HMS Beagle by Pete D - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

Hi Pete,

You are making such rapid progress with this model.  (I'm just getting to the end of the second planking with mine.  I'm hoping to pick up the progress in the coming weeks.  Work has been a bit busy recently :( )

Good to see that not only do you have great speed but the quality of your workmanship is extremely high.  This build log is providing some fantastic insight into what lays ahead for me.  I shall be following your progress very closely as you advance with the rigging.

Keep up the excellent work.  

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

• 2 weeks later...

I have continued on  the process of rigging me Beagle . I thought I would show you how I went about this process. Any comments will be appreciated , as to method and process. This sequence was for the rigging of both lower and upper shrouds on the foremast.

First I measured off the lengths of  the lower shroud needed before attachment to the Mast

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

I then decided to try a different method for the upper shrouds. When I worked on the upper shrouds of the main mast , I pretty much used the same system that I have  just shown. It just appeared to be really hard work working in space , small , and the anchor point were really "brittle" , I was afraid I was going to snap the mast.

I decided that I could do all the siezing required , before attaching to the mast , in a more comfortable space away from the ship. When done I could then attach to the mast and proceed further

So I did the siezing in the conventional way in the vice

IMG_1783.JPG