Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thanks Michael, my son came for a visit last weekend and was impressed with it and with the doors and windows still to be done on the forward wall of the kings cabin he was able to see into it well enough to see what's in there so I'm glad he saw it and knows what's there first hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this ship has quite a few knights heads which all require the same shaping I milled a piece of scrap brass to accept the timber sizes required and then milled two right angle grooves for the file to follow and glued in a stop so they will all come out the same.

 

DSCF1931.thumb.JPG.b7117a74dfa75a68123a020df84c09b6.JPGDSCF1932.thumb.JPG.0c80575f9a2a54ff6e440eba04e04ca3.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been fitting the knights heads/bollards and you'll see a piece of sheet brass bent to straddle the walnut cap strip. This was first used to protect one part of railing while sanding adjacent pieces but now I've drilled the guide hole for the knights head dowels. It's such a simple way to keep the hole in the centre of the strip. 

 

I would have left the knights heads varnished if they were walnut but they are beech so I decided to paint them red which most fixed tie off points would be anyway. I've also made and attached the stern lanterns.

 

I've come across a problem I had with the Bluenose kit I did years ago in that while the walnut plank stock varnished normally, the thicker square stock doesn't seem to let the varnish dry. From memory it took up to 2 weeks on the Bluenose and it's been 4 days for the cat davits and adjacent bollards and they are still a little sticky. Does anyone know anything about this?

 

DSCF1933.thumb.JPG.dd41fb17583f937fa277e826aa47376e.JPGDSCF1936.thumb.JPG.0b9b9513db4d7924d863c4c506a8559e.JPGDSCF1941.thumb.JPG.2158101038e6d7363bfe76cb551a959a.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made more progress, 1st instead of using 6mm dowel to make the flue for the galley stove I used 6mm brass tube, it looks good painted black.

 

Then I moved onto the brass rails, I have no idea what they're called but they took a lot of fiddling to get them shaped and fitted. There is still some fine tuning to do on them.

 

I don't know if I mentioned it before but I also turned up double sheaves for the cat davits because there is no way those anchors were raised with a single line offering no mechanical advantage. It has to be 4 to 1 at least.

 

DSCF1945.thumb.JPG.bb6d3d82c0c6efcbb6223bed5edb3763.JPGDSCF1946.thumb.JPG.67e49796e9b86f216a4a30099c9bfac1.JPGDSCF1948.thumb.JPG.f4bb71c52366cd1967eae0fc607fd922.JPGDSCF1949.thumb.JPG.6fc78368a52180f478e1c73569f6670c.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a block to mount on the dial gauge base so I had an adjustable level rest to get the shroud tables nice and level. For some I just clamped a plank between larger tables so it would follow the curve of the deck.

 

DSCF1955.thumb.JPG.5e03911dd9ce86db2214299291988756.JPGDSCF1954.thumb.JPG.ac8f7acb6f74503ab60a5d5542477177.JPG

 

The plans call for a bit of string between two dowels to act as hand rails on the stairways. I don't know about anyone else but if I was building a royal yacht for King George II I wouldn't be doing that so I made them out of walnut.

 

DSCF1960.thumb.JPG.46e3a7d940c0e9054f6ea13668a48887.JPGDSCF1962.thumb.JPG.c3fd20b98739a348e029d5f06c2e6c17.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've obviously slowed down a bit on this build, I went in flat out for weeks but that gets too much so I've been doing other things.

 

Among those other things I've turned a new "plug" for the scroll saw I have. When I did the hand rail the huge gaps around the blade and the dreadfully made hold down foot made the job very difficult so I turned a new plug which supports small pieces much better and while trying that out I put an after market blade in and tried it without the foot and found I no longer need a foot so there's a fiddly part I don't have to make now. An advantage of the new plug is I can orientate the slot on any 90 degree increment I like which keeps it away from snagging small thin fiddly bits.

 

20210430_122232.thumb.jpg.4e7a6763536f1f535b1be3677176060e.jpg20210430_122344.thumb.jpg.60522a5da2027e7fcab4b5b60f06710b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned before that in the kit the cat davits only had a single line 1:1 pull which is wrong, I'd imagine maybe 6:1 but 4:1 at least. So I turned double sheaves to go in the cat davits a while back and today I made two double blocks to complete the set. They look a bit furry in the pics but in the flesh they're good and I found that by "sawing" a piece of cord back and forth in line with the pull I was able to round down the dummy sheaves in the blocks so I'm well pleased with that.

 

When the ship goes into the display case it will have one anchor fully stowed and one hanging from the davit.

 

DSCF1965.thumb.JPG.76038b22975986b769f73728429222fb.JPGDSCF1967.thumb.JPG.e08196aa116cd7f6bce08862bbe76f31.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...