HMS Victory Cross Section Painting Question

I'm building Corel's 1:98 scale Victory cross section. I've got the basic hull section complete (unfinished) with all inside detail and painting complete, except the upper gun deck details and top deck and details. I've painted and finished the decks and details on them before putting the next deck in place, because I can't really work on them once they're covered, and that's worked pretty well. I haven't touched the outside yet, however, except for planking.

My question is: When do I paint the sides (black & yellow ochre stripes) in particular? They'd be easiest before gluing on all those steps, on both sides. I could easily mask and get nice straight lines. But then I'd be gluing the steps to painted areas, which isn't ideal, and touching it all up afterwards. OTOH, if I glue all the steps and such on, there's no way I'll be able to mask straight lines for painting the black and yellow stripes.

With a full model rather than a cross-section, masking would be the way to go, because there's so much more of it than at the steps. But this little cross section is half steps, and presents a very different challenge

What would you do? What have you done in similar situations?

Lots of different ways to skin a cat. For myself, I paint the hull before adding small details.  Using a piece of wire or appropriate treenails to attach the detail, like steps, with CA. There is no pressure or strain on them and this method works for me. Looking at a picture of the model, the steps are the same color as the hull where they attach. You may be able attach, mask and paint each color section as you go. Just a thought. Hope this helps

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Another question on painting the Victory: What color should the exposed cross beams be in the open area in the central quarterdeck under the small boats? On the few models I've seen painted in this area, one had black beams and members surrounding the opening, one was all yellow ochre. Videos I've seen of the Victory have this area covered with a fitted tarp, so I can't tell. In the non-open areas of the quarterdeck floor supports (the "ceiling" of the upper gun deck), the beams and underside of the decking are white, while the outer walls of this deck only were yellow ochre. Seems funny that the beams under the quarterdeck, painted white everywhere else, would not be white in the open area, but I don't know.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, rraisley said:

... What color should the exposed cross beams be in the open area in the central quarterdeck under the small boats?

Anyone? So far, I'm leaning towards black, as there are other black details on the quarterdeck, white doesn't seem to look right, and wood/stain is unprotected. But I'd prefer to be accurate.