Hi everyone! After making a few kits myself, i found out that the ropes that come with the kits usually are not as good as i would want them. I have researched a bit and found out about ropewalks, even found the Domanoff PL4 and Prosak. Still, i dont have the money right now, and i would like to make a ropewalk myself. I have looked into it and found this post:

Which is exactly what i was looking for. However, i have seen other designs in which the moving part also twists the rope in the oposite side. My question is, if anyone has tried both, is it worth it to add a motor to the other side?

Thank you all

Not really. It is pretty easy to make a rope walk. It can be made fancy or with whatever scrap or ebay-cheap material. It is easier to have a motor on one side spinning three yarns. On the other side it just needs some king of bearing connected to a weight. As the yarns spin into tension, the other end automatically will spin the opposite side and make the rope. The lines will get shorter as the rope is created and the bearing will move and lift the weight so some kind of pulley is needed there. A spindle is needed to keep the yarns separate-this will also move towards the motor so it needs to be supported and to be able to slide.

Making rope is very good fun-highly recommended.

On some designs, a motor on both sides can be useful, but isn't essential. I suggest you take a look at Syren Ship Model Company's "Rope Rocket." This elegantly designed ropewalk system is powered by any reversible electric hand drill. There are videos on their website that demonstrate the system's use. It's very well made (unlike some cheap copies) and is relatively inexpensive. If your time is worth anything at all, you'd be money ahead to buy this rope maker and not bother with trying to chase down the bits and pieces to make your own. It was designed by forum member Chuck Passaro.  See: https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ropewalk.php

I have a Domanoff PL4 and can recommend it highly, but I was fortunate to come by mine used at a price I couldn't refuse. Had that not been the case, I would have opted for the "Rope Rocket." Alexi Dominoff's PL4 is a bit more "automated" and so doesn't require the easily acquired hand-eye coordination operating the "Rope Rocket" does and is perhaps capable of a few more esoteric tasks than the "Rope Rocket, (such as laying up four-strand rope around a fifth core strand) but each produces excellent rope. The biggest difference between the PL4 and the "Rope Rocket" is that the PL4 has a very small operating footprint, while the "Rope Rocket" requires some space to operate. This may be a consideration for some. 

Both Alexi and Chuck are MSW forum advertisers and their websites are easily accessed from the sponsors' bar on the forum home page.

Edited by Bob Cleek

Gday Mate,

the rope walker in your pic is the one I built quite a while ago. I have made many great looking ropes with it since and it is now one of my favourite aspects of the hobby. In answer to your question, I didn’t put a motor at the other end of the Walker, but after I make a length of rope on the walker, I have found that attaching a cheap battery powered screwdriver on a low speed setting to the rear of the bolt on the trolly to which my rope strands are tied and giving it 50 - 100 rotations tightens up the rope even more. The rope still needs to be under pressure i.e the lead weight is still attached to the trolly. After removing the rope from the Walker I always run it backwards and forwards over a curved , hard surface to ‘harden’ it. The pic attached is my trolly with the screwdriver sitting on the bolt which goes through a bearing to a ring onto which I tie my threads - it is not set up to make any rope - just a demo pic so you can see what I mean. Hope this helps. 

Steve (hornet) 

07BFE6D7-7D92-42EE-9FA5-F6A8C49BCFCD.jpeg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina