Lady Nelson by Grimmy - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First Ship build

The Lady Nelson will be my very first ship build. A few months ago I built a plastic model ship and had a lot of fun doing it, however it was very straight forward and didn't provide much of a challenge. After doing some research I found this website, and after reading some of the posts I decided on this to be my first build.

It just arrived today! I was very excited and wanted to get started straight away.

1228305132_Ladynelson.jpg.80247c1df91679895ba47b70d894b2d0.jpg

However I calmed myself down and made sure to go through all of the plans and instructions. After not being able to understand the instructions completely I decided to hold off on starting and doing some more research, as well as getting some more tool/materials that I will need as I progress. 

I am very excited to be joining this community and look forward to learning, messing up, but most of all to enjoy myself! 

I would appreciate any help and advice you guys could give, and I will be updating this log once I'm comfortable enough to begin my build.

I finally got started on my kit this weekend. I glued together the keep with the bulkheads and plank termination patterns, they all fit pretty well. Then I glued on the false deck, again it fit pretty snug. But after about 30 minutes I took another look at it and realized it was slightly off center, so I unglued it with some warm water and put it back together.  After letting that dry I started sanding down the bulkheads, but will need to continue another time as the weekend is already up. I did end up buying a toolbox as my workstation was getting a little cluttered.PXL_20210206_074407389.thumb.jpg.88e5f66263f16b2076f1a89f2b45951e.jpgPXL_20210207_054144122.thumb.jpg.7bb436cb2a60fc5583b890cadb33efca.jpg  

Rick, 

I have been watching Lady Nelson builds with exactly that in mind. When I can finally start a wood kit, I plan to bash this one into Hornblower's Witch of Endor from Flying Colours. I think she's the closest one to her of the cutter kits out there. Looking forward to this one as well. 

Grimmy, my first build was also the LN.  I did a lot of researching  on this site before I got too far along.  There are two build logs that I highly recommend. 

The first is:

Vossie is a very experienced carpenter who sometimes goes off on way off tangents but I learned a lot about this hobby and how he built the LN from this guy.  Unfortunately, he fell off the map before completing the build.  But it's worth going through his entire log.

The other log is: 

Glenn is an experienced builder who got back into the hobby with the LN.  Same here: learned a lot about this hobby and how he built the LN from this guy too.  His log is shorter but very informative.

Also, before starting planking, I highly suggest you watch Chuck Passaro's videos on the process (search Chuk's videos).  Edge bending of the planks is essential to  getting a good outcome.  I didn't watch them before I started and got a result that I was advised to start over and I needed to rip off 10 planks, buy replacement stock and start over.  Just trying to give you a heads up.

Another good tip is to follow some of the good build logs to get good building tips.  I'm in the middle of the second planking and I started this in June.  Being very patient in this hobby is a key to success.

Good luck and welcome to MSW and the LN club.

John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

• 1 month later...