Question Sherboune 1763 Inventory Rigging and blocks

cotrecerf

Hello popeye2sea,

Thanks for your suggestion. There are some clearly legible "ones" in the chart. (green circles).

So I think there must be another interpretation for the fishhook; zeros are clearly discernible, too.

Please experts, give it a further go.

thanks in advance

sherbourne_inventory.jpg.hooknumber.jpg

This was my take as well Druxey, but don't understand why two different "1s" would be used.  I looked at the tutorials on the National Archives at Kew website and it goes into letters in depth but I could not find anything on numerals there.    For anyone wanting to read and perhaps transcribe a handwritten contract, the tutorial there is invaluable.  

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

12 minutes ago, popeye2sea said:

One followed by another numeral is scripted, while one by itself is not

Regards

Could be true, although that is inconsistent as well.  On the right side the 1 is followed by another numeral and is not scripted.  Although hard to read, it also appears that there is no use of the medial/long s anywhere (e.g. in Bowsprit) which also seems a little odd.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Henry,

Can you please share your source on these rules as It sounds like it could be really useful when reading these old papers?   

Alas, as Jason points out it seems that the scribe that wrote the above page did not follow the rule you mention very much.   On the third line from the bottom, left side, there is one example and there appear to be other inconsistencies throughout.       

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good Morning Henry;

I would be very interested in knowing your source for the rigging data table. I have not seen this before. Can you me know, please, if it's not a secret. 

Re the handwriting styles, don't be too hard on the writer. Most old docs have various ways of spelling the same word, frequently in the same line or close to it, so it is not un-natural that the numerals will vary. The first clue to the hook numeral is in the date at the top right hand side, where the date has a hooked 1. Be glad that the handwriting is neat and legible. I have seen some real horrors.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good evening Mark,

Quote: I would be very interested in knowing your source for the rigging data table. I have not seen this before. Can you me know, please, if it's not a secret. -Unquote

The source is definetely not a secret. I copied the jpg of the rigging data table on 08.01.2020 but I have not been able to retrace the source so far, as my net browser history is cleared regularly. My nearest guess would be the NMM UK, but I have not managed to trace it there today. Hopefully I will find a clue on my second PC.

Sorry that I cannot be of any service right now.

best regards

cotrecerf

I

16 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Henry,

Can you please share your source on these rules as It sounds like it could be really useful when reading these old papers?

I do not have a source for any rule on scripted numerals. Just going on what I have read in other places.  One additional note from when I was pouring over this table.  All of the other numerals: 0,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 are readily identifiable, leaving this to be the numeral one by process of elimination.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you both to Druxey and cotrecerf.

That is a great help.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS