Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Sam:

LOL. Thanks. This model is intended as a surprise gift for a friend of mine (if I ever get it completed) and the name is his first name and middle initial.

Russ

That looks great Russ; lovely detail!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. I am fairly pleased with it, especially since it is the first time I have tried making decals. I think it will work okay, but I hope to improve on a larger model and scale.

Russ

Dave:

Thanks for the too kind words. She has a ways to go yet and many things I should have improved upon. Thanks for looking in.

Russ

Hi Russ Great work on the decals, The spreader is a type I have seen during my perusal of masts and rigging during my own researches I wouls suspect that it is a strong design with light weight sections.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

I am glad that there is as much photographic evidence for fittings like that from this area.

Russ

Russ, if you had not already thought of/intended to do, a trick the plastic modellers use, is to brush a layer of clear over them to seal and protect them.  You just need to ensure it is a non-yellowing clear finish.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks for the suggestion. I sealed them with a clear layer after they dried. I used to build plastic kit models back in the day as well. :)

Russ

Elia:

Thanks. It was not as difficult as I thought. It will improve with experience.

Russ

I have to agree Russ....nice job on the decals.......neat how you blended the two color fonts.     you must have used paint shop?   I have a decal program for mine.....works very good,  but it does have a transparency problem.  I have to be creative making them for a darker background.  using a printer is a trip..... since printers don't do white........thankfully,  white decal paper solves that problem in most cases.

nice work on the spreader.........try a test though with thin strip  0.7 x 1 mm  {or 2 mm}  looking at the picture,  1/16 square stock might come off as being too thick,  unless you plan to sand it down to the desired thickness.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye:

Thanks for the kind words. I used Paintshop Pro. I created the image in CAD, and then saved it as a pdf, copied that as a jpeg and brought it up in Paintshop Pro and used the negative image function to reverse the colors for the black ribbon. I painted out the black areas around the ribbon a bit and then printed it on the white decal paper. I sprayed it a couple of time with the Clear coating, let it set over night and then applied the next day.

The spreader will get sanded down just a bit. It is almost right on scale or about 3 inches square, but just a little work will make it look a little lighter. Not much is really needed.

Russ

Here is the spreader with the bands on the ends and the holes drilled for the topmast shroud. Everything will be painted white once I am done sanding and cleaning up the piece. Still just a tad rough. The spreader is not yet attached to the mast. It is just in place for fitting purposes.

Russ

post-164-0-65975600-1462317369_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-29049000-1462317383_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-68156900-1462317393_thumb.jpg

I was looking at the photo of the spreader........you can even add eye bolts as guides for the rigging lines.  looks good up there  ;)

that's what I did for the Andrea Gail......set up the decals,  changed the background color to green,  and printed them on white decal paper.   the hard part is the color spectrum.  some shops only show the normal color range......but there are others that will give you the hues in between.  I'm on the lookout for a chart with the color formulas......I think this would help tremendously.    the other cool thing is your also able to import images....look into scanning images of stencils......I've found them to be a great source of scroll designs,  as well as block lettering and roman numerals.  doing a frieze is a breeze  ;)

glad to see your build back in action........she's a sweet looking boat  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty sure they led the shroud through holes in the outer edge of the spreaders. There is no indication of eyebolts in that photo, although that area is rather obscure. I will go with the holes.

Russ

Here is a look at the completed windlass. Still needs a bit of touch paint here and there, but considering scale and skills, not that bad. I am off to give the last make up exams and the final exam tonight. Later.

Russ

post-164-0-35410000-1462391083_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-75104000-1462391095_thumb.jpg

Lovely work, Russ.   She's coming together beautifully.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys. I realize that it is not the best looking work around here, but, believe it or not, when you stand back and look, it passes the "five foot" test. :)

Russ

Here are some progress photos that show the overall model as it sits today.

Russ

post-164-0-93160600-1462598995_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-72883100-1462599025_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-82697500-1462599047_thumb.jpg

Very nice, she has a fine looking hull.  She'll be a beauty.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray