How to stain or dye boxwood?

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

I have seen many contemporary models where the blocks are approaching black..

image.png.da59bd6e806fd4c399e3744e8dec9c27.png

Then there are these, which I believe may be boxwood, as the color is a lot like very old boxwood  carvings I have seen.  I have seen similar blocks on other contemporary models. 

If I could source blocks like this, it would never occur to me to try to stain them, but as I said above, I really don't want to wait 200 years for the color to develop.

The boxwood blocks I have acquired from Syren, the quality of which can't be matched from any other source, are too light for my taste.

After reading the info in this discussion I have dyed some of my 'Chuck' blocks with some Fiebing's leather dye with results I like.

Good Evening Gentlemen;

Just a brief explanatory note here; the blocks shown are from a model which was rigged in the National Maritime Museum in the 1970s, so any colour they have is likely to be either natural or a light stain. However, the wood could well be boxwood in its natural colour, as suspected by Gregory, despite having some grain visible. I have built up a good stock of boxwood from local contacts, and one thing which is noticeable is that quite a lot of it has a very obvious growth ring pattern, even more marked than can be seen in these blocks. I know that it is boxwood, buxus sempervirens, because I marked the trees, and waited to load the logs once cut. I propose to make the frames of my Royal Caroline model using the visible grain wood, and the mouldings and planking from the creamy-yellow stuff with no visible grain. Yet if I did not know that the grainy variety was boxwood, I would lay good money that it was a fruit wood, or something else, as it bears no resemblance to what most of us think of when we envisage boxwood. 

I am uncertain as to whether or not the visible growth rings are annual, or only appear during exceptional periods of growth/non-growth. The wood is consistently hard, and does not have alternating layers of hard and soft timber. 

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS