Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Hopeful:

Thanks for dropping by and your kind words. Glad you have rejoined us after the crash.

Russ

Sinan:

Thanks for dropping by. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Russ

Here is a little more progress. I have fitted the bulwark stanchions across the transom. These are commonly spaced more closely than along the sides.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

Bulwarks stanchions aft.jpg

bulwarks stanchions forward.jpg

Edited by russ

While the glue is drying on some bulwarks stanchions, I decided to test out my deadeye jig. Here is the prototype for this model.

Russ

deadeye jig back.jpg

deadeye jig front.jpg

Edited by russ

John:

It works suprisingly well. I have made another jig that I think will work better and we will see. I need 20 deadeyes for this model so that is not too many. This is the kind of thing I can work on while waiting for glue or paint to dry. :)

Russ

Russ those deadeyes look to be 3/32 in diameter, what is the size of the holes? I remeber you showing the jig somewhere but I cannot find it.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Russ,

That deadeye looks good. When you perfect the deadeye jig, please show pictures.  I need to make some.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Dave:

Thanks for dropping in. It has been great to be back in the shop.

Russ

Michael:

The deadeyes are 3/32" diameter. The holes are .020" diameter.

Bob:

Thanks. I will post some pics of it ASAP. Back to work today. I am giving exams tonight.

Russ

Here is the deadeye jig. I made mine out of a piece of thin plywood and a strip of boxwood. I drew a stick of boxwood down to 3/32" diameter and then stuck it in the large hole in the front of the jig and drilled through the holes in the back of the jig to get the holes in the face of the deadeye.

Russ

deadeye jig.jpg

deadeye.jpg

Edited by russ

John:

If I were going to include it in a published article, I might clean it up a bit and make it appear more presentable etc. I think I have the most fun sometimes making things to make other things. :)

Russ

Thanks for the pictures, Russ.

Nice simple jig.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

If I were going to include it in a published article, I might clean it up a bit and make it appear more presentable etc.

Or you might consider making it out of brass, it would definitely last longer..... useful on the next boats deadeyes ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob:

Thanks.

Michael:

I much prefer making jigs like this out of wood. It is easier for me to manage and takes far less time. Since this jig is based on the diameter of the deadeye, I will most likely have to have another jig for another model anyway.

Russ

Sam:

Thanks.

I am drawing the stick of boxwood down to the correct diameter rather than turning it. Then I can insert the stick into the jig and drill into the end of the stick for the deadeye holes.

Russ

Russ - that is a very nice jig for doing the deadeyes.  If you'd like a little more work to do, maybe you'd considering opening a topic on it in the "Wooden Tips and Tricks and Making Jigs" forum :)  I'm sure a wider audience would appreciate it.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Bob:

Thanks.

I will try to put something together for the MSD a little later on. Right now, exams to be graded, mid term grades to be posted. And then there is the yard outside, or rather what is left of it. Must try and get some work done out there soon. Work, chores, chores, work. Spring. :)

Russ

Here is a look at the bulwarks stanchions on the starboard side. At the bow they are more closely spaced because I want to attach cleats to those stanchions. One cleat will be attached to two stanchions.

Russ

bulwarks stanchions starboard side.jpg

Edited by russ

Bob:

Thanks. It is surprising just how solid the bulwarks are now. I may yet add some fastenings to the stanchions.

Russ

Time is not an issue.  The result was well worth it.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956