Hello from Northern California Foothills

bobandlucy

Hello all, I'm Bob. I retired last year and needed a new indoor hobby as we were in "lockdown." I finally decided on wooden ship models. I started with the Model Shipyards Grand Banks Dory, which may be finished soon. My Dads nickname for me was "Spaz," and not without reason, so it's surprising that I have not destroyed this boat with one of my patented "moves," haha. I did break a couple of pieces. . .

Anyway, I found that I really enjoy this, and have three other models waiting. I was lucky to have found this site, and have reviewed all the build logs for this model. Such an invaluable resource for a new modeler, and thanks to each of you. My model is full of flaws, but certainly would be a lot worse if not for this community.

dory.jpg.1e2a4cec11905f621b9e09fda06208ac.jpg

Hello, Bob. Which foothills are we talking about? I grew up in Humboldt County, and before I moved to South Carolina five years ago we lived in the foothills east of Mariposa. Sadly, for me at least, they are expecting snow over the next couple of days, while here we have seen none so far this winter, and the window of opportunity will be closing soon.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW Bob!

Im over in Santa Rosa but used to live in Paradise. I have family in Rockland as well so I know that area well. Make sure to start a build log for your Grand Banks Dory, it’s a great first model! 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Welcome to MSW, Bob. Nice part of California from the times I've passed through it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

34 minutes ago, Keithbrad80 said:

Im over in Santa Rosa

I lived in Rincon Valley for four years as a kid, and my dad taught at SRHS.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

12 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I lived in Rincon Valley for four years as a kid, and my dad taught at SRHS.

Small world! I went to Montgomery and live in Bennett’s valley now. 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Welcome Bob. I live in Sacramento and it's always nice to have another fellow northern Californian on board. This is a great forum with lots of experienced modelers who are always willing to lend advice. It's not too late to start a build log for your dory boat. It looks pretty darn good in your photo.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome to MSW Bob! Yes, by all means start a build log. The rest of us get to see your progress photos (and don't be too intimidated by that - everybody's very supportive and helpful, and there's none of us that haven't made mistakes - usually LOTS of them).

Instructions are here.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Good to have you aboard.

Steven

Hi Bob and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have done a very nice job on building your Grand Banks Dory.  That kit seems to be a very good kit for the first time builder of a wooden ship model.  We are glad to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

57 minutes ago, BobG said:

Welcome Bob. I live in Sacramento and it's always nice to have another fellow northern Californian on board. This is a great forum with lots of experienced modelers who are always willing to lend advice. It's not too late to start a build log for your dory boat. It looks pretty darn good in your photo.

Thanks, Bob 

Bob, and from the PNW warm :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 months later...

Nice to see there are a few of us here in the same area.  I'm here in south placer area (rocklin/loomis).  Just started here with Covid two and my first build starting with the Artesenia Latina - Virginia which I thought was a pretty good model for a beginner (but not too beginner).  Haven't select a new one to start next yet.  Would love to find if there is a local shop anyone has found to actually look at some of the kits.  Found the Virginia at Fast Track Hobbies in Rocklin but they are very limited stock.