Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Keith:

Thanks for the kind words. The hawse pipe is around 5/32" along its length. No carved chain. That will be good old fashioned brass or copper. :)

Russ

Alfons and Gerty:

Thanks for looking in and for your kind words.

Russ

Here are a couple of photos from the old log that I forgot to post.

This is the trim along the stem. This will blend into the rub rail that will eventually be placed along the outboard edges along the hull, just below the deck line.

These are made in boxwood.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

Bow trim.jpg

bow trim above.jpg

Edited by russ

Hey Russ -  if your deck work is completed and have a pic -  I'd enjoy seeing it !    :)   

Edited by gerty

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Gerty:

As soon as I can find some time to do some more work on her, the deck will be the first thing,.

Russ

Finally some more progress. I am installing the margin plank on deck. This needs careful handling and I am glad to say I have not made a complete hash of it so far. The first thing is to remove the bulkhead extensions above deck. The bulwarks have already been planked and so they are largely unsupported during the margin plank installation. There are some frightening moments during the fitting of the margin plank. The good news is that the joints are fairly tight. The bad news is you can hardly see my scarph joints. :)

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

margin plank bow.jpg

margin plank midship.jpg

margin plank scarph.jpg

margin plank transom.jpg

Edited by russ

Nice clean and precise work Russ.  I hope you are going to get some of the false stanchions installed real soon, so we can all breathe a little easier.  That looks scary, particularly the section where the scuppers are!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Looking good, Russ.  Such careful workmanship.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Russ, looks like a nerve wracking task having all that unsupported bulwark, I am enjoying the build. I suppose you will begin at midships and work towards bow and stern back and forth to ensure even support as you add the faux stanchions

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Alfons:

Thanks. There is no nibbing in the decks on the contemporary photographs. So, no nibbing here.

Russ

Bob and Bob:

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate the support. I will get some stanchions in next. I am pleasantly surprised at how rigid the planking is there.

Russ

Cap'n Bob:

Thanks. No one is more surprised than me. :)

Michael:

Thanks for looking in. I am going to add a stanchion at about the midpoint of the scupper opening and then one at each end of the opening and then fill in between them. I will use a plank for a gauge to make sure the opening stays consistent. Once the opening has been dealt with, I will add at the bow and stern.

Russ

Gerty:

Thanks for the kind words. I am looking forward to more planking tonight, if everything goes to plan.

Russ

Thanks. I like to have a "real world" look at the overall extent of the model early on in the build. The masts have yet to be shaped, but the bowsprit looks pretty good so far. At least I know that the steeve of the bowsprit is what I drew in the plans. :)

Russ

Very nice work Russ.  She has such a beautiful sheer line.  Can't wait to see more.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie:

Thanks for the kind words. These boats were very graceful for being so shallow. This particular boat is patterned after a schooner called American Girl built by Martin Fountain in 1900. My design is for a slightly smaller boat and the size was necessary for the client. In any case, Fountain was a master designer and builder here in Biloxi so he gets a good deal of the credit for this particular design.

Russ

Thanks for the background, Russ.  The imagination of the men who designed the sailing vessels we all here love never ceases to amaze me.  Beauty and function in a single package  ---- and not a computer in sight!!

Thanks for putting this one on the ways.....and on MSW.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie:

I agree that they were incredible craftsmen. I will add one other item about Martin Fountain. He could not read or write, but according to the family, he could do any math in his head. The story goes that he could look at a table of offsets and tell you whether or not the resulting design would work. That is incredible, especially for people like me who struggle with anything beyond simple math. :)

Russ

Russ, like always, great work. Did you use your toothpick trick to fit up the transom margin plank? What is the "steeve of the bowsprit" mean?

DId  I miss out on the completion of your restoration project? I was really tied up with work for most of Jan and Feb and lost track of a lot of builds. The unfortunate demise of MSW BC (Before Crash) didnt help either. Would be a shame if I missed out on that.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam:

Thanks.

The transom is, more or less, straight across. For fitting around the stern frames, I did that using trial and error. Mostly error.

The steeve is the slight upward angle at which the bowsprit points out beyond the hull. In this case it is governed quite a bit by the sheer (curve) of the deck. The bowsprit wants to continue that graceful curve of the deck's sheer.

The catboat restoration continues. I will repost it eventually. Just need to make some time and some progress.

Russ