King of the Mississippi by Adrieke - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with LED lighting

thanks Dragzz. i really like workign on the railings , its those pesky white triangles that drove me insane. i am going to get some cardboard to put against the sides so i dont accidentaly rip one off

thanks Robert :)

thanks Joe :) and you are welcome ;)

thanks Sjors. yes and no still lots of work but i am aiming to have her ready by end of the year

thanks Mick :)

thanks Randy :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

looks awesome Adrieke!    something to really be proud of. :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sweeeeeeet !!!!  Looking nice Adriaan.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Popeye : and i am proud :D

thanks Piet :)

Beautiful Adriaan, just beautiful. You must be so close to the end now...so what will be your next endeavor?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks Robbyn :).

i have got the Gorch Fock to work on and i am thinking to finish off the stagecoach or restart on the Endeavour .

That is one sweet looking riverboat, Adriaan.  I can't wait to see her lit up and chugging upriver.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Adriaan,

Great work!  I know there were times when you struggled (not necessarily with the build) but it all has come together and you have a steamboat to be proud of! Congratulations! :10_1_10:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

thanks Mark :) i promise i ll take some pictures withe lights on . but first i want to a bit more finishing off on the railings and stairs

thanks Jim :) its been a fun and a sad journey and i am glad i am able to finish it

some discomfort maybe.........but not sad.  you picked up the ball again......and I must say,  you really ran with it!   this build is almost finished,  and you have another one well into the works.    can't keep you down,  good buddy! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

finally a small update

installed the small steps in front of the 3rd deck doors

also working on the top deck edge, but the parts stick to everything but the deck . I am using the cut-out of the deck to form the brass parts and keep them in place while glueing

I am now thinking of cutting a small slot around the edge so that they fit in there

post-622-0-57834600-1384428472_thumb.jpg

hello my friend, i still continue to watch your build, although it has been a little while since i last looked in on you, nice work, hope you are well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

sounds like you have a solid plan.....this is good  :)     your getting nearer to the finish.........your progress looks very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Robert :)

cutting a little slot all around the top deck has made it easy to fit the brass parts :)

post-622-0-03631000-1384587219_thumb.jpg

with that done I can now finish the walkways that give access to the steering cabin

post-622-0-67427100-1384587237_thumb.jpg

I did notice that the ladder is not high enough (8 steps according to AL instructions) so I ll need to extend them with one more step. the sides are painted white so I should be able to cover up any gaps ;)

Edited by Adrieke

looks great! your moving right along now!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Adriaan, you are so close now. These finishing touches are really bringing her to life!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Rolling, or should I say floating, along very nicely Adriaan

<p><strong><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Keep it up :10_1_10:</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"> </span></strong></p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Mick</span></strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Current Build --- Will Everard --- </span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Current Build --- Endeavour --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/</a></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Guitar --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Barcelona Taxi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- London Tram --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- OcCre Mississippi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/</a></span>

I think "rolling" works... as in "Rolling on the River"... :)  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Popeye. i better if i want to finish her by end of year :)

thanks Robbyn :) still lots to do but i love working on her again

thanks Mick and Mark . might see if i can get that song and play it while i work on her :P

She's really looking fantastic Adriaan!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Adriaan,

While the Tina Turner version is great, I think the CCR version is better personally.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

thanks Piet :)

Mark I am with you on that :) . I need to get a good mp3 player and download (legally offcourse ) all those good old songs.

in the end I had to add 2 steps to the ladder . here I have put a first coat of paint on it

post-622-0-54270600-1384665551_thumb.jpg

here my setup for tapering the dowels

post-622-0-36675200-1384665556_thumb.jpg

had a few accidents. the middle dowel broke in half :(. but with some CA and tape I was able to fix it and finish the tapering

the one the right broke also , I had just enough of the 4 mm dowel left to replace it

post-622-0-36546800-1384665560_thumb.jpg

bit more progress on the masts etc..

post-622-0-65759700-1384689165_thumb.jpg

the holes for all the eyebolts are drilled but they have to be installed after the mast is in place

post-622-0-45510100-1384689171_thumb.jpg

I tried to use a drill to taper some dowels...what a fiasco :huh: I don't know what wrong, but they all broke off at the base and went flying across the room. Glad to see you have figured it out!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

It's times like this I wish I still had my lathe

I do mine by hand as I am fairly sure then I won't destroy them  :P 

So far I haven't  :cheers: 

<p><strong><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Keep it up :10_1_10:</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"> </span></strong></p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Mick</span></strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Current Build --- Will Everard --- </span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Current Build --- Endeavour --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/</a></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Guitar --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Barcelona Taxi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- London Tram --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- OcCre Mississippi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/</a></span>

well Robbyn mine broke off in the middle and at the end. the problem is that these dowels are only like 4 mm in diameter so without something to hold them at the end as with a lathe as soon as you put some pressure on it to sand you bend them.

after the first breakage :

the solution is to first lightly sand all over to make sure its all smooth, i wrap the sanding paper all around it and then use my two fingers of my other hand to let the dowel spin on top (the drill is set to about half the maximum speed)

stil dont understand how the top of the other broke off , except maybe the quality of the  wood

my first attempts at tapering by hand (that was on the Virginia) didnt go to well, too much irregularities in the thickness, not too mention sore arms lol

i got a better result this way so i ll use that to taper all the masts on the GF

one day hopefully i can afford a small wood/metal lathe

Very nice Adriaan !

So I'm not the only one who breaks the dowel.....

I think that we not support the other part of the dowel, and that's the reason that it breaks.

The dowel can make funny turns and that's not good for the wood  :P

Then you have two dowels....

But I will find a solution for that...maybe a jig ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif