Gaff downhauls

allanyed

I have spent well over an hour going through books and drawings but cannot find any information on where the fore gaff downhaul or vang is belayed on any appropriate Gloucester fishing schooner that might apply to Ernestina/Effie M. Morriseey 1894.  I have the information for the main gaff, but not the fore gaff.   Any help will be very much appreciated.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ron,

Thank you but while Chapelle is great and my "go to" book for schooners,  he shows where the downhaul goes on the aft end of the gaff itself but nowhere does he show where it is belayed.  He gives two choices for the main gaff downhaul or vangs , but not the fore gaff.   I think I would be okay that it is the same rigging for Bluenose, but I don't see the downhaul on any of the rigging drawings I could find for her.  I was hoping that with many Bluenose models built by members here, someone will have information.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan

I just found this posting, so I understand you email

I will post photos on how down hauls are tied off on my Bluenose log.  I am restarting that to complete sails and that will include gaff down hauls

Main gaff has both p and s going to the rails

Fore gaff drops straight down to starboard fife rail

Cheers