I've been looking through glossaries trying to learn some terms so I can pose my questions better. I'm finding this one very helpful

Illustrated Glossary of Ship and Boat Terms - Oxford Handbooks. I've noticed a couple of posts about rising wood so I thought I would look that up. First I noticed that some of the glossary drawings show rising wood and others don't. My tentative build, Discovery1789, doesn't show any. See pic. So without rising wood do the frames sit right on the keel? Is it possible that there is little or no rising wood in the centre of the ship but there is as you get closer to the deadwood? 

DISCOVERY_1789_RMG_J2021.jpg

Once you read Longridge, it will all become clear. To explain everything that you need to know would take a book - and it's already been written! But, briefly the analogous timber to the deadwood amidships is the rising wood. It is usually only a few inches high at the dead flat and about 3" wider than the keel. It seems to be omitted from your cross sectional illustration above. However, it was standard in those days.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv