HIJMS MIKASA 1902 by Jeff59 - Hobby Boss - 1/200

Very cool build!   Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 weeks later...

Wow can’t believe it’s been over three months since I last showed some progress, guess summer time changes priorities with other things taking over, shall try and complete some work on hull before doing an update. Hope everyone is well and more productive than me. Probably be a few weeks fixing my last mistake, overspray on the hull after painting the lower hull, That’ll teach me for shirking on masking the model properly, not my favourite task, can find it tedious. Shall kick myself up the bum and continue soon. Take care everyone.

I thought I’d get a lot of modeling done this summer but I’ve actually gotten little done.  Summer can be busy!

Your Mikasa looks fantastic and your PE work is really impressive.  I have one of the 1/700 kits with Infini detail set.  Seeing all the details on your build, I have a sense of what I’m in for.

I think I said this earlier, but I think the Mikasa is a really beautiful ship.  Your model is looking spectacular.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 8/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

I thought I’d get a lot of modeling done this summer but I’ve actually gotten little done.  Summer can be busy!

Your Mikasa looks fantastic and your PE work is really impressive.  I have one of the 1/700 kits with Infini detail set.  Seeing all the details on your build, I have a sense of what I’m in for.

I think I said this earlier, but I think the Mikasa is a really beautiful ship.  Your model is looking spectacular.

Thanks Mike, gives me a lift to keep going, appreciated. Don’t think I could work in 1/700 scale now , my eyesight couldn’t take it, I remember building a triple anti aircraft mount for the Yamato in this scale, what a mission that was, achieved it but the thought of another twenty killed my passion to progress. 😂 

On 8/9/2021 at 10:49 PM, Jeff59 said:

Wow can’t believe it’s been over three months since I last showed some progress, guess summer time changes priorities with other things taking over, shall try and complete some work on hull before doing an update. Hope everyone is well and more productive than me. Probably be a few weeks fixing my last mistake, overspray on the hull after painting the lower hull, That’ll teach me for shirking on masking the model properly, not my favourite task, can find it tedious. Shall kick myself up the bum and continue soon. Take care everyone.

Just now, Jeff59 said:

Hello fellow modellers, at long last I have something to post on my build log. Shall try to pick up from where I last posted. The ladders that I fitted to supper-structures supporting the large open boat, decided we’re to small in scale, so removed them, besides needed them for making handles for turning ships cowls, look about the right size. Used ladders from my Trumpeter Arizona etch in same scale, also used handrails from Arizona to make my own take on rails round the inner supper structures on main deck, no etch or references to work from here, just my best guess, but it does add some detail when added. Also managed to get some fine thread to simulate the tie down ropes on boat canvas, managed to find it in light tan, just guessing again. Before gluing the canvas part to boat hull i drilled holes in lower hull to take thread, painted the lower hull then fitted thread, just supergluing the thread on inside of boat hull before gluing canvas onto boat. That shall do for now, shall post some photos for reference to this post, with more updates to follow, take care.

20 minutes ago, Jeff59 said:

Hello fellow modellers, at long last I have something to post on my build log. Shall try to pick up from where I last posted. The ladders that I fitted to supper-structures supporting the large open boat, decided we’re to small in scale, so removed them, besides needed them for making handles for turning ships cowls, look about the right size. Used ladders from my Trumpeter Arizona etch in same scale, also used handrails from Arizona to make my own take on rails round the inner supper structures on main deck, no etch or references to work from here, just my best guess, but it does add some detail when added. Also managed to get some fine thread to simulate the tie down ropes on boat canvas, managed to find it in light tan, just guessing again. Before gluing the canvas part to boat hull i drilled holes in lower hull to take thread, painted the lower hull then fitted thread, just supergluing the thread on inside of boat hull before gluing canvas onto boat. That shall do for now, shall post some photos for reference to this post, with more updates to follow, take care.

06AB6619-F2AA-4728-BB55-C11329C61B36.jpeg

85ACB51B-385E-48E5-8FF9-62D20B905E62.jpeg

F2804EF9-775F-4026-AB83-6ADACAF0AF7F.jpeg

97AF00CC-A070-455A-BAD7-BFA50367BF36.jpeg

D1FB7213-7D88-4E10-8489-8F527135AEA1.jpeg

703A4723-9B45-49F7-8057-B9AE1FF47FCF.jpeg

1285684A-CE79-4D2A-8E5E-F8D952DA9991.jpeg

Going for another post, following on with making handrails and ladders around funnel superstructures, plus fabricating ships cowls and trunking, decided to not fit cowl grills, the ones supplied with kit, not confident in their appearance, besides the earlier post showing the Mikasa at anchor she doesn’t seem to have them fitted, so I am trying to base my model on this appearance. So the removal of the top internal location pin was necessary, have shown this process in photos to follow. The funnels also progressed, with the fitting of brass etch and brass pipes, one point to be aware of is the forward funnel has a fine etched open deck fitted, the brass pipe has to fit through this deck before fitting the lower support bracket. Once all glued in place it became a mask and paint job. The fabrication of the upper funnel grills that I thought would be straight forward proved anything but, a lot of patience and trial needed here, but end result worth it. Shall post some photos for you to browse over, next mission is to finish removing overspray on hull sides, another lesson learnt. Take care folks.

026A962B-EE51-4322-92CA-C7424F8DBA93.jpeg

EABFA4AD-A9E5-441B-9737-50070D109648.jpeg

BB5AD001-D2F6-4532-A236-D6CB5261E5B6.jpeg

1C55E924-9003-41E8-9CC6-9695DAE265B4.jpeg

1EAD2FDB-E2D8-4A30-B190-7AFB7E3B32F8.jpeg

0D412AB0-A7C6-4591-857A-2936AA9F7CD9.jpeg

F7D06274-DD03-40EA-8139-F05E33557A83.jpeg

2B339CE5-0038-4D97-9D75-FA3C76DBD441.jpeg

Nicely done!  The funnels look great.  Nice job on the painting there.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello again, thanks Yvesvidal and Mike for your comments, appreciated. Have to confess I am not very clever with operating these printouts, sure you have noticed 😂 my lovely wife Jaqueline says it’s not user friendly and she is a lot sharper than me on websites, just have to hope admin can tidy up behind me, I’ll keep him in a job. Think this will be my last post for a while, whilst I try to make more progress, bit like Groundhog Day, got to start working on forward deck and forward bridge, plus have opened new front on model, having cleaned up all the overspray, my fault, reminds me of as a young boy scraping all the paint of old Dinky Toys using one of my mums sowing needles so as to repaint the toy, this was fifty times worse, only knocked of four parts of etch, that’s using my craft knife not a needle 😂 did say it was my first shot with airbrush, so I am a novice, probably not the best model to learn on me thinks. Anyway with that task behind me I have to make a few alterations on my plate for supporting model on its side, once I have sorted this, shall let me fit the rest of photo etch around the hull, think there is quite a lot to go on. Shall then spray this in one go. The painting that I did on the lower hull is my first attempt at shading, it’s not perfect but I feel sort of satisfied it almost works. The decks are not glued down, just trying to show the direction it’s going in, all be it very slowly. Shall post some photos next. Take care folks and happy modelling. 🤛

2 hours ago, Jeff59 said:

Hello again, thanks Yvesvidal and Mike for your comments, appreciated. Have to confess I am not very clever with operating these printouts, sure you have noticed 😂 my lovely wife Jaqueline says it’s not user friendly and she is a lot sharper than me on websites, just have to hope admin can tidy up behind me, I’ll keep him in a job. Think this will be my last post for a while, whilst I try to make more progress, bit like Groundhog Day, got to start working on forward deck and forward bridge, plus have opened new front on model, having cleaned up all the overspray, my fault, reminds me of as a young boy scraping all the paint of old Dinky Toys using one of my mums sowing needles so as to repaint the toy, this was fifty times worse, only knocked of four parts of etch, that’s using my craft knife not a needle 😂 did say it was my first shot with airbrush, so I am a novice, probably not the best model to learn on me thinks. Anyway with that task behind me I have to make a few alterations on my plate for supporting model on its side, once I have sorted this, shall let me fit the rest of photo etch around the hull, think there is quite a lot to go on. Shall then spray this in one go. The painting that I did on the lower hull is my first attempt at shading, it’s not perfect but I feel sort of satisfied it almost works. The decks are not glued down, just trying to show the direction it’s going in, all be it very slowly. Shall post some photos next. Take care folks and happy modelling. 🤛

CD4235C5-62D9-4B44-8A6E-486874C16AC1.jpeg

688B033F-4389-4D1A-8967-FE3ED1AF1572.jpeg

D1E9C175-281C-42DC-B45F-06E13547C5C9.jpeg

9EE7DE18-F6AA-4DE7-BD26-405D4C90F746.jpeg

A741FE9B-F20B-4F00-B698-3A6CF3BA3164.jpeg

533246AF-E734-4D89-8DB4-AB5B1CB28297.jpeg

18990A96-E8F7-4E49-98EB-38BF89DB1B26.jpeg

4E0EAC28-6F4A-4088-B4CB-ABD3AA8F7F72.jpeg

49C699C1-4512-46CD-B3E6-20FE80F0ED89.jpeg

86640EBC-681E-4236-9FEF-705BF2B6A0A0.jpeg

4EBB5F07-5E1E-4575-A881-394ED7693746.jpeg

87D286DD-BF6B-4E00-8FC5-1ACA2730F0CB.jpeg

84D7DF7F-534A-44DF-828A-608B3A4A913E.jpeg

2AEEC933-6047-409D-8C0A-AD60CD7918D1.jpeg

Jeff,

Make it easy on yourself to post.  Type in your text, drop down to the bottom and your photos.  Then post it all at once. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 8/23/2021 at 1:38 AM, yvesvidal said:

Jeff,

What is the model of the ship, in the background? Is it Arizona?

Thanks

Yves

Yes Yves, it’s Trumpeter’s 1/200 Arizona , wish Pontos would do a detail set for it, still have one to build from scratch, if you want I can dust it down and slip in a few photos if that’s not frowned on?

On 8/23/2021 at 1:52 AM, mtaylor said:

Jeff,

Make it easy on yourself to post.  Type in your text, drop down to the bottom and your photos.  Then post it all at once. 

Thank Mike, sure I have done this before, just get stupid in my old age and forget, maybe I shall try and post more regularly so it sinks in. 😂👍

5 hours ago, Jeff59 said:

Sorry Mark got your name wrong, you are now alias Mike, wish you could correct mistakes after submitting, really frustrating, again thanks for your advice, appreciated.🤛

I've been called worse so call me what you want but don't call me late for dinner.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, Jeff59 said:

wish you could correct mistakes after submitting,

Hi Mike

No problem really. Just go to the upper right hand corner and next to the "#79" click on the three dots. Go to the "edit" feature on the drop down menu click it and make your changes then re-submit your post and it is all good and Mark can quit pretending to be Mike, and go back to being grumpy old Mark. (Not as grumpy as me though)

Great work on the Mikasa. Your Arizona looks impressive as well. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

59 minutes ago, lmagna said:

and Mark can quit pretending to be Mike, and go back to being grumpy old Mark. (Not as grumpy as me though)

Do we need to start a 'grumpy old man' topic in Shore Leave?    Meantime, back to the Mikasa and what gets done next.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

oh....oh........someone's going to the 'quiet room' :ph34r:

hey there Jeff.......catching up on your progress :)    I see you have made much.........even some small work on the over spray there... ;)   it's a good thing the deck wasn't cemented on.  she's looking very nice.......the detail and paint is really good.  I did have to laugh.......in one of the pictures,  I noticed that your using Humbrol and White Ensign paint { I saw the tins}.  I have quite a selection,  that I got from grumpy Lou >snicker,  snear,  and chuckle < ...I do have some that is for IJN ships........I got to do some research for the colors used for the Shokaku.

she's coming along great mate........great job! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, popeye the sailor said:

oh....oh........someone's going to the 'quiet room' :ph34r:

hey there Jeff.......catching up on your progress :)    I see you have made much.........even some small work on the over spray there... ;)   it's a good thing the deck wasn't cemented on.  she's looking very nice.......the detail and paint is really good.  I did have to laugh.......in one of the pictures,  I noticed that your using Humbrol and White Ensign paint { I saw the tins}.  I have quite a selection,  that I got from grumpy Lou >snicker,  snear,  and chuckle < ...I do have some that is for IJN ships........I got to do some research for the colors used for the Shokaku.

she's coming along great mate........great job! :) 

Thanks Popeye, glad to see everyone is alive, seams that long since my last post. The overspray was a real pain, won’t make that error again.😂 The tins of paint on table, just moving stuff around. See you are a IJN fan, I also have quite a selection up the attic that I’m sure you’d like, Hasagawa kit of Agagi with all the etch and Nagato just two of  many, won’t live long enough to build what I have and I still keep buying. Don’t know if there’s a cure for this. Some people say yeh, it’s called a wife 😂 Can’t wait till I get to my second childhood. Anyway I’m trying to do a bit of etch onto hull of  Mikasa, shall post when I get a bit done so you see what I’m up to. Also shall dust down my Arizona and post a few photos for Yves, he seamed quite interested. Again thanks and take care. Regards Jeff.🤛

Edited by Jeff59

3 hours ago, Jeff59 said:

Can’t wait till I get to my second childhood.

You're here and you're building models.  Pretty close I'd say.:D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Decided a while back to build it this way, going to fit all the hull etch now then paint, then the decks can be fitted when ready, it is easier to work on the decks whilst not glued to hull, just have to decide when that time is right. Started on forward starboard side from bow towards the stern, done about quarter of hull so far. Starting with platforms for torpedo netting, this seems to be made from stainless steel etch?  Does knock lumps out of blades, just as well I have a few boxes, the photos kind of show how I’m working it, platform, boom then gun shielding , trying to keep the glue to a minimum. One point to note for anyone trying this build , the connection points boom to hull at waterline, I found difficult, when you double the eye part of bracket over it’s a pig to fit through the circular disc. Had to grip the eye part in folding jig and lightly file both sides, then try to pressure the disc on to this, not an easy task. Or just use half the etch and don’t fold it back on itself, ie cut away half of the folded part, wonder how the other chaps building this ship faired with this, driving me nuts trying not to ping the parts. Any way I’ll put some more photos up. Yves you done me a favour asking about Arizona model, I dusted it down for some photos, I forgot how much time I must have spent on this kit, might want to progress with it later. Bought this kit when it was released, so quite a while back, my first experience of 1/200 scale I liked it so bought two, told Jaqueline the second one was a waterline version. 😂 Couldn’t tell her it was the same kit 👀  Always hoping PONTOS will do a set for it, maybe if Trumpeter releases it again, can only hope. My one ended up with unpainted etch to show the details, think it was White Ensign and Eduard etch I used. Not finished, no surprises there.

7B6C99D0-24A0-41AB-B272-FB41F0CC5C0F.jpeg

65A039E9-ABF1-43B1-AC16-AC8A00601E63.jpeg

08243DCC-C5F3-40C4-BC30-1398CD03BD6A.jpeg

C76CF85A-6229-47E8-8E8F-C9C08EBF30D0.jpeg