HIJMS MIKASA 1902 by Jeff59 - Hobby Boss - 1/200

With hindsight I would have did the after bridge wheelhouse the same way, but that part of the model has sailed. 😂 Also the small parts next to aft wheelhouse, Pontos give instructions to fit small hand wheel, Brass 29 and etch part 156. Think they must have thought this was same as the deck hatches on forward and aft decks, looks similar. But I  think these structures are part of ventilation trunking, the top of the trunking seems to stop just short of the viewing slits in wheelhouse. I extended the kit parts using styrene stock and used a fine piece of plastic wire to form the edge at side of this, quite easy , just used liquid cement and formed it around the edge of trunking, also would have done this on after bridge. Definitely looks like ventilation duct, guessing it goes down into ship below deck, anyway who would want to work a handle at that height. I can only be wrong, not the first time in this build. 🙄

0660573A-EF50-4C05-AB28-B2D4B1290FAC.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff59

The alteration to wheelhouse was simply enough to achieve, just cut desired thickness of plastic, glue to roof of original part and trim same amount of bottom. 👍 Removed the last Of surface details on bridge structure for adding etch details, what you do to get away from those 12 pounder guns. 🤪

image.jpg

image.jpg

I won’t  go into the details of this, a pain in the tonsils, and have to make two. If you are daft enough to try this then watch, you have to slide the gun tub down the mast into position before fitting the next ring on mast, which is for the rigging on lifting boom. This is were it gets daft now need a second Pontos set to get the boom and rigging for forward mast which is not available on 1905 version, theirs a lot more than just this needed, come on Mr Pontos save us.🤪

Edited by Jeff59

Finally, done a little bit on funnel tops, noticed the Ka detail set had had an etching for producing twelve pipes on top plate, betting this is correct, so have copied this, just used styrene stock again and drill the tube out to size. Carefully positioned into place using white glue, give’s you a chance to move them into position, painted the inside of these before fitting, never have got it with air brush. Obviously this is better done before fitting those difficult funnel etchings. Then mask and paint. Well I have to say  seem to have done a lot with nothing to show for it. I can see this is still going to take a while. 😕

image.jpg

Jeff: I’m just looking through the Pontos bits and pieces. And I do mean bits. I’m gaining an appreciation for your microscopic efforts on this Mikasa.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

S-Boat 55 Thanks for the compliment it always lifts one’s spirits when someone likes what you are doing 🤛 it’s one of those models that has so much details to fit that you get a lot of satisfaction when you see it coming together, I’d say a nice model for anyone to have in their collection. Pontos have done a  fine job with this detail set. 👏 But the set is for Mikasa as she was in 1905. Indeed the Hobby Boss version depicting her in her delivery colours from 1902-04? does not have a dedicated set for her yet, hope this version proves popular and Pontos see it financially viable to do a set. Some times the detail set makes you want to buy the model to go with it. 😂 Think there is an element of truth in that. Anyway thanks again, still a lot to do, really starting to enjoy it now that it’s starting to look more like a ship. Always like ship models. 👍

Edited by Jeff59

Hi Tim, glad you are just about on board🤛 It’s a bit of an etch monster isn’t it? Think you shall enjoy it I suspect. Going by some of the builds under your belt time is not an issue when doing a model. Looking forward to helping you in any way I can. In fact you might be able to help me when it comes to me doing the rigging, suspect you’ll have plenty experience there, me none. 😂 Same as my air brushing, point and fire, big learning curve there, as you see with my earlier attempts. One point on my build she is not strictly correct on decking, the boat decks and bridge superstructure decks should be wood I think, didn’t do this because I wanted to use the etch set available to me, the Pontos set you have. Don’t know if Artworks or Ka models can sell this decking separately?  Think from the side she looks quite close though. Anyway as long as the individual enjoys and is happy with what he is doing that’s what matters.  Sorry for the short post shall do a longer one next time. 😂

Just had a daft thought, how nice would it be to try and make a copy of the paddle ship tender?  and display it in case along side the Mikasa with crew and civilian workforce onboard depicting this scene, with an accompanying photo of this and her history? Would probably add another six months to the build. 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff - sorry I missed your post above somehow; I’ve had your log up on my iPad but never read yours from the 13th until just now. I’ve made a start, and yes it’s photo etch madness for sure. My method is to try and keep my eye on the big picture and not get too lost in the micro but we will see how that goes. Im just putting the deck on. My modeling calendar is usually restricted to winter which here is a lot, but I will be building on the real world scale as usual starting in April so wanted to at least get it rolling before then. Right now I’m pondering a superstructure base colour - did you paint yours?  

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

It’s looking great Jeff. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 1 month later...

Well it’s that time of life again, an update from Jeff ? that’s the bloke trying to build the Mikasa 😂 had to laugh the Ukrainians have sunk the missile cruiser Moskva before I finished my model of her, how many years ago did I start that ? 🤔 🙄 Any way I hope everyone is well and happy and building models quicker than Jeff, really thought I’d be further on than I am. Yeh I was building the port side boat deck and 12 pounder guns. On the side structure that glues onto the main deck and upper hull, I finished fitting hull shielding for the 12pdrs, also built and fitted small anchor. Whilst looking at Mikasa museum page to get position off the anchor I noticed three port holes that are missing from the kit part, so added these into build. Shall put some photos on to show this.

ACFC7D4B-6758-499B-A7B6-C2EB8B5573CE.png

7F5082D1-4257-4637-B6CB-91FC53847D61.png

15BA96E2-5336-4908-8AF4-12D0369636FA.jpeg

E2C7155E-3265-42DC-8E7A-C897DA419FA7.jpeg

Proceeded with boat deck, I used 0.8 brass wire for support posts and glued them in place making sure they lined up after fitting each one, after complete painted this section and the metal etch deck. Once paint had time to cure, glued the etch deck to plastic part using white glue. Next I had a look at small handrail around deck opening here, be careful when bending this, it’s not straight forward as regarding fold points, care needed. Also the steps here may need some doctoring to get the stanchions tying in. Sprayed these separately then glued in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg