HMS Rodney by uncarina - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Here's a more recent update. To build the Rodney with the Admiralty camouflage dating 1942 and beyond, the Pontos set is essential, since it incorporates all of the changes made to the ship. For example, around this time she had 17 20mm Oerlikon cannon, but the kit only provides 13, as well as the quad 0.50 machine guns which were deleted. There were also changes made to the bridge structure, and more pom-pom directors fitted. While the Pontos set is expensive, I figured that since this is going to be my one large battleship build, I might as well go for it. Hope you like her so far!

Cheers,  Tom

qq-3-04590.thumb.jpg.d635aae926155b32436d76ff324e1b0c.jpg

qq-3-04605.jpg

qq-3-04608.jpg

qq-3-04593.jpg

qq-3-04594.jpg

qq-3-04596.jpg

qq-3-04593a.jpg

Edited by uncarina

uncarina,

Very nice work on the photo etch. The photos of the Walrus aircraft sitting on top of that turret made me wonder if they flew it off or removed

it before they fired those cannon...seems like if it was still on there the blast would shake that fragile air frame to pieces - any ideas on that?

I'm not well-versed on battleship operations.

What a Fantastic looking build  - can't wai to see more,    Warm welcome  to  the   "Plastic play Party"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, Shotlocker said:

uncarina,

Very nice work on the photo etch. The photos of the Walrus aircraft sitting on top of that turret made me wonder if they flew it off or removed

it before they fired those cannon...seems like if it was still on there the blast would shake that fragile air frame to pieces - any ideas on that?

I'm not well-versed on battleship operations.

Thank you! I'm using an Optivisor, two viscosities of cyanoacrylite, acrylic floor polish, bending tools, several tweezers, muttering, and some patience! They would remove the aircraft from the turret and stow it; even so, I imagine the blast would be a maintenance concern.

Cheers,  Tom

49 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Excellent choice on that newly released kit. And what a wonderful display of clean and fresh brass..... I feel like it is going to be a pity to paint all these beautiful parts.

Your craftmanship is absolutely beautiful, clean and precise. Bravo!!!

Yves

Yves, thank you so much! I agree about the painting...if the Rodney did not have such a great camo scheme I would certainly hesitate. In the meantime, I have to take photos of what lies underneath! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,  Tom

5 hours ago, RGL said:

Like everyone else, I dream of the day they make it in 1/350. Looking good 

Thanks! Yes, I agree it would be a relatively popular release. Similarly, I’d like to see their 1/350 HMS Abercrombie and HMS Roberts in 1/200 scale. Maybe someday...

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by uncarina

Love these ships, and you seem to be very skilled with the PE.  Definitely post more soon!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Yves, absolutely, and you are very kind! I use an Optivisor, a Xuron photoetch cutter or rounded X-Acto blade, a Smallshop photoetch bending tool, and several different tweezers. For adhesive I use gap-filling superglue, low viscosity superglue, and Future acrylic floor polish. I actually prefer to use the last whenever possible because it is more forgiving for positioning and removal. Otherwise, it's a mindset for the Pontos set: approaching each piece as a separate kit!

Hope this helps,  Tom

Thank you Tom.

Yes, it does help and I still have to play with Future Floor. I have heard a lot of wonderful thing about it, but never gave it a try. I know that experts use it for gluing, and preparing the foundation coat for their decals, on plastic models.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves, I find it to be pretty useful: as a durable clear coat for adding decals, as a barrier for enamel weathering washes, to protect and enhance the clarity of transparent parts, to simulate clear glass in instrument panels, and most recently as an adhesive and sealant. Plus it can be thinned with ammonia. Haven’t tried it on floors yet!

Cheers,  Tom

Same as Yves,    very nice work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

It is just superb. I love your PE skills.

Yves

Thank you very much! After working extensively with 1/350 photoetch, it’s easier (many parts are larger) and harder (there are more subassemblies)!

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Same as Yves,    very nice work.

OC.

Thank you!

Cheers,  Tom