Norwegian Sailing Pram by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:12

Rudder work looks really good, Bob.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Rigging is done. Brutal, but fun. I was trying to get the sheet line through the middle eye on the boom (where I had broken it) and it broke again. I did an in-place repair, as I could not see starting over. I was able to CA glue it back together reasonably straight, but it is more visible than before. During this operation I spilt a good blob of CA onto the hull interior, and did not notice until it had dried, and anyway my hands were occupied. I don't know if I will attempt to correct. Sometimes it's best to walk away for a while. I think artful placement of the oars may obscure this (to all but myself), or maybe I can make something, a bucket or picnic basket or whatever, to set in front it. I also lost the brass eye to the break, but had some small eyebolts and put one in the remaining hole. A little out of scale, maybe. . .

The manual calls for passing the traveller line through holes in the stern transom knee. This is a typo, should have been stern quarter knee, but there were no holes. No big deal to drill them. There is a hole in the transom knee, but it is unused.

The boom hit the rub on the mast, but a little high- that's the end result of my not adding a stop to the mast step. I tried to improvise, but saw potential for damage, so the mast is resting on the floor.

I wired up the block for the traveller upside down, the hole for the rope should have been at the top.

I can also see that the under sizing of the sail (see earlier post) left more mast exposed above the sail, but it's probably no more than 1/4 inch extra.

104_0044.thumb.JPG.e3590ec955c6307e09016d480b52ade9.JPG104_0047.thumb.JPG.0dd0ec3e968f266ced987132ce59c2e7.JPG104_0048.thumb.JPG.9b27e5deca6de71788c0536dfcc4aec3.JPG

I just have to finish the oars, and coil the ropes and glue them to the floor. I'll make one more post at completion and call it good.

I can recommend this kit to other beginners, after they have completed the dory. I bought all the necessary tools and some of the optional ones, and used them all. The jeweler's broaches are a must-have, and they are beautiful little things in themselves. The techniques taught in the manual will serve well into the future. I learned so much, including terminology and some history. Based on my experience with this model, I ordered the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack yesterday.

Edited by bobandlucy

Congrats on the completion, Bob.  Looks really nice! Know the feeling of being finished...

So... what's next?!? lol

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

On 2/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, bobandlucy said:

I botched a part and am waiting for it's replacement. Therefore the hull construction is on hold. I decided to build the sail.  Another problem arose as I used the sail pattern as supplied assuming it was to scale. It was not, and the sail is somewhat undersized. Looking at another log for this model, I see the same results, and it still looks OK, so I will proceed. The photos show the holes/cleats on the upper and lower spars more or less lining up with the sail corner holes. Since the sail is undersized, the choices are to align one end or the other, and "reach" with the lashing to the hole or cleat on the spar, or split the difference and "reach" on both ends of the sail. I am leaning towards centering the sail. 

I am quite happy with the teaching David A. does in this kit. Shaping tips, use of jigs, etc. 

First pic is my sail, second is from the instruction booklet. Apologies for my long-windedness.

908401004_pic4.jpg.fdcb4edfa50cb1a9d169860f36e03864.jpgSail_Manual.JPG.ce1a302d33815247e631a5ac7d7ffa8a.JPG

The sail plan on p. 39 of the instructions was inadvertently reduced, but has been fixed for future kits. The correct measurement of the foot is 6". The corrected instructions can be downloaded on the Model Expo website. Thanks to customers for bringing this to our attention. -Ed, Model Expo

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/8/2021 at 8:03 AM, bobandlucy said:

I'd like to give credit to John and Ed at Model Expo. They have been very responsive in providing the replacement part, listening to feedback, etc. Ed indicated that there is no errata sheet for this model at this time, but he was open to the idea of producing one. This attitude will weigh in my decision to order the lobster smack model next or just plunge into one of the more advanced models which I have.

An errata sheet is definitely needed.  Several mistakes and MANY omissions are making this project more difficult than it should be.

CaptJoe

Seattle/Tucson

Current build: Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed build: Grand Banks Dory

On 2/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, bobandlucy said:

She is free of the building board! Glued in the quarter knees, dagger case, and internal frames. I found these parts difficult. Will have some gaps to fill, and I can see that material might have to be subtracted at some support points for the thwarts and stern sheet in order for these to sit nicely. I have done a better job controlling/removing glue squeeze out this time. Getting close to painting of the hull, which will take me a while, going by my experience with the dory.

103_0823.thumb.JPG.6a9ca2e170e845f99e24f7e431409c96.JPG

I couldn't understand how to place the supports without shaping and fitting the thwarts at the same time.  Very difficult to get the supports "level" for mounting the thwarts. Also, the stern sheets are to be "connected by two cleats", but no source for the cleat material or placement is noted (sigh!!).

CaptJoe

Seattle/Tucson

Current build: Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed build: Grand Banks Dory