Correct Knot at the back end of the cannon

I don't know the correct term fot the round thing at the back end of the Cannon but what is the correct knot tied around the ball to secure the cannon to the bulwarks. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

37 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

That knob is known as the button, and the whole fitting on the end of the gun as the cascable.

Before the advent of the Breeching ring atop the cascable on Blomefield pattern guns, the rope was simply looped around the button, or spliced around the button.

No knots as such are involved.

B.E.

So no knot it is then .Just looped around. Thanks for a prompt reply.. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

• 1 month later...

One reference I found for this said that a "cut splice" was sometimes used to attach the rope.  Sailors being what they were, it was often called something referring to the female anatomy due to it's appearance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_splicing

Note that the naughty sailor's term is cited here.

I made "cut" splices for the cascobels on the cannons on my current build. It took some research and a few attempts to find a way that worked well. I describe it in this post:

Note: If for some reason for me the Forum refuses to use the correct link and this link opens at the first post go to the second page and scroll down to post #59.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=650378

Edited by Dr PR