Second Hull Planking Layer - Modeling Paste

I completed the first planking (Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805 by Jim in KC), and learned a lot.  After sanding, the hull feels pretty smooth.  I've been using the forums and the book "Ship Modeling Simplified" by Mastini to help me along.  I was hoping that the second layer would go on relatively easily and cover up any slight irregularities on the first planking.  However, apparently not - any problems will show through, right?  Mastini recommends applying a coat of modeling paste to smooth out imperfections and provide a base for the second planking.  Nothing else I've read mentions this.  Anyone have any advice about this?IMG_0593.jpg.c0d1b42f2f932b1b295da99745cd6b00.jpg

You want to have as near to a perfect hull before your second planking as possible. We all make mistakes or have difficulties. Use filler to smooth out any imperfections but be aware that when you glue the second planking that it will not adhere as well to filler/paste/putty as to wood. So don't go overboard. No pun intended. It is always better to fix problems first before you continue on as you will be fighting the same problem again. 

Rich

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

1 hour ago, Jim in KC said:

I completed the first planking (Swift Virginia Pilot Boat

That is a very nice job and shouldn't need much filling..

Any filler you use should be glue friendly..   Look for water based wood filler.

If you have any major dips that are not showing in the photo, fill those in with thin pieces of wood to smooth them out.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon