Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Stelios:

Thanks for dropping by. It is good to see you back at MSW.

Russ

Russ I would have to go along with Druxey and John that a ratchet would make sense unless there was a small pinion to engage with a gear, there would need to be some way to lock the drum I would think.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

When the assembly is a little further along, I think the questions will be answered.

Russ

Bill:

Thanks. I am hoping to get some more time in shop later this week to finish it. Maybe, maybe not. :)

Russ

Hi Russ

Back on board after a bit of a lull. Good to see you are making great progress on the schooner. Super stuff!

You might find a drawing of the windlass from my current project of use. It is a small section from the Underhill drawing set that I have scanned.

Hope it works

post-695-0-37399900-1366889630_thumb.jpg

Dave:

Thanks. I have Underhill's work and unfortunately, it does not apply to our local schooners down here. The windlass I am making is muuuuucccchhh simpler than what Underhill shows. I thank you for taking the time to post it though.

Russ

Dave:

Thanks. I have Underhill's work and unfortunately, it does not apply to our local schooners down here. The windlass I am making is muuuuucccchhh simpler than what Underhill shows. I thank you for taking the time to post it though.

Russ

For local schooners and other small vessels it is very difficult to find drawings of details, I well understood it recently when was engaged in search of drawings for Baltic ketch.  :) 

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Fortunately, I have it sorted out based on some good photos and related contemporary sources.

Russ

I also came to collecting good photos, it is a good source of information.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

I have been fortunate to have been given access to some photos in private collections, some of which have not been seen by the general public. It has made reconstruction of some details much easier. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I just scrolled through your build and wow, Russ really nice work!  When I'm ready to move onto more advanced stuff, I'm coming here for visual pointers!  Also, I'm partial to the look and lines of schooners--they've always appealed to me, so there are few kits of these waitin' for me under my bed (storage area--with kits and etc. there, I can't see the hidin' dust bunnies ^_^  ).

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Thanks for those kind words. I am hoping to get some work done now that I will have some free time. Hopefully. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the time to go through your whole build the first time . . . excellent work and craftsmanship! It is a pleasure to watch it!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thomas:

Thanks for looking and for the kind words. I am really hoping to get more time to work on it. Too many chores these days. :)

I am happy to say that this model was a good conversation piece when I was at the wooden boat show this past weekend.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I am still trying to carve out time to work on the model. It may be a while though. It is a very busy time.

Russ

Aldo:

Thanks for the kind words. I am hoping to be able to get more done on this model in the neat future.

Russ

I managed to get a little work done this weekend. I managed to finish installing the port side bulwarks stanchions. The large cleats on the stanchions are next.

Russ

post-164-0-18646000-1371451037_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-17579300-1371451046_thumb.jpg

John:

Thanks. Actually, I cannot wait to get the deck planking in and begin cluttering. :)

Russ

Clutter away.  You are simply not going to eradicate that beautiful sheer line.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get a little more done soon.

Russ

So far, what you've added just highlights the sheer lines...  lovely work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

Thanks. It is not a complete disaster just yet. :)

Those stanchions will hold the cleats to which some of the rigging will be belayed. But there is still the hatches, bitts, deckhouse, wheel box, pumps, and windlass to be added. All that after the deck planking. The deck planking must wait for the cleats, another hawse hole to port, caprail, lower deadeyes and chainplates, rubrail, and some paint on the hull and margin plank. :)

Russ