Sizes of blocks, deadeyes, etc.

cmgam

Hi

Thanks for the join. 

I'm having a hard time choosing Tackle Blocks, Blocks, Deadeyes, etc. for the 1/120, 1/130 scale, because I have no idea of the sizes. For example, deadeyes I have found with 2mm, 3mm, etc. What is the most appropriate size for that scale? Smaller sizes?
Thanks
Regards

The appropriate size would be actual block size divided by 120 or 130..

So an 8 inch block would be 1.6 - 1.7 - mm.

I'll try to find a recent discussion about very small blocks..  At this scale you are talking about little bits of plastic or whatever to

simulate blocks..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

CM

What ship/nationality/year are you building?   Deadeyes and blocks this size require great eyesight and patience.   Ships in Miniature by McCaffery goes into a good bit of detail on making tiny parts and is worth buying a copy to help you at these smaller scales.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi
Thank you for your answers. The kits I refer to are both from Airfix, Cutty Sark and Endeavor that were offered to me. As a matter of fact and because of this coronavirus and confinement problem, I still don’t have them in my possession thus I don't know how they are, the parts they bring, what can be done to improve, etc.. I was just anticipating what I might need. 

Thanks again. 

Regards 

As I am currently working in 1/160 scale and struggling to produce blocks, I gather I know what I am talking about: you have two issues to tackle here, namely

- you need sources on both ships that provide you with the necessary rigging information, such as

LONGRIDGE, C.N. (1933): The Cutty Sark.- 440 p., Kings Langley/Herts. (Model and Allied Publications, reprint 1975).

MARQUARDT, K.H. (1995): Captain Cook’s Endeavour.- Anatomy of the Ship Series: 136 p., London/Annapolis MD (Conway Maritime Press/United States Naval Institute Press, Annapolis).

- you need to find a way to manufacture the hardware in quite large quantities. McCaffery, quoted by Allan above, works in really small scales, perhaps half the size of your scale and uses wire for the standing as well as the running rigging. He essentially simulates blocks and dead-eyes with paper discs. For blocks he uses oval punches he makes himself.

I am currently experimenting with laser-cut paper, but these experiments have not yet had the desired results. Building up the blocks with styrene sheet the way other people build up them up with layers of wood strips could be an option at such small scale. Styrene has the advantage of not having any grain and texture that would make small pieces fragile and be out of scale.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg