Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Here is a little progress. The mainsail is laced to the gaff and boom and the sail hoops are fed into the lower mast. I wanted to see if everything fit well enough. So far it is not too bad.

Russ

post-164-0-77696900-1471404659_thumb.jpg

John:

Thanks. I know it is far from perfect, but it will be okay. I might try to iron some of the quilting out of it. Might not be possible, but it is worth a try.

Russ

You could try to spray some water on the sail when you iron it. You could press it out, that is another option: lay a wet cloth on top and press with the iron. When I use the latter technique, I hold the iron down until the wet cloth is nearly dry beneath the ion

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

looks great with the main sail in place Russ......really sweet!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks. I am working on the masthead now and getting ready to attach the topmast. I just have to go slow and remember that everything has to go on in a certain order. :)

Russ

Very nice Russ; love that sail -it gives the model a great sense of proportion.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

The rigging has begun. Right now, there is a lot of spaghetti. :) My goal is to have as much pre rigging done as possible before I set the mast permanently.

Russ

post-164-0-81987700-1472884055_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-70373200-1472884074_thumb.jpg

Edited by russ

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since any update. Not much to show, but things are moving along. Work and family have been taking priority, but I am hopeful I can make more progress over the next few weeks.

The display board has been cut and needs only a little more finish on it.

The deck pump is in place. It is pinned to the deck with a bamboo dowel. Like all the other pieces on deck, it can be removed and replaced at any time. The pump was made with a wooden base with paper for the rest of the structure. If you stand a away a little bit, it does not look completely hideous.

The masts and sails are in the works. I only need a few more eyebolts and blocks attached and I will be ready to set the masts in place permanently.

Thanks for looking in.

Russ

post-164-0-98869500-1478462058_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-46496000-1478462076_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-10435800-1478462094_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-88415100-1478462122_thumb.jpg

She's looking mighty fine Russ, can't wait to see her with her sails.

cheers

Pat

sweet look'in ship Russ......you made your own decals  ;)  well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye:

Thanks. The decals were not as much of a chore as I thought they would be. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is something that anyone can do. Since I am not much of a hand with a paint brush, it was a good alternative. :)

Russ

you use paint shop....am I right?  I bought into the Testor's  'decal it' program.   it's good,  but it has a few bugs.   I do have to say though,  I've been able to do some cool things with it.    if I would have known about paint shop,  I could have saved some cash  ;)

she looks swell!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I created the image in ACAD, then copied it to Paintshop Pro and made a negative image. That gave me the black background with white letters. I scaled it and printed it out on decal paper from Micromark.

Russ

For better or worse, I am getting into the final stages. Here is a look at the schooner with all sails but the fisherman set. This is all a dry fit to see what works and what does not. I have changed out the foresail sheet blocks and I will probably do the same with the forestaysail sheet blocks.

This is where I determine if the "look" is acceptable. In fact, there are many things about this model I do not like, but those are my fault and they will be filed under lessons learned for future reference. I apologize for the crude nature of this work.

Once everything seems okay, I will permanently set the masts, complete fore stays, the running rigging, and then the shrouds.

Russ

post-164-0-66292500-1479184608_thumb.jpg

This is where I determine if the "look" is acceptable. In fact, there are many things about this model I do not like, but those are my fault and they will be filed under lessons learned for future reference. I apologize for the crude nature of this work.

Russ no need to apologize for anything, it is always the journey that we take in our work that leads to knowledge and insight. I like the look of your model and am enjoying following along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Crude????  Looks pretty good work to me Russ.  She looks great with her suite of sails.

cheers

Pat

Crude.. I and the others don't think so.  And I thought I was harsh on myself.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. I am my own worst critic. However, I know that the sails are far too heavy for this scale and their shapes could be much better, especially at the corners.

Here is another shot with the fisherman temporarily rigged. The model will be displayed with the starboard side out, so the jib, fisherman, and gaff topsail are rigged to port. This will allow the viewer to see the main and fore halyards.

Russ

post-164-0-17105000-1479193433_thumb.jpg

Marvelous work, Russ. I see what you mean, but a model is a representation, and should be seen as such. It will never be possible to make an exact copy at the scale we are working at.

Yes, most of us are our own worst critics, but why should it be easy ..., what's the challenge in that ...!?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

This all reminds me of when My cousin, 10 years old at that time,  was learning to crochet.  She took it to show her mother and was pointing out all her errors.  Her mother said, "Don't tell me.  If I don't know where they are I don't see them and your blanket look lovely." 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob and Carl:

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks also for all the likes. :)

Russ

Edited by russ

Kenneth:

Thanks.

In the near future, I will be building a lugger named Captain Roy. I spent some time with your father in law who had a few photos that were helpful. I need to get back with him to have him look at my plan to check for errors.

Russ

I agree with the others Russ....I think she looks great  :)    sails look awesome too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

Thanks. The sails could be better, but they will suffice. The main problem is the scale. I doubt I will ever build a small vessel in a small scale like this again. Next time, it will be either 1/24 scale or 1/12 scale. The details will be much easier to manage at those larger scales.

Russ