A change of pace - A grown man's fun with paper airplanes

Excellent work! I'd like to see the list of subjects and publishers. I think I recognize the Pfalz D.III as a Marek Pacynski design.

P.S. See the PWS-10 link in my signature if you haven't already -- you'll then understand my enthusiasm for your work!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Nice done. Very hard to see that they are even paper.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

These are real beauties!! Brings back some wonderful memories...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Excellent work! I'd like to see the list of subjects and publishers. I think I recognize the Pfalz D.III as a Marek Pacynski design.

P.S. See the PWS-10 link in my signature if you haven't already -- you'll then understand my enthusiasm for your work!

Chris, so right you are!!! The Pfalz's Max Holtzem livery was a repaint I did years ago. It was a learning experience with Corel Draw as I had never worked with vector art in my life. The Albatross is also one of Marek's beautiful designs as is the Fokker D.VI. The P-40 is a ModelArt kit by Emil Zarkov. He is rather famous for the 1:32 scale F-15. I could never manage to build it! I have a Ju-87 of his that I will attempt one day. The Macchi C.202 Folgore is from Digital Navy. His card US battleships are beautiful. Back in the day I had a forum, cardmodels.net. I made the mistake of parting with it but during that time I made so many friends in the hobby. I was just looking at your PWS-10. I'd say you have some skills mister! Thank heaven for laser cut formers! I hated slogging through 1mm board with the trusty number 11's getting duller by the inch. Did you fix your spar? 

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Very nice "paper planes" Ron, they're something I never got the hang of.😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

7 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Did you fix your spar?

Yes, I did, thankfully. I built Marek's PZL-50 years ago for the Marek Marathon at Paper Modelers, then attempted his He 51W, which I tried three times without success -- ran insto some insurmountable problems with trying to get my printer to size the parts correctly. I still have his Bloch Mb.152, Hawker Fury, and Curtiss P-6E in my stash, along with Emil's Avia B-135. I may have to build the Fury, in Spanish Republican markings, as a companion to the PWS-10. DN's V108 is the subject of a tutorial I wrote for MSW.

So tell me, did you do some of the other Marek repaints that were at one time available at eCardmodels?

Edit: Was cardmodels.net the forum that got taken over by Zealot?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Edit: Was cardmodels.net the forum that got taken over by Zealot?

That was me :( Stupidest thing I ever did. Hard times, sick wife, all the excuses. I still have a look in the wayback machine when the need arises. That was almost 20 years ago when I first started it. 

I started at the beginning of all the repaints on Papermodelers. Unfortunately I didn't have the patience nor the talent to keep doing them. There was a gent helping me out with the first one and I couldn't keep bugging him every time I needed Corel help. It did become a fad for a bit though with a ton of brilliant repaints being done. I remember as well that someone else had done a Holtzem repaint after I had. Ecardmodels had them both up for a bit but I like to think mine was better researched :) Were you re-scaling with your printer? I was curious. I still have a  KW Cartoon model Ju-87 B2/R2 with the former set if you care to build it. It's been here for ever. I still have a whack of other formers I was cutting on my laser back in the day you might like. If I remember correctly I have some Marek stuff and a few others...I just have to dig them out.

That brings back some great memories. Cardmodels.net was the first card modeling forum I got involved with in a big way. Zealot proved to be a textbook example of how NOT to run a forum -- they killed it stone dead in just a matter of a few months. I deleted all my content and left. Not your fault -- how could you possibly have known how events would unfold?

1 hour ago, Ron Burns said:

Were you re-scaling with your printer?

I can't remember now what the exact issues were, but it was exasperating. Never got past the outer cockpit skinning. A shame, too, because the He 51W was a cool plane.

1 hour ago, Ron Burns said:

I still have a  KW Cartoon model Ju-87 B2/R2 with the former set if you care to build it.

Thanks, but I'll pass. At this point I'm afraid to seriously think about how many years of dedicated building it would take me to complete what I already have in my stash (I've acknowledged to myself that I'm as addicted to collecting as to building -- but don't tell the missus).

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

56 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Thanks, but I'll pass. At this point I'm afraid to seriously think about how many years of dedicated building it would take me to complete what I already have in my stash (I've acknowledged to myself that I'm as addicted to collecting as to building -- but don't tell the missus).

No worries,

I just thought that I would like to pass it on to a skilled builder as I won't be building it. Since the chemo, my fingers have lost a lot of the sensitivity I used to have. With wood I can at least handle something not worrying about crushing it too badly :) I'm glad to know you got something out of cardmodels.net and I'm even happier that papermodelers has grown like it has. Right now I'm very happy hanging my hat here! 

All the best!

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns

I for one was sad to see what happened to Papermodelers.net..... And Zealot has been a joke since it was formulated.... I still don't know to this day why they banned me... (and at this point I could care less)

If you want to go back 20 years, I was the original Papermodels@Emule... That was me.... Aggregating all the free paper stuff on e-mule where it was easily findable, soon others usurped the handle, (emule has no identity control I found out) and started doing the same with commercial properties, now I'm sad I did it..... After that I quit..... 

Seen too many great designers quit cause of the pirates, and my designs I've taken off line.....

Good to see you here Ron, I used to follow your builds like I follow those here.....

You are another one of those artists......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Awesome job on the planes!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I'm sure none of the rest of us is addicted to collecting! 😆 I figured out that if I build one ship per month I'll have to live to 81, just to complete the ship kits I have! This doesn't count trains, planes, and automobile models. But at least I have an interesting selection to choose from!

You and me both!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

great looking models.........luv the Fokker! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Damn, those are beautiful!  Look better than most plastic models!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 1/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, Egilman said:

I for one was sad to see what happened to Papermodelers.net..... And Zealot has been a joke since it was formulated.... I still don't know to this day why they banned me... (and at this point I could care less)

If you want to go back 20 years, I was the original Papermodels@Emule... That was me.... Aggregating all the free paper stuff on e-mule where it was easily findable, soon others usurped the handle, (emule has no identity control I found out) and started doing the same with commercial properties, now I'm sad I did it..... After that I quit..... 

Seen too many great designers quit cause of the pirates, and my designs I've taken off line.....

Good to see you here Ron, I used to follow your builds like I follow those here.....

You are another one of those artists......

I remember your work putting those links together back then! It was pretty amazing to see folks like yourself putting your time in for the sake of the hobby and all of us. It's what made us a really good community. I'm really happy to see old members still coming together. This forum has that sense of decency. Wooden ship modeling has me feeling like a lost little toddler but man do I drool at all the fine work done here :)