HMS Beagle by Pete D - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

Hi Pete,

You are making fantastic progress with this model, at this rate you should have it finished in a couple of weeks time.  Mine by comparison is taking much longer as my time is very limited unfortunately.  I like to think I'm building it in real-time :) 

I found the work on the small boats quite a challenge in their own way too.  The quality of your workmanship is excellent and when finished you should have a mighty fine model of the Beagle, which you can be rightly proud of.

I continue to watch with much interest as it's providing me with knowledge, ideas and inspiration for my own work.  Keep up the excellent work!

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Started the bowsprit again after I had managed to salvage some of the more important parts . When attaching the blocks , it's recommended in the plans that one uses 0.15mm thread , but I found the thread to be really fragile and continued to break when I attempted to tighten any of the knots. So I decided to use a slightly thicker 0.25mm thread that I had previously used on another build . Its a slightly different colour , but did the task perfectly

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

When I attempted to sand the seating down , I found that one has to be really careful , as it is easy to remove the stain that I had applied eralier. So I came up with applying the painters tape to protect. This enabled a little more freedom in the sanding

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

You will notice that the saddles on the yards look a little "grubby" . I had thought that perhaps the paintbrush that I had used had maybe not been cleaned properly , but after multiple attempts at cleaning , and resorting to a new paint brush the varnish with, I realised that some of the stain tends to come off the wood during the course of varnishing. I did contemplate starting again , but decided to keep these. I will be more careful when I work on the main mast yards.