HIJMS MIKASA 1902 by Jeff59 - Hobby Boss - 1/200

Next was making gun shields from plastic stock, absolute nightmare trying to keep going with these, the end result kind of works but can’t recommend it to anyone but the most patient, I had a few crushed guns a tweezer flinging contests, seems you have to be in the mood not in a mood. 😂 Anyway see once the deck is glued into position you can hardly see them. Best advice is people pester Pontos for an additional upgrade set for 1902 version would be a much easier solution. Also did a bit more work on main mast along with some painting, decided to use Vallejo 71.074 Beige. Sat after bridge and mast in position to show how it looks. Well that’s it for now, shall have to do Starboard side now, joy.  Put some more photos up. 🤛

069C55BB-717B-457A-AD4B-7AE7A99C7346.jpeg

D62E67A4-D047-4750-9E73-03873CA1C84D.jpeg

518A0472-94B7-4979-8D71-46251E3EC779.jpeg

D80007C5-AD4A-499B-A205-B39F831395D8.jpeg

365955D9-8154-409B-BBEF-6958E33820ED.jpeg

D6AC1FA7-3C17-42F5-A124-FAD9CF946B8E.jpeg

F3EC0F1C-8C9E-4C17-BFF8-FCE51806D749.jpeg

75D3DBBA-B9F6-4DFE-BB05-D4BD02F583B3.jpeg

Edited by Jeff59

59 minutes ago, Jeff59 said:

tweezer flinging contests

I hate those! Almost as infuriating as tiny parts that simply vanish when dropped. 😠

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Chris, it’s when they go ping and you haven’t a clue what direction they went, no chance. Even when you catch a glimpse of were it fell you still can’t find it. Must have spent hours in the carpet etch grave.😂 yet some times it happens and you see it right away. Weird isn’t it. Guess it’s a bonus when you have extra parts. 👍 

Edited by Jeff59

3 hours ago, Jeff59 said:

Guess it’s a bonus when you have extra parts. 👍 

Just today I began a certain build step with three extra parts on hand. One 'ping' and one 'simply vanished' later, now I have no extra parts. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

What did I just watch?   :default_wallbash::unsure::huh:  Yes, kill the sound.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Yes, kill the sound.

Certainly need to kill something! I suspect that even listening long enough to hear what was being talked about did some damage! 😝:unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Sadly, we have no "yuck" button on our likes menu.

Here ya' go.  Just click and save to a folder.  Use at your discretion and risk.    And now back to the build.

1614708689_download(1).jpg.57a7ac2f404b07268f97d178fae20ce6.jpgdownload.jpg.6c2d8e6e41a4d36a43b9993472f28b1d.jpgistockphoto-164109600-612x612.jpg.5c961213be2d355d76937f1769933586.jpgistockphoto-1131122841-1024x1024.jpg.ee63a087370f2db65aba31bf9f0b9c89.jpgsamuel-3898008_1280.png.eae3582066432e20693c6397f229dfb0.pngyuk-clipart-5.jpg.8e0c038fabcd2157ea65407ba74a98d3.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well at last got to a posting stage, after a long break of inactivity I went to a local model show, first since the Covid restrictions and really enjoyed myself, even ended up joining a local model club who I have to say displayed some magnificent ship models, so looking forward to some expert help with rigging and weathering. Great bunch of guys 👍 Also had my usual spending spree, one kit I bought especially after seeing one built on a display stand was the Yamato’s secondary gun from Takom 1/35 scale, this got me back into a modelling frame of mind and took me about two weeks to build, shall put a picture on beside Mikasa at end of post, might make someone interested in obtaining one.  Anyway back to the Mikasa, had a mental block in mind getting past making the 3 inch guns with gun shields but when I made a start got through the next four guns not too badly, omitted some of the details to ease the process since like the build CDW did, he says you can’t really see them that well anyway. The build process was the same process as before on the port side boat deck. A few photos to show some progress, at last🙄

Edited by Jeff59

That last photo shows the cowls removed from this piece of trunking, I’m sure I mentioned to watch how you set these, 🤔 lol, think I’ll have to read my own instructions, these two need turned 90 to offset forward, necessary for the etch boat steelwork to fit. Breaking the trunking from the deck was a bit more problematic, bought some debonding glue to help, eventually softened enough for me to ease of by rocking back and forward by inserting tweezers inside and rocking back and forward till it eased off. Dressed the parts as best I could and reset them. There’s a saying amongst tradesmen if you never made a mistake you ain’t made anything. 😂

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff59

Making these parts takes time and patience, you also have to watch and fit the right parts together and to the right position on ship, this is important for it all to work, that’s when I discovered the cowls were oriented wrongly. So keep an eye on this section. I painted these in batches fitting in place as I saw fit. I did discover that my supper structure that I had fitted previously supporting the boat deck from the hull was very slightly leaning inwards probably by about half a millimetre, this is enough to cause problems so watch for this, I had to lever the boat deck outwards to set the etch parts in place, the ones on the port side dropped in nicely. So advice is to make some of these parts and check this before you fit the hull structures. 👍

The steps from the bridge structure to the boat deck don’t seem to fit right, don’t know if it’s something I’ve done wrong or not but to get them fitting how I want them led me to doctoring them. The stringers on the outside have a tiny fold mark at the bottom allowing for fixing to deck. Photo 

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff59

The steps to the boat deck, didn’t fold this plus cut a bit styrene stock thick enough to let the steps sit at desired angle then painted the part as deck colour. Not correct but solved the bigger problem, seems to be a similar problem when fitting the other steps from boat deck down to main deck, except here the part is too long and requires altering again to get a desired result. Think I managed to steal all this. 🤞

image.jpg