proceed to the treenailing of the hull. But I unfortunately broke the only drill bit of size #78. While waiting for a new batch of drills to be delivered, I decided to proceed with the last task producing a large amount of sawdust: to thin down the bulwarks inboard.

CD_Bulk_F02.thumb.JPG.5ea244712deba2cf3de028f7a824613b.JPG

I started by roughing it all up with my Proxxon rotary tool. Then I finished the process using various home-made tools on which sandpaper was glued.

CD_Bulk_F07.thumb.JPG.96d1ad5185ed2bd2af14e6b365db73e5.JPG

You will notice that to consolidate the planking of the hull, I coated the inside with a thin layer of woodfiller.
I can now proceed to the installation of the false deck.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Simply stunning, Jean-Paul. The finish on the cherry planking is incredibly beautiful. The cedar may be easier to work with but I think you will be rewarded grandly for the extra effort of using cherry. Well done!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you to all the 'Likes' and thank you for your kind words.

Bob, I agree with your opinion on cherry wood. It is a warm colored wood. I still have to find the right color of wood filler for the treenailing.

I will proceed with testing as soon as my #78 drill bits arrive.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• 2 weeks later...

As I am still waiting for a package of #78 drills for the treenailing, I decided to assemble the different fittings of the deck.

CE_WindL_01.thumb.JPG.69d6807485b4ee9da4e00a49ce5b5091.JPG

They are mini projects in themselves. Again, we can only thank Chuck for the quality of these mini kits and for the precision of the assembly instructions.
It's a real pleasure. Just take your time and follow the instructions precisely. What a pleasure!

CE_WindL_02.thumb.JPG.8e4b54274c47e371523e4c914dffe15b.JPG

The windless will definitely be mounted once it has been painted. I will wait until the internal planking of the bulwarks is finished to paint all the elements at once. For the moment nothing is glued.

CE_WindL_03B.thumb.JPG.090fd747069750a4b8d221ab9d7aee42.JPG

I started to mount the skylight.

Again a lot of fun to work on this element. And with the extra parts provided, no worries in case of mistakes (I had to redo one of the top frames because I managed to sand on the wrong side...)

CE_WindL_04B.thumb.jpg.95af9739d382b376da17af2521689a7f.jpg

I filled all the gaps and sanded the skylight thoroughly before mounting the coaming.

As usual, I tint the woodfiller in the final color of the element, which allows me to control my sanding more finely.

CE_WindL_05.thumb.JPG.aa170a07d29fc1d20868d23016661f95.JPG

For the coaming assembly, I put the skylight on a wooden board to simulate the thickness of the deck planking.

Once this fitting is complete, I will mount the gratings.

Merry Christmas to everyone 🎄

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

You should consider not tree nailing the hull. It is very beautiful as it is. My opinion is the tree nailing gives the hull a case of the measles. I’m still quite happy with my decision to forgo tree nailing on mine. 

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

You should consider not tree nailing the hull. It is very beautiful as it is. My opinion is the tree nailing gives the hull a case of the measles. I’m still quite happy with my decision to forgo tree nailing on mine. 

I concur with Glenn. As stated elsewhere on the forum, the "trunneling" of hulls - even at 1/4" scale - is aesthetically over-the-top. Besides, if you omit this dubious procedure, you'll not have to worry about giving her a shot of the Shingles vaccine in her old age.🤣

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Treenailing at 1:48 can be a beautiful thing or as stated above it could look like the hull has a bad case of the measles.  When your drill bits are in hand, drill some test pieces.   Rub a touch of PVA in the holes and sand by hand or with a light touch of a vibrating mouse type sander to fill the holes.  Let it cure then apply whatever finish you plan to use, be it an oil or poly or whatever.  I have done this with castello and it give a very subtle look such that you can see them, but they do not jump out at you.  I would suggest bamboo which I love as the color is also very subtle, for castello and boxwood, but may be too stark of a contrast to cherry.

Looking forward to your test results.

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Glenn, Ron and Allan for your great advice and thanks to everyone who is following this build.

CF_DECK_02B.thumb.JPG.0e86c2ee3ddb9fd890e8d77de0628aca.JPG

I will definitely be testing for hull treenailing. I've already prepared a reproduction of the planking and I'm still waiting for my order for the drill bits (Covid has slowed down package deliveries again...)

CF_DECK_05.thumb.JPG.bf4fd0a4a34563dd860bd1023cf73cde.JPG

In the meantime, I am making progress on the preparation of the cutter deck.
I glued a copy of the deck plan onto card stock and cut out the elements that will allow the two rooms I detailed to be seen.
I still need to add tape around the edge to get the final shape of my false deck so I can cut it out of a 1/16" cherry sheet.

CF_DECK_06.thumb.JPG.11cb348420b4f002d97af8cadb18fc02.JPG

CF_DECK_06B.thumb.JPG.ec4620335441cc76a13060390eb2f77d.JPG

I continued the assembly of the various fittings that will be on the deck. The gratings come from Syren and it is again a pleasure to assemble them.

CF_DECK_07.thumb.JPG.b855d04fd919d1b95a8e644c5260f92e.JPG

And finally, I started the assembly of the companionway. Since I'm going to leave the doors open, I have to be quite precise in the assembly.
I quickly realized that it's not a simple cube that needs to be assembled, because I have to take into account the slope ('tonture' in French) of the deck.
Reading the excellent log of glbarlow confirmed me on this question.

CF_DECK_08.thumb.JPG.50e59e83ef1be0783962edf990308958.JPG

So I quickly developed a jig to facilitate the assembly and especially to have precise angular cuts. A photocopy of the plan was made on a clear self-adhesive film.

CF_DECK_09.thumb.JPG.62676031989b54ec446bc41ab2f55873.JPG

CF_DECK_13.thumb.JPG.0d53abe73eeae656dfc8cd0beac6dd18.JPG

The two side pieces were mounted at right angles. They are made of 6 planks of 1/32" but are higher than the plan.
I can use my jig to make the various cuts.

CF_DECK_14.thumb.JPG.69193d3084d796f19015150c2b8b8c54.JPG

For the height, I simply added again 2 pieces of wood at the top of the companionway that follow the slope of the deck.

CF_DECK_16.thumb.JPG.ba8dd38d91aa71f4f4f61a470e46fbc1.JPG

The result respects the plans quite well. I am trying to work cleanly because I am thinking of not painting the companionway and leaving it in natural wood.

CF_DECK_19.thumb.JPG.211afbac5d7bc961034e7da1b6dcef93.JPG

I still have to finalize the companionway by adding the open doors.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Nice work on capturing the angle. The open doors will be interesting to see.  Your Cheerful is really coming together, I enjoy seeing the effect of the different wood. 

Regards,

Glenn

Great craftsmanship and methods on the companion and deck structures. The small stuff does take time. Well done.

Mike

Thank you Bob, Glenn and Mike for your kind comments and thank you to all the 'Likes'.

I finished the assembly of the electric  Evans Designs leds. I will then be able to prepare and glue the false deck of the ship.

CG_light_01.thumb.JPG.1593a6f3270ab2d3f45c85463fbc056e.JPG

A small test once the assembly is completed. It works 😃. A big thank you to scrubbyj427 who made me discover these great little leds from Evan Designs in his beautiful build log of the Winchelsea frigate.

CG_light_08.thumb.JPG.3c1e7e36943c9b2da3109cc0f32a01ff.JPG

The last details have been added: the open door between the 2 rooms and the small ladder that gives access to the door to the bread room.

CG_light_10.thumb.JPG.1abe86060676e467105146aac20af42a.JPG

Next step: installation of the false deck.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Thanks Jp. That really looks nice, I’m glad the LEDs worked out, they are really easy to install and produce great light! I would recommend painting the underside of your false deck a dark color as the light may penetrate the wood from below.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Thanks to all the people who are following this build and giving me precious advice.

This week I put in place the false deck.

I followed the instructions precisely, so I started by adding multiples thin strips of protective tape on each side of the cut plan to adjust the false deck.

The final shape is transferred to two 1/16" cherry wood sheets that are temporarily joined with tape. I didn't have a large enough sheet and it also saves me from having to cut through the middle.

CH_FalseDeck_01.thumb.JPG.ade131015646504df68b371bd76c463f.JPG

On Scrubbyjj427's advice, I painted the reverse side of the false deck in the areas above the two rooms to keep the light from coming through the wood.

CH_FalseDeck_02.thumb.JPG.2224efcc354c24ff93c2164129245b47.JPG

I glued the false deck in 2 steps so I could put the access ladder in place before gluing the second part. I was afraid to drop the ladder in the room if I proceeded to put it in place once all the false deck was glued.I know myself 😅

CH_FalseDeck_06.thumb.JPG.d7a1c7aee2c067e6fc4a94c7ee68b5b5.JPG

The false deck has been reinforced with small nails that will be removed once the glue has hardened. This ensures that the false deck adheres precisely to the bulkheads.

CH_FalseDeck_07.thumb.JPG.170b8e8b05cf4a33bf61ca4e46702da8.JPG

Once the nails are removed, the gaps and marks left by the nails or their extraction are filled with wood filler and sanded. I also take the opportunity to finish the 2 openings located on the false deck.

CH_FalseDeck_10.thumb.JPG.085e091ef5193535c34af982c44a9e9c.JPG

A final blank test of the various fittings.

CH_FalseDeck_14.thumb.JPG.6bc16bca6094925e7fbe128d03c83f57.JPG

I will now finish the internal planking of the bulwarks.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

The open companionway is a great touch.  I know how important it is to get a good fit with the false deck, which you’ve clearly done.

Regards,

Glenn

Adding the false deck makes the whole thing feel like a ship. Great job on the fit

Best Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who follow my work.

@Glenn, I had a lot of fun detailing the interior of the 2 rooms and adjusting the opening visible from the deck. And I am fortunate to be able to refer on this site to excellent reference models every time. Thanks again for your excellent log on the Cheerful.

@Will, it's true that the addition of the false deck marks an important step. All the internal structure is hidden and we will be able to detail all the fittings that will take place on the deck. It is indeed starting to look like a ship.

@Johann, thanks for the kind words. Your work on the Creole is one of my references and I think many of us admire the quality and precision of your work. As for me, I still have a long way to go...

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :