Hi

SmellyCat

Welcome to MSW, Mike.   Good luck with the restoration.   If you decide to do a log on restoring it, open a topic in the Scratch area and be sure to label it "Restoration".

From here, it just looks like a good cleaning and perhaps straightening out the sails.   I remember those models from way back when and even saw some in the PX in 'Nam.   Mass produced and didn't cost much. But still there's sentimental value attached to those who own them.  So, do a search in the Scratch area for "Restoration"  in the title and also in other areas like rigging for just restoration and another for "cleaning" and "model" (use both words for this).   There's lots of posts on doing restorations and cleaning.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thx MTaylor,  I wish I knew more about its origin.  Your comment on seeing them in a PX is a great start.  I should have ask Dad about it when I had the chance.   It did have ropes going every where on it but the ropes are long gone. The poor ship sure took a beating from us kids growing up.   .

Hi, Smellycat (I've decided NOT to ask the origin of the name!) and welcome to MSW.

We have two kinds of build log here - one for kits, the other for scratch builds. Your restoration isn't quite either one, but is nearer to a scratch build, so that's probably where you should put your log. The instructions are here. https://modelshipworld.com/topic/8-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-scratch-build-log/

Mark's advice is good. I'm doing a restoration myself (see below). It's actually very enjoyable (despite the occasional melt-down moment). If you have any questions or want to find something out during your restoration, ask on your log. The people here are very helpful and friendly.

Good to have you on board.

Steven

Welcome aboard Mike.   Is this the origin of the screen name?     Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU