Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Bob, exelent

Paint them white and keep on

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I haven't seen too many builds that include those stanchions....very nice work!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Some details on front deck ( still I think about sadomasochism)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Looks like some of the wooden plugs have popped out, (or removed purposely) exposing the bolt-heads beneath.  At my scale, 1:76.8, the 5 inch deck planks are replicated with 1/16" wide strips (1.59 mm).  Direct measurement of the picture would make the hole roughly 1/2", or about 0.2 mm at my scale; smaller than my smallest drill bit (0.3 mm)  Could it be done?  Sure.  Do you want to try it?  Only Nenad will decide... :P

I agree

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Rfolsom, nice build log, and great progress on your Cutty.  She is one of the most beautiful ships and most famous too, expecially since you can visit her in Greenich.  My buddy Ron and I did just that this past June. 

Another excellent book is "The Cutty Sark"  by C. N. Longridge.  My copy is the 1959 reprint by Sweetman which can be had for about $22 on Abe Books or Amazon.  It has folded plans by Underhill in a pocket, plus many details and pictures throughout.  If I were to build another Cutty, It would be wood (I already built one of the Revell kits in 1/96 scale) and would use this book as my primary resource. 

Keep up the great work and continue posting pix~!

Duff

she looks superb Robert!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Finally finished stanchions; (well, not really they need paint, and rings, etc..)  Here's a pic with the port "head" (that I built about a year ago) temporarily sitting in place...  These, and the deckhouses, will not be installed until all the bulwark detail and main/cap rails are finished.

post-3909-0-55168800-1382688622_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

great work so far. But this now leaves me with a problem with my build - I'm behind you and Nenad:

I don't know whether to admire you guys, and try to do similar work on my build (my scale is the smaller at 1:115),

or to hate you guys, and still try to do similar work on my build,

or to just read your logs, give a lop-sided grin, and still try to do similar work

my head spinneth...

Regards,

Dognut.

Currently building - Cutty Sark 1:115- Constructo : First build

Bob, do you plan this ?

post-4738-0-06512600-1382698839_thumb.jpg

Will I be responsible again ?

Dognut, this is not a race, this is fun and joy

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad: I am indeed planning the capstan bars and rack.  Not sure how I'll treat the moulding around the bottom, however.  These will be dealt with after all deckhouses are permanently installed. (After the pinrails and bulkhead mouldings, and probably after the headwork at the bow...)

A bit of a dilemma with the mooring pipes...  How to fabricate the ovals?  After much thought, (I initially pondered this problem over a year ago, and ordered 4mm airports from Model Expo to test) I decided to abandon the ovals and just go with the round ports.  After no success with grinding or sawing the 1/16" flange to fit my 1/32" bulwarks, I decided to make rings from 20 gauge wire to even the overhang inside, and paint them black.  Here's pics of my tests on a scrap of 1/32" material.

Nenad, I can live with this. (Unless, of course, you propose a better solution...) ;)

post-3909-0-73934300-1382862184_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-29176000-1382862197_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-75045300-1382862212_thumb.jpg

Dognut:  Indeed, this is not a race;  it is a hobby, and it is alot of fun and relaxation.

Imagine if we were all employees in a factory somewhere, building Cutty Sark Models, from 8 am to 6pm, five days a week, and had to make a certain amount of progress each day;  or face penalties, maybe possible termination... :(

Don't sweat it!  Enjoy the hobby, look the challenges square in the eye, cuss a bit, and keep going;  and like I tell Nenad, sit back, admire your build, and say:  "hmmmmmmmm" :D

Duff-  I thought about purchasing the Longridge book(s), however, I've found about 98% of what I need from G. Campbell's plans, plus his book on "China Tea Clippers".  Undoubtedly, the Longridge book would help my build, but I'm at the point where it would only be marginally so, and I need to use my resources to find/fabricate/carve/ things like the pumps, winches, nameboards, scrollwork, etc. etc.

super work Robert :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Rob,

I agree with Popeye - super work. Also want to compliment you on your detailed log, and I admire you for posting the blunders as well as successes - it's a huge help to those of us who follow (very slowly) behind..

Regards,

Dognut.

Currently building - Cutty Sark 1:115- Constructo : First build