bateau 1881 by Steven Harvath

I decided to take a break from a big ship model building project and put together a small, utilitarian boat that would have been common in North American lakes and streams.  I have detailed instructions for the building of a "bateau".  It is from a book of  instructions for how to become a fur trapper.  It is called "Camp Life in the Woods" by W. Hamilton Gibson 1881.  The author says "...a light, and serviceable bateau, which any boy with moderate ingenuity or skill , could easily construct...".  I hope to live up to his expectations. Scale: 1:48 -- One inch to four feet.

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

Sounds like a fun project.

To repeat a current theme in parallel posts:  your project will proceed more smoothly and with a more enjoyable feedback if you use a species of wood with characteristics that scale appropriately and is properly hard and crisp.  Unfortunately, the Fates are conspiring against convenient acquisition of the proper species at an increasing rate.

The mass market species are generally poor candidates.  In North America, Wood Craft offers two or three veneers of species that would fill the need, but the range of thicknesses is limited.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Following the instructions I carved a stem out of basswood and notched it to receive the side planks. The instructions for the boat have the builder attach three foot wide temporary braces at the center of the sides.  These will define the shape of the boat when the sides are bent in to the stem and stern.  I clamped them in place temporarily while I attach the stem and stern pieces.

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

The seats are in. They are made of 1/32 basswood. I made them longer than the width of the boat so that they would serve to spread out the sides in a graceful way.  The bamboo sides bent quite easily. Now I need to add some small side boards for the oar locks and make some oars.  IMG_1882.thumb.jpg.e9393c671bb4fd45426c7375a6ab54f8.jpg