Mouldable plastic

Hi all    not long ago i sent for somthing off of  a well known auction site  ,this was some thermosetting plastic   .I wanted to try and mould a handle on to my scalpel   ,now the stuff i got  arrives as beads but when you put it in hot water above sixty two degrees  it changes its state from white beads  to a clear squishy lump   it only takes a few miniutes ,  then pour off the water and then mould it around the handle ,after a few mins of manipulating it starts to reset itself , then when you are happy with its shape either leave it or run it under a cold tap   and    viola!   A handle that fits perfect  and if your not happy reimerse it in hot water again and start over    its reuseable as many times as you like   .  Now im sure some of you would have other uses  for this stuff  so ill name it  ,(  please note i have no connection with this company  i just think its  its good stuff ,)  the company is called     THERMOWORX  the product is called POLYMORPH  it can be coloured  or you can buy it precoloured   and its quite cheap    i bought 100 gram bag for £5  and used just less than half to get a good handle     cheers     sticker(

Good find Sticker

I am OK with my Swann Morton scalpel handles as they are flat which is one of the reasons I went to these and gave up on Xacto, the handles for which are round and therefore can roll.  This can be a bit treacherous should it roll off the work bench as it seems to  always falls blade first and usually right at a thigh, knee or foot.   Using this Polymorph on the Xacto handles to make it out of round or some such that it will not roll could be a useful safety thing.  

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi allenyed      good call on the exacto handle i know exactly what you mean,   so thats my next job for this stuff,   i dont see a problem with it sticking to the round profile of the handle but just to be on the safe side i might file a couple of flat surfaces as insurance      cheers    sticker

I've not used an Exacto handle in many decades, having switched to Swann-Morton like Allan. I'm amazed that they still make their handles round. Has nobody sued them for injuries such as Allan has mentioned? 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

They sell some handles with a lobe to one side, but the one's in many shops are the blister pack with their usual round metal handle. Tape a piece of a toothpick to the side if you want to stop them from rolling.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When I was still golfing and started having problems with my grip strength, I had some extra thick grips put on my clubs.  This allowed me to maintain a firm grip on the clubs without trying to squeeze a too narrow grip.  They were recommended at that time for golfers with arthritis.  They allowed me to keep golfing for several years after that.  

The same principal applies to my hand tools.  When you're working with sharp instuments, you need to maintain a secure grip on the tool or risk ruining your work. (or your whole day with an injury)  In some cases I just wrap the handle with some rubberized shelf liner and a rubber band as shown here.  It's a cheap yet effective solution for me.

100_6579.thumb.JPG.624725ae42b710663f64c4ece3990443.jpg.64b0a7cb0927dd3479f306ccea60f407.jpg

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Some good ideas for those that prefer Xacto knives are given above.  I do like to use the Xacto  handles for keyhole and other small saw blades, otherwise, when it comes to cutting blades such as the all around Number 11, Swann Morton is far superior in a sharp cutting edge as has been reported here at MSW numerous times.    

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

For the round Xacto handles, a simple way to stop rolling is to put tape "wings" on the upper portion of the handle.   I use this a lot not just for Xactos.... but pens, pencils, small screw drivers.  Any small round object that can roll.

DSCF3179.JPG.ad107414a8e22346766a7fb03a290dc4.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Getting back to mouldable plastics.  The chemical name is Polycaprolactone.  Put that in the search area on Amazon and it brings up a lot of products.  8oz (224 grams) for US$10 is about the best deal I see there.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.