Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

looking super Russ........layout is getting better and better  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Those schooners had beautiful lines Russ; you have done a very good job in bringing these to life in your model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. I really wish I could take credit for those lines. However, the lines are based on the appearance and measurements of actual schooners, particularly those built by Martin Fountain Sr., who lived and worked in this area from 1855-1938. He was a great boat builder and one of the deans of Biloxi boat building.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Russ -

It was good to see you at the wooden boat show in Biloxi yesterday; once a year is not often enough.

Everyone -

The photos are nice but nothing is like seeing this little schooner up close and personal. The decal work is amazing for this scale and so is the deck planking. You almost need a magnifying glass to see the hardware (I used my reading glasses) and it is top-notch.

Kenneth

Kenneth:

It was good to see you and everyone else at the wooden boat show. There was a wealth of Biloxi history walking around the pier this past weekend. :)

Thanks for the kind words about the schooner. I really appreciate it.

Russ

• 2 months later...

I am still here and still at it. Summer finals are graded, grades are posted and so I have some time to do some more work. Here are the rest of the deadeyes for the shrouds. I needed 10 and made 12. Not a bad idea since they may be needed. I also include another photo of my deadeye jig. It is quite handy and easy to make.

Russ

post-164-0-86386800-1470085004_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-26294700-1470085025_thumb.jpg

Nice to see you have more time in the dockyard Russ; those dead eyes have come up very well.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. They are not that difficult to make once you get the hang of it. I turned out a dozen in about an hour or so the other night.

Russ

Kenneth:

I got the idea from Harold Underhill's book, Plank on Frame Modeling. He used a metal jig which certainly lasts longer than wood, but wood was easier for me. Thanks to Harold Underhill for suggesting many good ideas. :)

Russ

While I am making blocks, here is a look at the masts temporarily in place.

Russ

post-164-0-80859800-1470365932_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-90604700-1470365953_thumb.jpg

She's turning into a lovely lady. Russ.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks. I am slowly getting her to the point of rigging. If all goes to plan, she will come out looking really nice. We will see. :)

Russ

Carl:

Thanks. Slow is one thing, but this is in its 4th year. It will be completed before Christmas. :)

Russ

doesn't matter how long it takes Russ.........just as long as your enjoying what your building,  and keeping the mind active  ;)  nice bit 'o progress !  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye:

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

John:

I am almost ready to get the sails, gaffs, and booms onto the masts and then I can complete the mastheads and permanently mount the masts on the deck. It all has to happen in a certain order so it is slow going to stop, think, and check to make sure I do not get ahead of myself.

Russ

Sam:

Thanks. I agree with that. I just dislike the idea of a very gracious and understanding client having had to wait so long. If I were building just for me, I would not be so time conscious.

Russ

Not rushing or not Russhing ... They must be very patient, and understanding though. On the other hand, they will receive a brillantly built schooner ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sam and Carl:

My client is a very good friend and has told me not to rush anything. She understands without a doubt. If it were actually a brilliantly built model, I would be happy. Instead, it is what it is. There are aspects of the model I like, but there are also plenty of imperfections, things I wish I had done differently, etc. It is far from perfect and no where near brilliant. Fortunately for me, she is one who thinks it is great and does not dwell on the imperfections. :)

Like any model, this has been a learning experience and I will take what I have learned and apply it to the models that will follow. Hopefully, they will be better because of this experience.

Russ

Ah, the builders eyes ... " If it were actually a brilliantly built model, I would be happy. Instead, it is what it is."

She will never be perfect, or brilliant in your eyes, Russ. That's your prerogative, however, to others she will just be the contrary ... I like imperfections, that makes them unique, and beautifull, and full of surprises, eventhough I, myself, strive for the unobtainable perfection to

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl:

Thanks. I agree about perfection. Perfection is that for which we strive, but can never obtain. However, in the attempt, we reach further and accomplish more than we would otherwise.

All of that said, there are a couple of areas along the bulwarks that are just downright embarrassing. :)

Russ

Here are a few blocks and a cleat.

The blocks are rope stropped, although on the real boats, they were mostly internally metal stropped. At this scale, rope stropped will have to do. The double sheaved block is 5/32" long as is the larger single sheaved block. The smallest block is 1/8" long.

The cleat is for the forward side of the foremast.

Russ

post-164-0-05821000-1470515982_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-80298200-1470515997_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-58127700-1470516017_thumb.jpg

rope stropping looks fine  ;)   

my admiral like the little imperfections too......she's always telling me that.   it gives it that human touch.......otherwise spoiled if it were perfect.   now......close your eyes,  and click your heels three times.........and say....."it's a sweet 'lil boat.......it's a sweet 'lil boat....  :)

remember one thing.........if nothing is mentioned,   few will notice  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: