1:48 HMS Granado ‘Cross Section’

James H

1:48 HMS Granado ‘Cross Section’

CAF Model

Available from CAF Model for $325.00

IMG_0165.jpg

The Granado, a bomb-vessel that was originally fitted out as a sloop (and ended her life as a sloop, also) was thought to have been designed by Thomas Slade. She is definitely a subject which has proven quite popular over the last 20yrs, with POB kits of this released by Amati etc. CAF Model’s intention to create a POF of this model was met with much interest, but before an eventual release of a full hull model, they have released a cross section kit in the same 1:48 scale. For only a section of a complete vessel, the box for this release is quite heavy and still of a reasonable size. Packed into a slimline corrugated box with a Granado label affixed to the lid, the kit reached me in the UK wrapped in a thick layer of extra card to protect it and reached me unscathed. 

IMG_0166.jpg

Tom at CAF Model sent this kit minus two small sheets of parts which are now en-route to me, as he wanted MSW to be able to feature this as soon as possible. When those parts arrive, I’ll update this article with those extra photos. I quite like innovative features in model kits, and we’ve certainly got that here with the unique (at least I’m pretty sure!) building jig that accompanies Granado. Remember, that like all my reviews, this is an ‘in-box’ review and is designed to show you the contents of a kit as it comes, with any observations etc. How a model builds will be dependent on various other factors, but I will be featuring this as a build log on MSW in the coming days. 

CAF kits now have a break seal on them that needs to be cut through before opening, and when the lid is up, this quite heavy box can be seen to be totally chock-full of parts and other components. This kit has four heat-shrunk packs of timber in both laser and CNC cut types, a pack of strip wood, a box of detail components, a box containing the build jig, two sheets of rolled plans, and an instruction manual in a sleeve, also containing a small fret of photo-etch parts. 

IMG_0168.jpg

I’m not too sure what timber this model is made from, but it has a nice pale-yellow hue and a very fine grain that’s certainly akin to some of the fruit timbers I’ve used over the years. As stated, all the parts sheets are sealed in shrink wrap. This is quite thick and needs a sharp knife to break through. Many of the parts sheets are just a few inches long, ranging from some quite thick sheets, to one which is just a veneer. Most are CNC cut and also pre-shaped on a multi-axis machine. 

DSC_6394.jpg

Two similar packs to this are included in the parts total, and all contain exclusively CNC-cut/routed parts. The steel rule in the photo will give a good idea of the size of these sheets.

DSC_6395.jpg

Here you can clearly see the CNC routing and the extra shaping on some parts. Also note the laser engraving too, for the bevelling lines. These lines are also engraved on the rear of some of these sheets. All sheets are clearly numbered with laser-engraved marks too, but the actual parts numbers will be checked against a part plan in the manual. This helps to save precious production time as engraving the sheet would doubtless add extra expense to the modeller. 

DSC_6397.jpg

DSC_6398.jpg

The fames for the model (18 in total), are constructed in the same manner as their real counterparts, and also include the ‘bends’ in them that were typically seen in vessels of this period. This is where the CNC routing comes into effect, producing those complex shapes for the modeller, saving not just time but also the complications that result from recreating such parts by hand. To be able to position these frames against each other accurately, a series of temporary resin inserts are also included. We’ll see those shortly.

DSC_6399.jpg

DSC_6400.jpg

DSC_6401.jpg

Here you can see the breakdown of the frames into the various components including futtocks and chocks. A nice enhancement would be to use something that would represent fastenings in the complete frames…maybe black fishing line/filament which would look like nail heads.

DSC_6402.jpg

DSC_6403.jpg

Deck beams are pre-cut to shape, including rebates for deck support timbers etc.

DSC_6404.jpg

DSC_6405.jpg

More frame timbers with their engraved position/bevelling parts. Here you can also see the frame sections (top) which form the bottom of the frames that sit upon the keel.

DSC_6406.jpg

DSC_6407.jpg

DSC_6408.jpg

These photos give an excellent idea of the CNC shaping of the most complicated timbers, allowing this to be a nice introduction into POF modelling, whilst removing what would be the most frustrating elements. 

DSC_6410.jpg

Two longer packs include more CNC-machined/routed parts, but also a series of laser-cut sheets. 

DSC_6411.jpg

Clearly seen in this photo are keel parts, knees and parts for the gun mount. 

DSC_6412.jpg

DSC_6413.jpg

And now some laser-cut wood! One thing you won’t need to worry about is shaping any planks, especially internally, where that is a little more complicated. Granado is planked internally and externally, on one side only, giving the viewer the ability to see a complete hull on one side, and skeletal on the other. You will also see cannon carriage parts here too.

DSC_6414.jpg

This is the last pack of timber parts, again comprising both CNC and laser cut elements. 

DSC_6415.jpg

DSC_6416.jpg

DSC_6417.jpg

More planking here, and also parts comprising the gun deck and hatch covers. Sheet 1A is a veneer. These appear to be facing parts for at least two frames. 

DSC_6418.jpg

This is a highly prefabricated kit, making it perfect for that intro to POF, as can be seen from more pre-shaped planking etc. Whilst a gentle sanding of all laser parts is a good idea to remove any surface heat marks, you would need to see how the edges look when together as far as the char goes. Instead of using this for ‘caulk’, it could be a good idea to remove this char and simply use a pencil to represent caulk, as it’s less stark. 

DSC_6420.jpg

DSC_6422.jpg

DSC_6423.jpg

DSC_6424.jpg

80.jpg.8729db4f54f6c2ae86a6d755bfba2d85.jpg

The largest box inside this kit contains that unique feature I mentioned earlier. That is a clear acrylic building jig. Not only does this take over from the traditional ply jig we are used to seeing, but it’s also engraved so you can check alignment from every conceivable angle. This is assembled using short screws which also fasten into a series of specially cast resin blocks which keep everything square. The jig itself is a work of art. It’s a shame it’s disposable. However, more acrylic parts are included for a final display stand, engraved with the ship’s name. All acrylic parts are protected with a layer of peelable film.

DSC_6425.jpg

DSC_6426.jpg

The second and last box contains all the various fittings etc. 

DSC_6427.jpg

These are the resin blocks which are used to construct the clear assembly jig.

DSC_6428.jpg

I mentioned earlier about resin inserts which temporarily sit between twisted frames, to help with their positioning in relation to each other. These are those. When the frames are set, these are disposed of.

DSC_6431.jpg

Screws for assembling the acrylic building jig.

DSC_6429.jpg

These parts are very obvious. Here you see not only the main mortar with its beautiful detail including royal crest, but also the two cannon for the framed side of the hull. The other pack contains the capsquares for the mortar, and these are actually workable! Casting really is very nice and there’s minimal clean up. As these are brass, that aspect will be very simple with a nice set of files. 

DSC_6432.jpg

DSC_6433.jpg

More packs contain eyebolts, bombs, deadeyes, eyelets, swivel gun mount, rigging cord etc.

DSC_6434.jpg

DSC_6435.jpg

There isn’t too much strip timber in this kit, but there really doesn’t need to be. A small length of brass wire is also included.

DSC_6436.jpg

A single fret of PE is included. Production is excellent, with small connecting tabs. You’ll find cannon and hull fittings here etc. 

Plans and instructions

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Two sheets of plans are included. One of those covers all the frame assemblies, whilst the other also has various illustrations of the completed hull to help with overall assembly. These are quite long sheets and need double rolling to remove the curl in the sheets as they are quite tightly rolled. 

284ffb4abd.jpg

4701f17b62.jpg

27504c8f3e.jpg

89893fd929.jpg

The instructions are line drawing format but also contain colour. These look pretty easy to follow and the writing is clearly understandable. 

Conclusion

As well as being an interesting subject of a popular vessel, this is going to be a perfect introduction to the world of POF. Being 1:48, this is also a nice size too without being too large for your shelf. I know some modellers would like to build in 1:48 but could find it restrictive when it comes to displays. This should alleviate that problem! Overall, this looks a very nicely designed and produced kit with some very nice and innovative features. Most importantly too, it looks to be real fun to build! Head over to CAF and snag yourself one.

My sincere thanks to CAF Model for the review sample seen here.

CAFmodel.jpg.09e6cfe64a6e49ed71a4a85313f0a25f.jpg

01.jpg.0e067cc316284321acb60f13fb8b7857.jpg

02.jpg.7c78124ba74b8f26ffcfac50511b9bd5.jpg

05.jpg.d5920f1f5a03d5731ebde5fc9fdefe45.jpg

07.jpg.08738bc342c8b8e50e3c2f9c7027918f.jpg

08.jpg.c5178711984b7aeb0a9dc04ec72943f7.jpg

69.jpg.e5a6d448b36b004c9df94fa92cdaf039.jpg

72.jpg.92045c76f7ef92ea3724919e04b1d395.jpg

118.jpg.3fb39da5b1992879c62bd4f9e4f50748.jpg

Nice review and I look forward to your build log for it....maybe a group build if there is enough interest.   Hopefully we can get some replies from the members here if they are interested in starting one.  We need a new POF Cross section group and a kit is perfect for folks who dont have all the tools to build one from scratch.  We need at least six members to start one....

Chuck

I will be in for a group build. I was contemplating a scratch cross section (and still might), but I’d definitely enjoy a group build on this.

I'd be interested, too. I have one on the way; just biding my time due to my eye issues. Should be good in 6 weeks or so.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you very much.

I want to talk about some of my feelings about this kit. I think it will help you to make it

First of all, although it is a cross-section model, it still has its own characteristics and construction difficulty

It has a lot of areas to clear,Especially in the red area, it will affect the installation of ribs and keel

01.jpg.e8f79aa70a1722556735ca30d55653bd.jpg

For the rib grinding, this is very important, is the biggest difficulty

850481107_2(2).jpg.95bda5ab2bc9ef2f1eec64ddac27e8ac.jpg

4.JPG.69a48cea81373c7058e6f34cdedecf9c.JPG

The outline on the bow side is red, and the outline on the stern side is green768334000_5(2).jpg.2ebc0e53cba5a52bc16e7369fb493a95.jpg5.jpg.b8cd1b27aeb720297b67e4156af1908a.jpg

5.jpg.b8cd1b27aeb720297b67e4156af1908a.jpg

You'll find the grinding lines on both sides

6.jpg.7aedbb0ab943c5888178717408b2705f.jpg

7.jpg.d6e9e08b32abe7aabb3d341efed3f09c.jpg

The accuracy of the black line on the wood is not the highest, it is just an auxiliary line

More accurately in plan

8.jpg.5991ca6b980381472d273391f8f30d20.jpg

8-1.JPG.34f49de9872d7ae28e22f70c7d0cc17b.JPG

I am looking for six definite members who have bought this kit so I can start up the group area.....I think Jim is also doing so.

So please post here is you are among those who have bought it and will be starting soon.  I think we have three so far.

Chuck

Group is set up and at the top of the page in the group build drop down menu.

Start a build log as soon as possible....

The parts are cut out by a CNC machine and the builder must fit and final-shape the parts.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I scratch built one years ago and this is very inviting. Hmmmm.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I think I need one of these... should be able to work it in next to my Winnie.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

• 3 weeks later...

Due to some unforeseen circumstances (potential move), I have to postpone this build but I am still highly interested in it. I'll do my best to get into the logs as much as I can. Sorry about that.