Viking Drakkar by Balclutha75 - FINISHED - Amati - 1:50 - TAKE II, First Ever Model

Greetings! It's been a while. I have taken most of the summer off from modeling, but now am back.

I've been slowly painting the shields. The ones that come with the kit look like stamped copper, and don't take to paint all that easily. But here is the idea I'm working towards. These are not done yet but just positioned to see where I might be headed.

IMG_4209_768px.jpg.874364fc1f560979f96f825f38d621aa.jpg

To get here I first painted the face of the shields black, planning to keep the boss and rim black as if they were iron. Then I painted the wooden planks with various colors. Here is the black paint assembly line, with some of the unpainted copper ones for reference.

IMG_4097_768px.jpg.ecd08a58b52219bb6d6ea72491efd6ec.jpg

The rear of the shields I'm attempting to make look like weathered wood, with marginal success. Here is work the in progress.

IMG_4211_768px.jpg.d0225b7d235ab305d0fb1b276ed89630.jpg

In the above picture you can see one unpainted shield in the foreground. The bunch above that are in the early stages of adding weathering layer.

To the left there are two farther along in the weathering process, just in front of the painted shields. These are acceptable to me, though I may do some more work.

Also, in front of these are two experiments with possibly gluing a thin strip of wood to simulate handle. Of course I'd paint the wood beforehand if I actually decided to do it, brown to simulate leather.

On the right are some printouts found online of possible patterns I could try to paint. Although there is no way I can do the detail work, perhaps I can give an impression of what it might be. The jury is still on that.

Thanks for looking.

On another front I've been pondering what to do about the dragon figurehead. The kit comes with a cast metal dragon head.

IMG_4212_768px.jpg.7da34a1df097a4ae710afb9b0f205a3d.jpg

I'm not really crazy about that, so I decided to try my hand at carving something out of plank of wood. I glued an image found online to a 5/8" plank.

IMG_4094_768px.jpg.d4e171197ee5dba7c3b7b69343bd10d3.jpg

I worked at it with a dremel, drill bit, files and sandpaper. The result looks more akin to an angry duck than a dragon. You'll have to take my word on that.

So it will be back to the carving board, but painting the kit figure remains a possibility.

Welcome back, your ship is awesome, I have this one to do (someday). .Nice work I wil be looking at this log often , I am sure.:10_1_10:

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Nice work! I built the same ship. I painted black then dry brushed some copper on it. See my link. 

Edited by Keith_W

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

The answer to carving is persistence. The first attempt is almost always a disaster, but with practice you'll develop your skills. Keep at it.

For shield patterns, have a look at the bottom of the page at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html - spiral arms seem to have been very popular, but by no means the only decoration on Viking shields. Unfortunately many so-called "Viking shield patterns" on-line are just made up.

It's unfortunate that the shields supplied with the kit are so thick. Real ones were less than 1/2 inch. Still, making a huge number of shields of the correct thickness would be an enormous task (don't ask me how I know!), so you're probably best going with the ones supplied. Only you and I know the difference anyway :P

Steven

On 11/27/2022 at 9:34 PM, Keith_W said:

I painted black then dry brushed some copper on it. See my link.

Thanks much Keith, nice job on your ship and the dragon head. I like your display. I confess I had to look up "dry brush" and now have learned something. I may wind up doing something similar with the kit dragon, but I think I'll try my hand at carving at least once more.

13 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

The answer to carving is persistence. The first attempt is almost always a disaster, but with practice you'll develop your skills. Keep at it.

Thanks for the encouragement Steven. I can also report the second attempt was a disaster, though not as bad. A passable angry duck, at least.

I have see that shield page you linked to in the past, but thanks for pointing it out again. I'll try to incorporate some of the patterns in figures 11 & 12 into my shields. I have a question about all this that I think I'll post in the paint forum later today.

I actually had thought of making my own shields by carefully using a mitre box to cut slivers off a dowel as a start. But then what would I do for the boss, the rim and boards?? I quickly realized I don't have the required combination of skill/tools/patience to make that effort a success. As you say, no one in my audience will know the difference!

Edited by Balclutha75

Try for an angry goose. Anyone who’s been up against one of those will know that berserkers weren’t just Viking legends.

For the record my carving skills are abysmal. That being said… you know Aflac may have an interest in a new logo! I’m always amazed with this hobby how persistence pays off. No doubt your skills will get where you want them to be. Enjoying your build!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

3 hours ago, Balclutha75 said:

Here's my duck.

Well, my research has uncovered what appears to be a historical precedent . . .

image.png.595822f941fbf0fb0327a915329f72e4.png

Steven

• 1 month later...

Slowly (as ever) moving forward on the shields. I posted a question in the tips forum, and followed a suggestion there to use graphite paper to transfer the patterns from a printed template to the shields.

Here are the printed patterns, scaled to 18mm diameter size. These were gleamed from various online sources including Steven's shield side posted above:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html

1478121606_PrintedShieldTemplate_512px.thumb.jpg.b52a49d2443f06effb7822de7744a942.jpg

I cut  one of these out, poked a hole using a center punch, stuck a piece of graphite paper under it, then tried to transfer the pattern to the shield. It kind of works! You can get an idea here.

IMG_4327_512px.jpg.33f87345dbccd93a8d46b6a8667970d3.jpg

Work in progress:

IMG_4326_768px.jpg.1c7bb08ca06d8a9539803708b61007d2.jpg

Since the ship will be displayed with the starboard side facing the viewer, I can choose the nicer looking ones to face outward and regulate the flops to the port side facing the wall. 😆

The chance exists that I can put the coveted "finished" label on this log later this winter, we shall see. No rush in any case, but I do have another kit in the sitting wings for quite some time now (Master Korabel St. Gabriel).

Thanks for having a look.

Edited by Balclutha75

Awesome sheilds,  makes me want to start my Drakkar, but I got three on the go now lol, very nice 😀  And have a Happy New Year  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 4 months later...

Greetings all, I have been quite inactive for some time, for a variety of reasons, but have started to make some more progress in the last week or so.

I am calling the shields complete and have mounted them along the gunwale

The oars on the starboard side are also glued in place. My intent has always been to have the oars extended on one side and in their racks on the other. This is dictated by the size of the shelf where the ship will be displayed, not wide enough to have the oars in use on both sides, but I wanted to show them .

IMG_5739_768px.jpg.4bcb7a5489d5f1d13c2c35cee558deab.jpg

IMG_5737_768px.jpg.66cd48e7ccda734bbaa2ce37f3e9598e.jpg

Next I'll move on to the dragon figurehead, and have this in mind now.  The wood is cut from a basswood block I bought at the local Michael's hobby store.

IMG_5745_768px.jpg.c7baadb4c24162474d785ceb69ae05f5.jpg

I will start chipping away (pun intended) and hopefully it turns out as intended. We shall see.

The crew is now getting excited as they see some progress at last!

IMG_5744_768px.jpg.ab284d3b10c8f2cc7765fb31f117b986.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Which one is Ragnar?

A couple suggestions, if I may. 

1.  I recommend using a harder, finer grained wood than basswood.  I personnaly like boxwood, but I am sure there are others.  Folks here can advise better than I.  Rockler, or other stores in your area  might have small pieces of a suitable wood (for practice and final version).  Alternative-check with the wood vendors that are MSW sponsors.  You may be able to get suitable sized boxwood custom cut, rather than getting a big hunk.

B.  Be sure to scarph your figurehead.  See attached (yellow lines highlight scarphed seams).

dragonhead1.jpg.7892a865ab16b4ae1c9bf1457d89f2ea.jpg

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I'd agree with Chuck about the timber. If you can't get boxwood, try for one of the fruit woods - apple, cherry - I use pearwood (from the neighbour's tree) and have found that if you pick a fine-grained piece (some of them aren't - they've grown too quickly) they carve very nicely. Apricot's good too.

I've not seen your completed shields before. They look very good. Nice work.

The figurehead you've chosen is one of the more attractive ones in existence - though it's not from a ship (IIRC it's from a bed-end or something - or perhaps from the frame of a tent). But then NO Viking ships' figureheads have ever been found, so we have to work with what we've got. Just be glad you're not trying to copy the dragon head carved by the unknown Viking woodcarver referred to as the Academician :D.

image.png.8729dc1e97e1a95b6b821898089d9342.png

Steven

5 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Which one is Ragnar?

He is their mythological inspiration. But the guy on the left is their Captain Aegir, who is "associated with brewing ale" in old Norse records, according to Wikipedia.

2 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

I'd agree with Chuck about the timber.

Thanks Chuck and Steven for your guidance on the wood. I will take it to heart and look at MSW sponsors and see what I can come up with, and now plan to place a small order. I see at least a couple there. I'll dive into that tomorrow. 

And for the tip about scarphing. I would have omitted that, but now will do.

I've seen pictures of that astounding Academician head in reading about the Oseberg ship. It is a thing of complex beauty.

In looking online, and here at MSW build logs, I read about Viking styles, such as Ringerike and Jelling. To be honest it was hard for me to pin down differences. I chose the head I did because the shape resonated, and I thought there is a remote possibility that I could carve it. 

Thanks again.

Edited by Balclutha75

Ringerike style - http://viking.archeurope.com/art/viking-art-styles/ringerike/ - a particular characteristic of the style is big single animal figures.

Jellinge style - http://viking.archeurope.com/art/viking-art-styles/ringerike/ - interlaced animals are one of the main features.

Steven

Following the appreciated above advice from Chuck and Steven, I contacted Joe at Modeler's Sawmill and ordered one each 4 x 4 x 3/16" pieces of pear, boxwood, Alaskan yellow cedar and aspen. He sent those promptly and at an extremely reasonable cost.

He also threw in a few freebee blocks. Wow! Great recommendation.

IMG_5768_768px.jpg.47b27306d06cd757a0ffc722a9add073.jpg

Very exciting to have some real wood in hand. Now the ball is back in my court.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, Mewmew said:

Friend.  I can't wait to see your figurehead.  You are doing such a great job on this boat.

Thanks very much! Here is where it is so far, in between working on a big patio project.

IMG_5825_768px.jpg.a8833c7c64b4da66fc13a7975b8e678e.jpg

I drew a pattern on to a piece of the pear, and have hacked away at it with a jewelers saw. Next I wonder if I should go at it with a dremel, which I already have, or spring for a decent carving tool like a Flexcut 1.5 mm blade? Maybe both?!

Thanks again.

Edited by Balclutha75
typo

Either way, I'd suggest you try doing it on a piece of scrap before you attempt carving your valuable and scarce pear-wood. I use a simple craft-knife and a scalpel, both with No. 11 blades. I tried using a dremel clone, but wasn't too happy with it - a little too dramatic and exciting for my tastes - so I went back to the scalpel.

Steven

And don't feel you have to rush into carving the pearwood. Wait till you feel you're good enough on scrap to embark on the better stuff. You should see my first carvings! (Or better still, maybe you shouldn't - too horrible).

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

Evolution of a dragon head.

IMG_6043_1024px.jpg.4eb98336e826382c05983d440ba46ac2.jpg

These were all done with the pictures #11 blade, some files and drills in a pin vise. Note the oops on the second from right.

From L to R: Basswood, basswood, pear, pear, boxwood, pear. The two in the middle have been turned into practice pieces.

I'm kind of thinking the one on the far right in is a keeper. I might do a bit more carving, and of course some sanding, but getting satisfied with where I'm at.

IMG_6044_768px.thumb.jpg.49b5f36e9615694fdd89410a7284ffd5.jpg

I'll need to figure out a stain or finish and also decide what to do, if anything, about the scales. Might just leave them penciled in? Also, will probably put a dab of red paint on the eye.

Progress!

Edited by Balclutha75