Lowell Grand Banks Dory by bobandlucy - Finished - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

On 1/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, bobandlucy said:

After planking (poor job I know, but I was happy to be able to do at all!). I distorted the intended lines at the bow end, due to my clamping method. I'll try and not do that again. . .

103_0692.thumb.JPG.527a94fa828170ec38fbb0c0b624b233.JPG

I'm working on planking my dory now, do the planks set flush over the previous our does it over lap?

Butterball, to the best of my understanding the bevel lines should marry to the next plank. Consider the curvature of the frames.  Without a bevel on one side, you'd not be able to meet the lines.   They kind of overlap, but it's not a full overlap. I know this is confusing. If I had the means I'd draw a picture. There are pictures and explanations somewhere on this site, I've seen them, can't find my way back at the moment. Draw yourself a picture, I wish I had, exaggerate the curve of the hull, draw the planks in cross-section as flat, and you will see how it goes.

I hope a seasoned vet will jump in and help you. I I find something in the meantime, I'll be back.

Bob

b

14 hours ago, Butterball said:

I'm working on planking my dory now, do the planks set flush over the previous our does it over lap?

Hi butterball,

So these dory’s were clinker built (another word is lapstrake) This means that the planks above the garboard (the bottom most plank) will overlap a little bit, this is different than carvel planking where the planks are joined edge wise. I personally don’t know the benefit for one over another, clinker built seems like it would have been easier to build because you don’t have to caulk between the planks but I’m not entirely sure on that. Hopefully this illustration provides some more insight. 

062AAE42-350E-4524-A50C-1C8E882066F4.jpeg.e531eb28af82b39d7cd094e20ef7c154.jpeg

this model is clinker built so this means that every plank except for the top one needs to be tapered to achieve a tight fit for the plank above it. Hopefully that makes some sense!

Bradley

Edited by Keithbrad80

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

On 3/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, Keithbrad80 said:

Hi butterball,

So these dory’s were clinker built (another word is lapstrake) This means that the planks above the garboard (the bottom most plank) will overlap a little bit, this is different than carvel planking where the planks are joined edge wise. I personally don’t know the benefit for one over another, clinker built seems like it would have been easier to build because you don’t have to caulk between the planks but I’m not entirely sure on that. Hopefully this illustration provides some more insight. 

062AAE42-350E-4524-A50C-1C8E882066F4.jpeg.e531eb28af82b39d7cd094e20ef7c154.jpeg

this model is clinker built so this means that every plank except for the top one needs to be tapered to achieve a tight fit for the plank above it. Hopefully that makes some sense!

Bradley

Thanks I understand much better now.

• 3 weeks later...

Bobandlucy, thanks for this build log.   Nicely done!  I just purchased this kit and I'm looking forward to getting started, and your blog is full of helpful info in knowing what to expect!  I am brand new to modeling, having just retired two weeks ago.  I was going to start with the Bluejacket Yankee Hero, but this Dory is much less expensive, and will teach me (hopefully) some great skills for future use!  If mine turns out as nice as yours, I will try the 2nd in the series, the Norwegian Sailing Pram, next.

Iraymo, thank you. I started this model several months into my retirement. Retirement is great!

This is a learning series, and the techniques taught outweigh in value whatever results you may achieve. One thing I have learned since retirement from a very demanding, exacting occupation is that now, there are no inspectors, no bosses- it's just me having fun. 

The people here are not judgmental and have helped me a lot.

Bob