Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Buck:

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. Modeling is a great way to pass an evening. :)

Russ

John:

Thanks. I realize these small bits are rather mundane, but they all go towards making the whole.

Russ

Russ,

Fine carpentry.  The scaph joints and stantions look good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

BobH:

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, the camera fools us slightly. Right after I glued that plank down, I went at with an emory board and worked a good deal of sawdust into that scarph joint. That makes it looks much better than it was.

Cap'n Bob:

Thanks. I am happy with the stanchions so far.

Carl:

Thanks. I am having fun making the scarph joints, even if they are not that prominent. Those covering boards will be painted anyway. I will know that the joints are there. :)

Russ

HI Russ,

I learn something every time I visit your log. Looks like you are back into the swing of building now which is good!

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted on kit build log.

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

David:

Thanks. I hope I can make some progress on a regular basis.

Russ

Good work Russ, according to my (limited) experience, those margin planks were rather tricky to make. I am looking forward to follow your progress with the deck planking.

/Alfons

Edited by Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

Alfons:

Thanks. There is a lot of trial and error fitting with the margin planks, especially up forward.

I am also looking forward to the deck planking. However, there is a good bit of work to do before then. I need to complete the margin planking and the bulwarks stanchions. Then the cleats for the stanchions have to go in. Also, the hawse holes and the lips for the pipes have to go in. There will be a doubler on the hawse pipes on the inside of the bulwarks planking between the first stanchion and the knighthead. The chainplates and deadeyes need to be installed along with the railing. After that, the rubrail can go on the outer hull. Once that is all done, I can paint the hull, along with the inner bulwarks and the margin planks. Only after the inner bulwarks and margins have been painted can I plank the deck. I want to have the margins painted and the deck to be left natural.

Russ

Take your time!  I went the other way on mine and left the margin planks natural to match the deck.  I'm looking forward to seeing your painted version :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie:

This is a compromise on my part. Normally, the deck would be painted as well, although it might be a different color. Quite often they used white on the inner bulwarks and grey on the deck. I have used the white margins and natural deck on a model before and it looked good. I just cannot bring myself to hide the lines and subtle shades of the deck planking. :)

Russ

Whatever you choose I'm sure it will shine!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sherry:

Thank you for the kind words. I am looking forward to your scratch build as well. :)

Russ

Russ,

Was able to take a minute and catch up with your build, as always ice clean work. 

Curious about your scarfs. On your "MKIII" piece you ran your scarf from outboard to inboard, ie, the shorter end of the plank is outboard. When I did mine I went exactly opposite, mainly because that gave me the longest usable planks at the bow and just went with it for continuity. Do you know if there is a preferred direction or does it matter?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam:

Thanks.

I have seen these scarph joints done both ways and there is no specific reason why I did mine this way. This is one of those items that I would like to research more down here and see what I can discover.

Russ

John:

Thanks. I am fairly pleased with the piece. It could be better in places, but once it has been painted it will melt into place.

The lips are about 5/32" long while the opening is 3/32" long. The piece is about 1/32" thick. Very fiddly. I have made another for the port side that is very nearly a match for the starboard side.

Russ

Nice Russ, sometimes i have a difficult time sorting out the size of some of these parts. Close up photography creates the impression that so much of this model work is big, when it is not big at all. 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks.

That is very true about size. There is very little context in photographs. When it is a component on the table, I can have a ruler there to give some scale, but in cases like this hawse pipe lip on the hull, it is difficult to get a sense of scale.

Russ

Russ,

You should be happy with that Hawse hole.  Very well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks. I repositioned it last night and it looks a bit better. I have also made the corresponding lip on the inside. Later today I will have a chance to get that installed as well.

Russ

Russ,

Don't ask me anything about sizes. I find it hard enough to recalculate everything to metric ... it turns me :wacko: However, what I see I like. Very much

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl:

Thanks. I will be the last person on earth using imperial measurements, I have no doubt. :)

Russ