Ford GT40 by kpnuts Magnifier 1/12

kpnuts

Hi all I started this a while ago (its actually a reboxed Trumpeter kit) what a kit, it is amazing there's a big price difference 300+ for Trumpeter (if you can find it) i paid 68 quid.

Everyone says don't use the provided braided hoses as they fall apart when cut to size, just do what I did spray them with your missus hairspray and they are fine.

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5563.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

No its the old trumpeter kit even the artwork on the box is the same.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-05403-ford-gt40-mk-ii--122941

Started lighting up the GT40, just got to figure out how to make the indicators flash and how to add the fibre optics for lighting up the dashboard

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

10 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

No its the old trumpeter kit even the artwork on the box is the same.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-05403-ford-gt40-mk-ii--122941

It's been re-released this year by a new company called "Magnifier" and can be had off evilbay for under 100 USD.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

KPNuts,

Since you have the Magnifier kit, how does it compare to the new MENG kit? I am curious to know if these two kits are similar or if the new MENG kit is way better in term of details and parts. Here is a link to the introduction of the new MENG kit: 

The Modelling News: Preview: The final iteration of Meng's 12th scale Ford GT40 Mk.II 1966 Le Mans 24h in full colour...

Thanks for your time.

Yves

TBH I don't think its worth the difference in price (the meng kit is nearly 370 quid this was 68) and I see no real improvement on detail, the moulding in this kit is crisp and sharp, ok there is far too much chrome but a soak in bleach soon sorts that . 

Personally I would buy this kit then spend the 290 quid I saved on other models.

More work on this one.

IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

17 hours ago, kpnuts said:

TBH I don't think its worth the difference in price (the meng kit is nearly 370 quid this was 68) and I see no real improvement on detail, the moulding in this kit is crisp and sharp, ok there is far too much chrome but a soak in bleach soon sorts that . 

Personally I would buy this kit then spend the 290 quid I saved on other models.

I agree with you and went ahead to get the Magnifier kit from Evil bay: $60 including shipping.... Now, let's see if it arrives in the USA.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Things will slow down on this for a while as I'm waiting for a flasher circuit board for the indicators, some fibre optics for the dashboard and some switches to operate all the lights, all due mid to late February. 

Anyway here is the next update on this awesome kit

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

Makes my 1/24th Tamiya effort of a few years ago look down right primitive!

image.thumb.png.8817d0fb46eb4794521a18b8d6774e73.png

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

41 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Makes my 1/24th Tamiya effort of a few years ago look down right primitive!

image.thumb.png.8817d0fb46eb4794521a18b8d6774e73.png

Nothing wrong with that Lou   - like it.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you

I made more than a few mistakes on it back then. The most noticeable was not painting on or under the number decals and the white center stripes.  I had no idea they were so translucent and would not look like white circles over the black body. I was also not certain on the wheel color I think they may have been gold but even now I am not certain. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

where do you spend your nights........... :D   I first though that the illuminated interior was a bit much........but then I though about my son's car :ph34r:

nope!  that looks pretty G.D. cool! :)    great looking model.........and in my size too!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Looking fantastic and lights really add something special.   BTW, you make me nervous with pictures like #5 with the wheel over the edge slightly.  I'd hate to here it fell to the floor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

coming along really good!   very nice detail too....hope that door opens the other way ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I should just mention the one draw back with this kit is the steering will never work as the clearance under the wheel arches only gives you about 19 degrees from lock to lock, still a minor detail in my mind (certainly not worth paying 200 more quid for)

Looking really nice kp.

I wish the number circles provided by Tamiya had been opaque enough to come out as white as yours on my 1/24th build years ago. By the time I realized they were so transparent they looked gray over the black it was too late!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Beautiful car and great setting for it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very nice work, congratulations.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very nice, cool lights! The base is the finishing touch. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

car and dio looks awesome!  congratz on a fine build indeed!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: