HMS Triton Cross Section by Rusty - FINISHED - 1:48

Awesome comings there Rusty, the red heart looks superb, never used it myself but after seeing that I may consider it, is it good to machine, hard enough to hold a sharp edge or are you just that good with the joinery now.

Love it all man, you always inspire me to better and greater things.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve had to spend the weekend before building a deck for one daughter and t

hen went on a little 4 day vacation and just got back. Here is an update on what I

had done but didn’t have time to post. Also there is a whole lot posts I have to catch

up on. Wow you all have been busy. ;)

Thank you Shannon, the Byrnes saw makes all the difference.

Hi Bob, I do like the color. Of course I got it from Hobby Mill.

Hi Joe, It has been quite a while now hasn’t it? Great to hear from you.

Hi Ben, Yes it is hard. Might even be harder then Boxwood. As I said it’s the saw.

Now that you have one I expect you to practice and be able to do it too. :D

Thanks Wayne.

I’ve made the hatch grate using a technique I copied here. I’ll try to explain it in case

others haven’t seen it.

I used 1/8” boxwood and a saw blade that is .040” thick.

First I used a piece of scrap basswood to make the jig, I cut a channel in the basswood

the width of the saw blade. I then cut a strip of wood the same thickness as the blade and

inserted it into the channel so that 1/16” showed. I then clamped it to the top of the Byrnes

table saw making sure that the blade was the 0.40” away from the channel. 

post-43-0-88772200-1368404399_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-62609500-1368404402_thumb.jpg

Next using the jig I cut a series of slots in the underside of the boxwood board,

post-43-0-76271100-1368404405_thumb.jpg

and then sliced the board into strips on the table saw using a fine tooth blade.

The strips were cut the same thickness as the blade. (0.40”).

post-43-0-05108000-1368404409_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-18963100-1368404412_thumb.jpg

I then assembled the gratings like we do when we buy them precut.

post-43-0-74674100-1368404415_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26500600-1368404419_thumb.jpg

I hope that makes sense

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That is a good looking grating. It looks really good against the red coaming. Nice color contrast.

Russ

Very well done and explained, Rusty.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Rusty, that is a clear and concise method and the end result looks amazing, well done and thanks for showing us.

Regards

Martin.

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Thanks for posting Rusty - thats similar to my technique - but ive simplified it a bit further.  I use the notched pieces to create the desired rectangular size of the grating.  Then rather than "honeycombing" the rest with notched pieces (at 3/16 scale I'm using 1/32nd thick stock which can be delicate and break easily) - i simply use square dimensioned 1/32nd strips for the grating pieces that run vertical and rest on top of the notches of the horizontal grating pieces.  

Hope that makes sense ?!?

Chris

Nice gratings Rusty, and thanks also for the "how to" explanation - takes the mystery and "fear factor" out it.

Thanks Pete, Mark, Paddy, Martin, Bob, Ben and Grant.

Thanks Russ, I was hoping the colors would look good and was pleased with the results.

Thanks Chris. Sounds like a good way to do them and I’ll try it next time.

Here they are the hatches just set in place.

post-43-0-07150500-1368649308_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-55099500-1368649311_thumb.jpg

And here I have glued them in place and started the deck planking. I'm continuing to use

Holly planks with black paper for the caulking

post-43-0-75403000-1368649304_thumb.jpg

I'm off to continue the planking and will use boxwood for the tree nails like on the lower deck.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The deck framing looks very good. So long as the paper you use is not too thick, the caulking lines should be okay.

Russ

Beautiful Rusty. The bloodwood really is a wonderful touch.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice job Rusty.  I love seeing the inards on these ships....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Gotta say man, I have seen Jeff's holly and it's superb but next to the bloodwood/redheart it looks outstanding, awesome contrast.

Every update you do makes me sooo jealous of your skills and insight, I want to gain your skills and insight brother.

Ben

Looking good, I never had the confidence to use paper and was happy with my 'paste' approach ala John0868 but that in itself caused a need for excessive sanding later so swings and roundabouts really..

Joss

Thanks Russ, Grant, Mark, Martin and texxn5.

Ben, Thanks but it’s no real insight. I just like the colors and I

love playing with different woods. Just to throw a curve I decided

to make the gun carriages out of bloodwood. It will be interesting

to see the contrast between the two.

Joss, That’s why I stuck with paper on this one. I will try the stain

sometime though. You and John0868 made it look so good.

Most of the deck planking has been completed. I just have to make

the bitts and plank around them, treenail it and sand away.

post-43-0-65686700-1369339126_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-75961300-1369339129_thumb.jpg

With the way the time is going by it could take awhile.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty

You are using a 4 plank shift pattern on your decking, right?

Nice use of colored wood. Really nice.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks Pete.

42rocker, At the 4th plank the pattern repeats it’s self. I don’t remember if it’s called

a 3 or 4 shift pattern.  

Speaking about gun carriages made me wander off and start cutting parts for them

just to see how they look. I do that waaaaaayyyyy too much. :huh: 

I glued the plans to some bloodwood and used my table saw to cut it out. I increased

the depth at each step. I repeated each cut on 4 more pieces before adjusting the depth.

Good thing I did too becauase one broke while cutting out for the axles.

Here is one with a plans in place and a second one cut out.

post-43-0-31280400-1369421476_thumb.jpg

And more

post-43-0-41024300-1369421479_thumb.jpg

And compared to a piece of redheart so you can see the differance in the two colors.

You also can see how nice and tight the grain is.

post-43-0-69413300-1369421481_thumb.jpg

Now I'm trying to decide if I should continue on or get back on course. :wacko: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

Nice work! Can you please confirm, in your last post the cut out gun carriage is Bloodwood, and the piece it is leaning against (in the last picture) is Redheart? Is that correct? From the pictures (if I'm correct), the grain in the Redheart looks to be tighter/closer/less noticeable than the Bloodwood. Both look very nice!

Thanks Pete.

Hi Grant. Yes the large piece is the redheart and the grain is nice and tight.

The carriage is bloodwood and has a much more pronounced grain.

Looking back I find I didn't explain it well. Sorry.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Rusty,

I've never seen either of those timbers "in the flesh" but have been considering using one or both of them for a future project that will involve use of coloured timber in lieu of paint. Both of those timbers look nice and each might have it's own particular use. Thanks for the clarification.

OOOOOOhHHHHH.... Love the redheart.....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: