Red oxide paint in tin rather than spray?

For touch-up work, I'm looking for a small tin (10 - 14 ml?) colour equivalent of Plasti-kote's Red Oxide 400ml spray primer (matt acrylic?). 

I've used Plasti-kote spray primer Red Oxide on a hulls etc for a couple of model ships .... I got it from here .... Plasti-kote 25002 400ml Primer - Red Oxide
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-kote-25002-400ml-Primer-Oxide/dp/B006XBST08/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=plastikote+red+oxide+primer&qid=1590226003&sr=8-1&pldnSite=1        

(Note: the Amazon image shows a dark orange colour... in reality the paint is closer to a medium brown with a hint of red. )

At the moment if I need to do touch-up I take the 400ml can outside and spray some paint into a small container and then dip my brush in that. It's very wasteful.

I've seen some forums mention Tamiya XF-9 or Vallejo 985 as possible substitutes for red oxide but I'm not that up to speed on paint similarities. The colour match would be 'good enough' to fool the eye but doesn't have to 100% exact.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

Matching paints from different manufacturers really will be hit and miss. Not only will pigments be different, but as binders and solvents will be different, their levels of sheen will also vary.

I think really the best strategy is one you already used, namely to decant a bit from the spray-can into a container. If you can find one with a tighly closing lid, then you may be able to store it for weeks or months, making the procedure less wasteful.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks Welfalck,

Shortly after posting, I actually was seaching the house for a small, sealable container...no luck so far. Maybe I'll clean out an old Humbrol tin with mostly used ancient paint in it.

Richard

Make friends with a nearby pharmacy tech.  Some pharmaceuticals still come in small glass bottles and they are just pitched into the trash - unless the Rx is for the amount in the bottle. 

There are Science "surplus" web vendors who sell a variety of small glass bottles.

I share your sense of wastefulness with your present process.  But step back and look at a wider perspective.  The variables involved with an alternative probably make it make it  more "expensive" overall.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers