Rigging Supplies

Up until now I have used the rigging supplies provided with the kits I have built with a few exceptions. But I have discovered a couple of other kinds of suppliers that others may have access to in their neck of the woods.

As for rigging thread I like using seine twine which I have sourced from a local chandlers here in Victoria. The black seine twine comes in a variety of diameters which I generally use for the standing rigging. It's actually tarred nylon and so it doesn't have the "fuzzieness" of rigging thread that comes with most kits. The tan line comes in only one diameter so I am carefull where it's used to try and keep it to scale.

IMG_2240.JPG.632ef33553b3c9f8f1cbc70d500691f3.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG.a7273aa29017946a901dae122992940e.JPG

I have also sourced some wire rope at the chandler's but have also found some at the local bead shop. I went there to see what kind of chain I could purchase  in preparation for rigging the Cutty Sark which I'm building. Lo and behold, they also had small gauge wire which would be suitable for my current project. Here is a photo of the wire rope I bought at the chandler. They also need wire sleeves so as to crimp them. Splicing would require teeny tiny hands...

IMG_2239.JPG.4e290fccb70f8ccf6e05ad04184764a6.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG.7547d6e7003d52b1afee89b826be96e7.JPG

I was pleased to find some small gauge chain which I will need to rig the Cutty Sark. This I found at the bead shop and they has several sizes for various purposes. Of course they will have to be painted before they go on the model.

IMG_2234.JPG.2331d0bf5747997da601b31a9f484615.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG.d254ce83e2c3d0a80ef1e6c6f66d6be4.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG.6e3546c79b0fc8bd1a0c525171959d96.JPG

I'm sure that some of you will be familiar with these sources for rigging supplies. But for those of you looking for chain, wire and rigging thread, these are great options which are likely cheaper than model kit suppliers.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Greetings from the Mainland,

What are the diameters of the seine twine?

I just bought a spool of the AWF 60 lb test bright wire from Amazon for a totally different purpose - to restring my parallel ruler on my drafting board.  Remember to remove the nylon coating for your model.  This wire is stainless steel, so it would be good to know if it can be blackened.   Lastly, some people may want to know the diameters by test.

Edited by lehmann

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

Bruce has asked about the diameters of the seine twine, so this morning I dusted off the digital calipers and took some measurements. Her's a pic with the results...

IMG_2244.JPG.186e13b28d2a9bd5c88511fd868c722b.JPG

Thanks for the tip about the nylon coating Bruce. I'm repairing a model of a West Coast seiner and will keep the stainless colour so I'm not sure if I'll need to remove it. I'll do a little experimentation.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Super!  I should have thought of bead craft supplies that abound in local stores these days.  They'd have fine chain, small tools and stuff.  I think that seed beads would be OK for use as pulleys on a 1:150 scale clipper (an Academy plastic kit having extended yards for the studding sails).  Somewhat larger ones could do for deadeyes - yet to hand tie ratlines so small may try my aging fingers, so perhaps I'll just glue them in place with CA applied with a toothpick.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I have spent quite a lot of time haunting antique shops. I have collected a lot of old cotton and linen thread - people actually collect cotton reels - which is (in my opinion) often better quality that the tread produced now. I calculate diameter then make up appropriate diameter ropes using various numbers of threads on my home made rope walker. It is now one of my favourite model related pastimes. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have demoed full-sized rope making using a home-made spinner of three wooden gears driven by a central cranked gear (all mounted between two boards and held by a sturdy vertical saddle makers clamp.  Kids love to crank the rig (with directions) as I make sure nothing goes awry on the other end or in-between.  There is a free spinning hook on a wheeled come-along as the rope produced is shorter than the initial length of the set-up, and a weighted three-groove thing-a-ma-jig travels along letting the rope make itself in the process.  'Guess a mini rope maker for inside wouldn't be too hard to devise.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

You can buy rope walks.  There's been a lot of good reviews on the one from SyrenShipModels.  (Chuck's company).  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)