Armored Cruiser Georgios Averof by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - 1/700 diorama

A model of Averof was in my mind for some time, but the resin kit from YS was really expensive. I dont have much experience with scratchbuilding, only kitbashing, so I decided that the best course of action was a small waterline diorama in a familiar scale. So 1/700 it is! I'll propably add photo etched railings so that will help. But needless to say the ship comes up quite small.  All this because the Royal Louis kit is really tiring me out...

The diorama will show Averof in Faliro as she is today. 

So, materials are foamcore, cardpaper, superglue balsa and melted spruce. 

I went for a simple bread and butter method (the ship is tiny) It will require a lot of filling and sanding though

First steps

1.jpg

1b.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This looks like a fascinating project, off to a great start!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Excellent choice of ships and fantastic progress George.

This ship is certainly unique. Not quite a Cruiser, a Battleship, or a Battle Cruiser, yet it has survived for 120 years in almost operating condition while almost all of those other ships are long gone. I hope that they realize the desire of a few years ago and are able to return her machinery back into operation and she will again be able to sail under her own power some day. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

George, About 15 years ago I spent a happy day with friends wondering round the Averof in Athens. She was being refurbished as a display ship at the time and we were lucky to find an enthusiastic technician who took us on an extended tour (the asbestos was a bit worrying). She is a fine example of a WW1 armoured cruiser and I look forward to seeing your model develop.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Now this is a very interesting log! Great start George.

Visiting Averof next time I am in Athens is now on the priority list.

Actually, recently I read that they contemplated restoring the engines but it is completely out of the question. Apart from being prohibitively expensive, it seems that the whole ship would need to be cut to pieces or something similar.

Yes, well, her engines are not the main issue. The problem is the last time she had her boilers retubed was in 1928. And they still burned coal. They are now beyond any functional restoration. 

As you can see the engines are in good order, certainly restorable, but it is impossible to practically feed them steam.

Not to mention the screws, shafts and rudder have been removed to seal the hull watertight. 

14692161_10154707888669884_6094498926595507019_o.jpg

19390688_10212189965057696_862619546297331523_o.jpg

Edited by GeorgeKapas

George, do start separate threads for the two new ships.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Stunning work  made even more special  from scratch.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1