Schooner Etoile 1932 by Andrea Rossato - Scale 1: 50

Étoile is a French naval schooner used as a training vessel. She was built in 1932 as a replica of a cod fishing vessel used off Iceland, as a training ship of the students of the École navale. During the Second World War, Étoile sailed to the United Kingdom after the Fall of France and was used by the Free French Naval Forces, returning to Brest in 1945. The schooner as well as her sister ship Belle Poule are still used by the École Navale as training ships in European waters.
In the early 20th Century, the French Navy scrapped its aging traditional sailing ships, Melpomène in 1904, and Borda in 1914. In the following years, it emerged that student officers would benefit from at least some sailing training. Since it would consist only in short cruises around Brest rather than long cruises, the school decided not to build a three-masted ship. Instead, it chose a replica of a cod fishing schooner, which had the advantage of being both maneuverable, and strong enough to sustain the weather of the winter around Brest. in 1931, the Ministry of the Navy ordered two such ships, as to allow enough of the students to embark at the same time. The first was Belle Poule, and the second, Étoile. 
Étoile was launched on 7 July 1932, at the unusual hour of 1 in the morning. Lieutenant Richard, who oversaw construction for the Navy, was worried that Étoile would not be completed for the launch date, and had had an argument with Lemaistre, the engineer in charge of construction. Lemaistre proceeded to the launch in the night of the day chosen for the ceremony, and officials coming for the occasion were surprised to find Étoile already afloat. 

Etoile (5a).jpg

Etoile (5b).jpg

Etoile (7).jpg

Etoile (8a).jpg

Etoile (8b).jpg

Etoile (10).jpg

Etoile (1).jpg

Etoile (2).jpg

Etoile (3).jpg

Etoile (4).jpg

Nice start, and I'm looking forward to following your build. Are you using the plans from AAMM in France?

Tony

@tkay11 Yess that plans :) 

Thanks to appreciate my work

I just took a quick look at your work ... I was speechless ... simply amazing!! I use many techniques too ... with much lower results :), but I have already seen some tricks that I have never used and that are brilliant :) Thanks also for the ideas!

Andrea

Edited by Andrea Rossato

Thank you very much for the compliment, but I don't think that you should believe you will come out with much lower results. Your beautiful work already shows your pride of finish.

I look forward to the tips you yourself provide, and from which I can learn as well. The build logs with the most detail about processes, problems and solutions are always the most interesting to me. They are much more interesting than the logs with just pretty pictures of a perfect product.

Tony

@tkay11 I totally agree with your thinking. Sharing is for learning, teaching, giving and receiving ideas. For example, I have only 2 dremels of electrical equipment and a self-built column drill, a drill and all the other tools are manual. I therefore have to find solutions to build everything by continuously creating tools that help me and often ideas that are not directly applicable to me allow me to have ideas to solve. I am attaching the photo of the drill press ... it is built starting from a broken Black & Dekker column, an electric motor of a brush cutter :). I hope I wrote something understandable ... I have to apologize but my English is terrible.

20201225_120910.jpg

That's a wonderful drill press, Andrea. Very much my kind of thinking, as you have said. I really enjoy seeing what I can do with existing tools and modifications. It is a great part of the overall fun as well as another method of learning.

And don't worry about your English. At first I thought you were a native English speaker -- you are very clear in your explanations.

Tony

21 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

That's a wonderful drill press, Andrea. Very much my kind of thinking, as you have said. I really enjoy seeing what I can do with existing tools and modifications. It is a great part of the overall fun as well as another method of learning.

And don't worry about your English. At first I thought you were a native English speaker -- you are very clear in your explanations.

Tony

Thanks a lot to Google Translator :) :)

On 1/21/2021 at 8:01 AM, Andrea Rossato said:

I am attaching the photo of the drill press ... it is built starting from a broken Black & Dekker column, an electric motor of a brush cutter

Andrea, Very creative recycling. Your English is fine.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...