New from Oz.

Flypast

Hello all,

I'm Jay from Australia. New to the site, new to ship modeling but i have been a modeler since 9 or 10....rough calculation, about 45 years. I came here, and to the world of ship modeling, firstly for the beauty of these stunning craft, and secondly for the challenge of creating one for myself....im more than a little OCD so i look forward to the journey. It might even be nice to forge a few friendships along the way 😎

My first build will be...Cutty Sark !! 🤣🤣  I know it's probably been done to death but i love that ship and the lore and history associated with it. I bought the Artesania Latina version which i have found not that easy to get anymore.

Starting soon.

Hello again,

Jay.

Edited by Flypast

Believe me, my young friend,

there is nothing – absolutely nothing -

half so much worth doing as

simply messing about with boats.

(The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame)

Hello Jay and welcome to MSW from the UK.

There is always room for another Cutty Sark, it is a good looking ship and a part of history.

Glad to have you aboard, will we see a build log?

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

10 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Glad to have you aboard, will we see a build log?

Regards,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

Absolutly, thats the plan. 👌

JR

Hello Jay and welcome to MSW. You’ll find a strong contingent of us Aussies here. You’ve joined a very friendly and supportive forum too. There are plenty of build logs for your Cutty Sark here, so a wealth of information from those who have trodden your particular path before. Please do start your own build log too - you will find it the most valuable tool in your toolbox.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

And from another Aussie!

Where are you situated? (Oz is a big country - WA is three times the size of Texas). Maybe one or more members are close to you. Not us in Victoria for the next 5 days, though - back on to Stage 4 lockdown (sigh).

I had the opportunity to see the Cutty Sark in 2009 when I was in the UK - only to find she'd been burnt by some Visigoth with a box of matches and couldn't be visited. Apparently all fixed now, but it was very annoying at the time. Missed out on the Mary Rose, too, dammit!

Yes, do start a build log. The instructions are here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Good to have you aboard.

Steven

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

And from another Aussie!

Where are you situated? 

Thanks Steve,

I live in the deep South West 🙄, about 3 hours south of Perth.

JR.

1 hour ago, Flypast said:

I live in the deep South West 🙄, about 3 hours south of Perth.

Can't be Albany - too far. Busselton? Bunbury? Manjimup? (I grew up in West Oz).

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

6 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Can't be Albany - too far. Busselton? Bunbury? Manjimup? (I grew up in West Oz).

Steven

Close mate....Dunsborough  

Nice part of the world - just up from Margaret River (wine and foodie heaven), a stone's throw from Yallingup for the surfing . . . a short drive to the mighty jarrah and karri forests. Very nice.

Mind you, Ballarat's pretty good, too :D.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, Louie da fly said:

Mind you, Ballarat's pretty good, too :D.

I used to live in Bendigo / Puckapunyal in the 80s, in another life. I loved country Victoria......🤔 mmmm...not so much the city...i imagine is has changed alot in 30 odd years.

JR