Hello from Queens

Hello There,

I don't have too extensive of a history building models, and barely have the space.  I live in Queens, NYC and have started building models over the past 3 years.  I have built 3 plastic ships, 1 simple wooden ship and a couple airplanes.  Nothing too fancy, and it usually takes about a year to finish each of the ships.  

I was on a vacation up in Acadia National Park and stumbled across a place advertising Model ships.  I went it and it turned out to the the showroom/HQ of Bluejacket Ship Crafters.  the models were beautiful and inspiring.  Seeing a kit of the Yacht America, and being a big America's Cup fan, I quickly bought the kit before realizing what I was getting into.  I have since realized that as excited as I am to build this model, I don't have the space and am instead reading posts and learning the new techniques I need to learn before building America.  

There are many tools I will need to acquire but I am excited about this next challenge in model making.

I am in my mid 30s, working in advertising and building models in my spare time.

Welcome aboard! BlueJacket's owner, Nic Damuck, and one of their designers, Al Ross, are both members here. I'm sure they'll be interested in seeing your project get underway.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you.  Yes I found the forum because in  the Bluejacket box there was a paper saying I should join the forum and create a build log.  

I only have the deck on and ribs, so really nothing to be done until I get more tools, and have the space to build, but so excited reading other people's builds.

Thank you fore welcoming me!

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You might consider joining a ship model club.   I am with the Ship Model Society of New Jersey and we are always looking for new members.   We have folks in our club from Brooklyn, Staten Island, and even Weschester and Rockland.    But there are other clubs as well.    We meet at the Roseland Library right off Rt 280 but lately we have been meeting virtually and would like to continue with that capability even after we can meet again in person.   If you are interested, PM me and I will make sure you get an invite to our next virtual meeting which will be the 4th Tuesday in February.   

Bill

SMSNJ

Welcome to MSW.  By all means start a log.  It's a great way to meet people, get help, and stay enthused about your model.  As for room, some build at the dining room table, in their laps even.  And a word of caution.. only buy tools as you need them.  I'm a tool-holic and let this serve as a caution..... :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Revolver Ocelot, or should we just call you Shalashaska? 😀

Welcome aboard MSW.    It is great to have a "youngster" join our ranks!!!   You will have access to thousands of mentors here so fear not regarding minimum experience, space, and tools.    

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold