King of the Mississippi by Adrieke - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with LED lighting

thanks Sjors

John has done his stairs before me Sjors :P

i forgot to show you that i added a bit of height to the railings

this makes it that the side of the stairs will not be visible through the gaps in the railing

post-622-0-38636600-1364211018.jpg

i need to smoothen that part a bit and paint it white like the rest

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

lol Sjors

i think we learn from eachother. although from now on he ll be steaming ahead in the lead so i can learn from him :)

Adrieke,

That's a very nice improvement on the stairs. Concerning building speeds ... in Holland we say 'Hardlopers zijn doodlopers' (runners kill themselves on the run), better take it easy. You'll finish her eventually :) :) :)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Carl. my mom used to say : "haast en spoed is zelden goed" ( haste and speed are rarely good) and i keep to that and before i go ahead with the next step plan it

didnt do anything tonight (birthday party for our youngest) but have been thinking about how to fix up the two smaller smoke stacks at the back.

they seem to spring out of nowhere. on the second deck. i assume they go into the engine room compartment at an agnle of 90 degrees.

my plan is to cut some left over dowel at about 27.5 degrees and glue 4 of these together creating a 90 degree 'elbow' .

post-622-0-41520300-1364305168.jpg

i am really strugling with getting the handrails on the stairs. thye have to bend and twist and it seems the ca glue is not holding probably due to the staining :(. i have tried being carefull but the whole construction of the stairs is starting to fall apart

have put them aside for now

i soaked and bended the rubbing fenders for the last 2 decks

post-622-0-51196600-1364382971_thumb.jpg

also lined the stair openings

post-622-0-61369200-1364382973_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-06327800-1364382977_thumb.jpg

the reason why i wanted to finish that is that is the last i need of the 1x4 sapely strips

i had planned to use the left over of these strips to scratch build the outside frames of the 24 windows

i have calculated i need about 912 mm of them and i have about 990mm left :)

so i better not mess them up too much

Sorry to note your problems with the stairs. Indeed the staining is causing the problem that the CA does not hold. Had the same problem, so have removed the paint from areas where it has to be glued to the stairs, which fixed this problem. Am curious to see at the time the result of the scratch build windows and doors.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Thanks John

i will try do the same. its a 4 day long weekend so i should haev some time for that and get a start on the windows

Happy birthday with your youngest :).

Hope you will fix the stairs handrails.

I've soaked them first in water, then dryfiited them on the stairs, after drying I used carpenter glue (wood) and no CA.

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:
Creole Queen scratchbuild and Korean Turtle War Ship

Finished: King of the Mississippi, Bon Retour, Chinese Pirate Junk, Nave Egizia
Next builds:  Gundeck Vasa; Bounty (bashed)

thank you Wim :)

i did soak them a bit but i couldnt get the bit to hold on to the stairs while drying

dont worry i will fix them one way or another :)

hi Carl

the railing bars or only like 1.5 by 1.5 mm wide so no chance to put a dowel in.

i am leaving it for now. thtas what i usualy do and then think about it and eventualy get back to it and finish it :)

the same with the scratch build windows . the procedures i worked out wherent working  so i left them

now i am back at them.it took me about an hour to make the first window and its not perfect but i feel like its going to work

post-622-0-31003900-1364523227_thumb.jpg

i will take some pictures of the little jigs i made to make it easy to make them consistent

i remembered i stil needed to put a coat of paint on the brass railings. i need a few of them soon

i bought a test tube of ivory white and its been fine but today th epaint wouldnt come out until i pushed a bit more and all of a sudden half the tube splattered out . not to waste any of it i decided to paint both sides at the same time and hang it out to dry ;)

post-622-0-03125800-1364523230_thumb.jpg

Hi Adrieke,

I see that you are back at your windows.

It don't look bad at all.

It's tiny so you have to use a tweezer and that works a little harder then you can make it by hand.

When you are at number 10 it goes perfect  :)

I keep a close eye to you.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Adrieke, nice windows, they are so tiny, nearly the scale of the gratings. Well done. Have you checked whether the height of the windows are matching the windowshutters (if you use the shutters afterall). And by the way, you need two more windows for the third deck state-room. Most probably this is all obvious to you but thought it does no harm to give you a mnemonic on this.

I paint the brass raillings piece by piece. Donot have an airbrush and by using a normal brush I am not able to prevent paint drops on the opposite site (caused by all these tiny railings).

Well the easter weekend has arrived, so wish you happy building days.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

Adrieke,

For the next time if you're struggling with a paint tube. Don't press on, but try to open it up through the top with an awl or something a like. It will save you some paint, and frustration.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Sjors

yes i am gettign in a good routine now :)

thanks  John.

yes i ll be using the shutters :

post-622-0-14973500-1364607772_thumb.jpg

yes i checked and i need 24 windows in total. but i appreciate mentioning it :)

i paint manualy too and yes there are probably a few drops to clean up later on but this way its a lot quicker

Hello Carl

i ll sure to follow your advice next time

OK so here is how i am making the outer frames of the windows

first cutting them too size. i made some marks on the mitrebox so i dont need to keep penciling off the length

post-622-0-62566200-1364607773_thumb.jpg

i push the top and bottom in the mold. they fit tight enough to not fall out

post-622-0-00153700-1364607775_thumb.jpg

then i push the two vertical ones in after dabbign some glue on the edges wiht a toothpick

post-622-0-47503900-1364607776_thumb.jpg

after waiting a bit for the glue to set i use the other part to push the frame gently  out of the mold

post-622-0-16450900-1364607778_thumb.jpg

stacking them in a small container to finish drying

post-622-0-20124300-1364607782_thumb.jpg

the procedure for the inner part in the next episode ;)

i am a bit concerned wiht the brass railings. i noticed that they are not all the same.

there are 63 plain ones. about 5 that have an extra horizontal part and 10 that are the same as the 5 but without an outside vertical part

calculating i need about 70 railings and if you look on the pictures they are all the same type.

not sure how difficult it wil be to cut off the vertical bits

post-622-0-19032800-1364607780_thumb.jpg

Nice window frame production Adrieke.

Regarding the railings, my kit consits of 63 plain ones, 5 with an extra horizontal part and 10 with an extra horizontal part without an outside vertical part. Think I will use them for the 3rd deck balcony and the small stacks.

Regards,

John

<br />

<br />

thanks John

have finished them all today :D

post-622-0-19263600-1364627291_thumb.jpg

same railings as me then. i think 63 is just enough for all the outside railings and the stair railings

the 6 for the smoke stacks i ll do with the other ones

now i made 2 differnt inside frames for the windows. i have already adked the fmaily and all 3 went for the same one

so its already decided but any comments on which window you like best: the ones wiht 4 or 6 little panes

post-622-0-67158100-1364627288_thumb.jpg

You've made a nice jig for windowframing.

In my case family would opt for the one with 6 panes, indeed the one with most work ;).

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:

Since I presume my task will be cleaning windows, I prefer the window with 4 panes. Seriously, in this scale the wood of the inside frame is rather thick which is less notable with 4 than with 6 panes. (not to say it is less work :D  ).

post-447-0-96213500-1364628386.gif

John

<br />

<br />

haha John

i ll get the 'zeemlap' (chammy)  for you ready :P

Hi Adrieke -- I've been lurking around your forum for awhile now, and finally decided to jump in. I have a King on order, which should arrive next week. I'm looking forward to casting off with you, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. If you haven't already, you may want to read Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi". I'll probably reread this myself to get back 'in the mood'.

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

welcome aboard Barth :)

i saw on Johns topic he has already listed the many errors in this build. nothing is really dificult too overcome certainly  since you already have build some ships

never read Mark Twain but i am sure its on my ebook somewhere as a free download

both John and me wil look anxiously out for your build log

did a bit more finishing work on the 2 nd deck light construction

the top bit holds to the bottom bit with 3 bits of wood that wedge into it

the top wil be painted black so as it wone be too visible from the ventilation windows

post-622-0-42239300-1364694185_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-07095200-1364694188_thumb.jpg

when studying the plans i noticed that the outside railing of the first 2 decks will be at an angle

this because the decks get progressively smaller.

Goodmorning mr Electrician, do you mind to tell the outcome of the number of window panes. Did I won the white Mercedes Cabriolet indeed by giving the right answer ?

John

<br />

<br />

Nice work Adrieke :).

@John 

Did I won the white Mercedes Cabriolet indeed by giving the right answer ?

If you win, we always start with the fridge, next good answer a washer ;)

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:

i ll be going with the 4 panes John . you just won a year trip on the kom washing windows :P

John when you start on the outside railings be very careful. i made a copy of the plan to cut and use as guides to mark where the vertical 3x3 dowels need to go

i tought to be clever and make holes thorugh the deck so that the the lower 2 decks is just one dowel. after cutting the hole i notices that there was somethign odd with the spaces between them on the plan.

yup not all spaces are 35 mm wide. at the front the middle one is way longer and the 2 next to it or slightly longer. since the brass railings are only 35mm we will need to cut two halves and join them up.

i hope i didnt cut the hole in the wrong place. i will find the round precut top of the railings to make sure

Happy easter Adrieke, am ready to collect my price post-447-0-35381600-1364719053.gif

Have not started to look at the railings and whether or not to make holes to have one dowel for the three decks. Luckily with a wooden built mistakes can be restored, so think you do not really worry about the holes in the front.

Have fun these days.

John

<br />

<br />

vrolijk pasen

just drop by at my place whenever you are in Sydney :P

well after checking i am happy that i did make the hole at the right place.

but i have to think about if i am going to cut all the holes (about 20 on that deck ) as it nos easy

anyway i finalised 2 of the windows and put them in a partialy planked part of the stateroom

far from perfect but the best i can do at this moment

post-622-0-52267200-1364777615_thumb.jpg

making the inside cross the same as the gratings i gave up on as the sapely wood brakes and splinters too easy

so i ll be making 2 pieces of 5 mm and one piece of 7 mm and line them up in a cross