Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

.. and I think the test was a success...

(Don't try this at home... :piratetongueor4: )

So your hanging Cutty...............  You my friend have nerves of steel to say the least

I wouldn't even trust my ceiling if I was convinced of my rails strength.  Wow!

I look forward to your build this summer!

Edited by keelhauled

• 2 weeks later...

Is She still hanging on the floor, Bob?

Maybe is time to land her on workbench

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Don't hang Her on the floor when you move in.

All the best

Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

good luck on the move Bob!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, we'll be here waiting on you. Have a safe move.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You, everyone;  I finally have room for a dining room table (Which was my previous workbench in a one-bedroom apt.)  So I'll have to build a new workbench.

I am now in Nebraska, where I want to be;  but I'ts hard for me to be at ease when we have our friend that is still mourning.

~Bob

• 2 months later...

Hello all;  I am now doing work on the Niagara on my living room floor... Haven't gotten around to buying the materials for a workbench yet...   I unpacked enough stuff (sanding block, x-acto, miter box, and a few of my rulers, calipers, etc.) to do a little work, and have now shaped a couple of planks for the Niagara for the first time in 16 months...

Niagara to whet my whistle,  Cutty to finish, and HMS Victory waiting in the wings.....

Edited by rfolsom

Wellcome back my friend!!!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Marc;

Niagara is getting hull planking on belt "B";

I was working on Cutty's deadeye strops and trying to figure out how to do the scrollwork, etc.

Vic was getting her bulkheads and false keel laid out and cut.

I chose Niagara to ease myself in, as I'm pretty much following kit plans, and all the materials are there in one box.

Ok,  so no new work on the Cutty as of yet by me;  but to keep this post halfway alive, here's some pictures of what the last year has done on the copper.

I really like the patina, some copper has lifted up due to handling, (that's ok too) but I don't like these dark spots that I'm finding.

What do you guys think it might be?  I know I haven't spilled paint;  this seems like oxidation;  maybe moisture condensation that I'm unaware of?

~Bob

post-3909-0-78742000-1442386086_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-69517300-1442386106_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-70062600-1442386122_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-82562500-1442386142_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-46352000-1442386187_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob, very glad to see you with Her Majesty again

To me, it seems as there were drops of something, which leave invisible trace, but that trace obviously speed up corrosion. ( Piggy traces ? Beer ? Tears ? Blood ?)

Maybe is solution to turn sequence of moves, and as a first next step to finish coopering with patina. I mean - clean those taps with soft sandpaper or something similar, then softly sand/clean all cooper plates ( just to equalize look and feel, then apply some/any kind of patina or weathering which you like, and after that, apply transparent acrylic mat (frosted) varnish in 1 or several thin layers as final coat of protection. I did something similar when finished with my "coopering", just to prevent from similar accidents

See you soon 

Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

The small dark spots looked raised; are they?

I see some of the same spots that I had/have from the oils on my fingers etching/oxidizing the copper.  I believe that is the large area seen in the second photograph.  Did you use super glue?  superglue will adhere to fingerprints also and can appear light or dark.  some glues will bubble and spread out around the plates under heat (had that problem with the move from Florida.  

You might be able to pop off the dark bumps if they are adhesive and clean the plate, but then the plate may stand out.

I second Nenad's approach.  I also applied a sealer - clear acrylic after a couple of years after applying the plates (I wanted them to get a patina. 

Edited by keelhauled

Bob i remasted a thirty odd year old model of victory for a friend and cleaned up the copper bottom which had oxidised black as it wasnt lacquered - this is why i always lacquer any copper plates on my ships. The pics of my cutty on completed kit built ships shows the copper after 18 years which while dulled i hope wont go black over time! Also beware fingertips are the most destructive element known to polished metal!

Keith

• 3 months later...
hey Bob
I'm new on this page and this is my first post. and I'm writing to you because we are both in the process of building Billing Boats 459 Cutty Sark, and like you I am also gone my own way and built by other drawings than Billings. I also surfed the net for pictures of Cutty. especially the old black and white when she was Portuguese
I'm almost done with the ship's hull - I am about to build lifeboats now.
I would really like to create a build log here on MSW. but do not know if it's a bit late now I'm so far?.
ennyway I enjoy very much to follow you others Cutty Sark buildings.

Cheers

Jens

I use Google translate because my English is poor, so if you answer makes it easy  understanding. 

• 6 months later...

Hello, Jens;  I have been away for many months now, and am just logging back on to MSW.  Life has thrown me some hurdles lately, so I apologize for not responding.  I have much catching up to do;  both with following my friends' posts and restarting my builds. 

I'll let you all know what's going on in due time.

Your Friend,

Bob