Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Back in those days, there was no regulation to govern such things on working vessels. The Bureau of Navigation wanted to make sure they had the name clearly visible on the boat, that they had running lights etc., and that they had a current license issued by the customs collector.

Russ

I have been following your build with much interest. My grandfather grew up on the beach at Bay St Louis in the '20s and was an avid sailer of schooners and cat boats. He spoke fondly of the commercial Biloxi bay schooners he saw all around him.

Just a question of terms.........auto correct is objecting to my use of sailer with an "E" rather than the "O". But I think I am correct in this usage.

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Michael:

There were many schooners working in the Bay St. Louis area back in the 20s. Most of them probably shrimping and/or oystering for the Peerless Cannery or Dunbar-Dukate's local cannery.

Your father was a sailor, but he sailed schooners and catboats. Best I can do on that. :)

Russ

Adding my wee voice to the chorus of praise, I have to say that not only are your skills in joinery admirable, but your historical knowledge as well.

Always a pleasure.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin:

Thanks for the kind words. Compared with many here on MSW and other sites, I am a mere apprentice.

Russ

• 2 months later...

Finally, an update. I have been wrestling with the chainplates and deadeye strops. These are still just hanging there, not yet aligned and permanently attached. The assemblies will be painted white. They are rather rough looking, but they are an improvement as far as scale size.  

I have been working on getting the pieces down to something close to scale, and also how to connect the strops and the chainplates. Note the bolt and nut used to connect the strop and the chainplate. These are from Scale Hardware.

Russ

post-164-0-60819500-1419750870_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-84250800-1419750880_thumb.jpg

they'll look better with paint Russ........nice!   the bolts give a detail you don't usually see.   looking good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very tedious work Russ.... Excellent job.

BTW....We just returned from visiting our kids and grandkids in Lake Charles. Thought bout you as we drove through Biloxi going and returning.

Happy New Year!

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

looking good Russ.... the nuts and bolts really do the job!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice to see the progress Russ

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have been working on getting the pieces down to something close to scale, and also how to connect the strops and the chainplates.

Russ

Your "work" paid off.  They're looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the likes.

Dave, wish I had known you were coming through.

Russ

John:

Thanks. It is tight quarters for soldering. The bolts are .5mm in diameter and the nuts can be difficult to deal with, but once you get the hang of it, they work very well. Much better than gluing the pins for sure. :)

Russ

Elia:

Thanks for the kind words. I know they look awful right now, but as you say, they will be painted and that will help push them into context. What really makes these work is the bolts and nuts from Scale Hardware. I have already laid in a stock of various size bolt and nut combinations for a future larger scale build.

Russ

Kudos Russ.  When I did mine I used brass rod the right diameter and press fit it .  Yours look great.  I never heard of Scale Hardware.  Those bolt add to your assembly and really do it justice.  I wish I had some of hem would have saved me alot of grief and time.  Too late now.  Well done.

David B

David:

Thanks for the kind words.

www.scalehardware.com

Russ

• 4 months later...

Kenneth:

It was a fun day. We got to see some great boats and talk with some really nice people. Even managed to plank a model skiff hull as well. Not a bad way to spend the day. :)

You are far too kind about the schooner, but I appreciate it.

Russ

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I had a real update, but it has been busy, both in the shop and out. Work gets in the way, but I have also had several commissions of late, some of which I will bring to your attention in time.

Here is a look at the wheel. The close up looks rather nasty, but once it is on the deck it blends in quite well.

Russ

post-164-0-51846700-1436151459_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-59035200-1436151468_thumb.jpg

Edited by russ

I have been working on some metal pieces as well. Here is a shot of the band at the top of the topmast. The entire topmast will be painted white, as will this band.

Russ

post-164-0-98738600-1436150951_thumb.jpg

Edited by russ

One challenge that I have been working on is the mast hoops for this model. At 1/48 scale, I have been trying to come up with a way to make them small enough to blend into the scale of the model. I need 22 hoops, 11 for both mainsail and foresail.

Here is what I came up with. Brass wire is soldered into a loop and the piece cut off with a tail. The piece is then fitted over a dowel that acts as a jig to make sure that the hoop is circular and that it can be filed up with no problem. Once the tail is cut off, the hoop is filed to remove the evidence of the joint and then it is filed all around the outside to make that side somewhat more flat.

The last thing will be to chemically tone them with Bluejacket's Brass Brown. Once sewed to the boltrope and in place on the mast, they should look enough like wood at this scale.

Russ

post-164-0-42174200-1436151190_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-05904000-1436151204_thumb.jpg