russ

Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

John, Sam, and Nils:

Thanks for the kind words. Also, thanks for all the likes.

Russ

Hi Russ -- That wheel is interesting.  Could you give us a few details on its construction?  What materials did you use?

Cheers,

Martin

Kenneth:

Thanks. I think the camera shows all of the mistakes. :)

Russ

Martin:

I freely admit that I could have made a better job of the wheel. Close up, the paint work should be better for sure. However, it is not too bad when you look at it from a distance. :)

The boss and the rim are of boxwood. The rim piece was cut out and the inside section removed. Files were used to clean up the inner and outer surfaces. The spokes are of bamboo. Each spoke extends through the rim and then is cut off to form the handles. The outer and inner rims are of poster board, as are the pieces set onto the rim at each spoke.

Russ

I know it has been a long time, but I am still working on this schooner. I had to take time to do all sorts of other projects including a large scale model restoration last year. In the meantime, I have been getting a few things done on this model, here and there. Here is where I am at right now.

I am painting the bottom of the hull red. This has a several very thin coats and it will need a few more yet.

I have the sails almost ready. I still need to attach the hanks for the forestaysail and the jib. The main and foresails are both ready to go on the masts right now.

In preparation for rigging, I am making some blocks. Here is the double block for the main gaff halyard.

Russ

post-164-0-55936300-1459735674_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-50897800-1459735689_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-45363700-1459735708_thumb.jpg

Tought you had someting to finish here at MSW. Good to see you back at the 'bench', Russ

Cheers

Here is the nearly completed red bottom. I see from the stern photo, I need to a little touch up around the sternpost. The camera always finds these thing. :) In any event, it does not look too bad.

Russ

post-164-0-53352300-1459822197_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-76279100-1459822209_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-93441600-1459822223_thumb.jpg

Chuck:

Thanks. I am hoping that the waterline will be okay. Those pics are about as close as you can get to seeing the underside of the model when it is on its cradle. Maybe it will work.

Russ

I feel your pain Russ........I've got a few more years yet.    and when I get there,  they'll probably have raised the bar another couple of years  :(

the bottom paint look great........touch ups are part of the process.  you'll be doing it until you throw up your hands and say  'I'm finished!'  {I've done it on all my builds  ;)  }   it a good color scheme....red and white compliment each other.   good to see your working on her again  :)

Good to see you back Russ, and nice work. My Schooner is still tucked away, awaiting me finding time to rebuild my workbench.

/Alfons

Alfons:

Thanks. I hope you can get your workbench rebuilt and get back to building. Good luck.

Russ

Ken:

Thanks. I have been building all along, but not on this model. I am glad t be back at this model though. I hope to get it completed this summer.

Russ